PiezographyPro Printer missing from QTR

I am trying to configure QTR with latest Pro curves, but cannot find the Quad3880Pro printer in the QTR drop down list which only shows older versions (K7). In the community download, there are printer packages, but no instructions on how to install them. Could you please advise accordingly.

Look at the left column of text on the piezo website were you download the
package. It describes the install steps.

Also do a google search for install and delete
qtr curves for a longer description.

Best,
Walker

Hi, sorry, I don’t see where it helps. Installing the curves is no problem, but there is nowhere to locate it. My QTR does not list Quad3880Pro in the drop down list, only Quad3880 and Quad3880K7.

What I’ve done is create a folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\QuadTone Rip\QuadTone\ called Quad3880-Pro, and loaded all the curves onto that. QTR Gui sees it all - I assume it will work correctly. Please confirm. Thanks!

You’ll need to delete the curves from any one of your folders that exist
and put them in there. I don’t think qtrQUI sees new folders. It’s a very
old program. I could be wrong. Boot it up and see. :slight_smile:

W

With QTRGui, the list of available curves depends on the Printer Model you have chosen. For example, if the Printer Model is “Quad7900”, then the curves which will be listed in the Curve Setup drop down menus of QTRGui are the curves in folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\QuadToneRIP\QuadTone\Quad7900”. Also for this example, to successfully print you must have a “Quad7900.ppd” file in C:\Program Files (x86)\QuadToneRIP\PPD". See the attached screen shot; the circled part is the Printer Model and the red arrows indicate the drop down menus where the available curves can be selected.

(NOTE: it’s important to know that the default Printer Model in QTRGui is derived from the Printer Name that you select. QTRGui looks for a sequence of numerical digits in your Printer Name and then uses that set of digits to select the Printer Model. For example, if your Printer Name is “Epson Stylus Pro 7900” on your PC, then QTRGui will default the Printer Model to “Quad7900”. If the default is not correct, you can then select whatever Printer Model you want. Just make sure you have a matching folder of curves and a matching PPD file for your printer in the directories as indicated above.)

Dave

Hi Walker

As said below, it does work. When I drop down the menu, the folder I created, ie. Quad3880-pro is there, plus all the pro curves I loaded into it. What I wanted to check was whether this method would ensure the curves would work in the normal way, and control the printer as per usual. Otherwise why doesn’t the new folder appear when I update QTR? Has Piezography organised this with Roy Harrington, or is there some executable file from Piezography that manages QTR that I’ve missed?
Because after much ‘updating’ with latest QTR downloads nothing like this happened.

Jeremy Rabie
Ph 0414 428 471
E jerrab@bigpond.net.au

Jeremy

You’re doing it the correct way. For a new set of curves for a printer, you create a sub-folder for them in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\QuadToneRIP\QuadTone
and they should show up when you restart QTRGui. There’s no install routine required as there is in OS X.

I’d like to expand something that datro said, although by the sounds of it you’re already aware of it. His screen grab shows the printer selection box, which lists all the installed printers in Windows, but because it’s not expanded it doesn’t show the separate ‘name’ and ‘printing model’ selection boxes. The ‘name’ drop-down lists all the installed printers in Windows and the ‘printing model’ dropdown lists all the available sets of curves.

These are sort of independent. On my copy of QTRGui, the available sets of curves is not constrained by the selected printer - it’s up to the user to ensure that they’ve selected a compatible set of curves for the selected printer. Although when you switch from one printer to another, QTR does set a sensible starting point, as described below.

On my copy of QTRGui, I have three sub-folders:
C:\Program Files (x86)\QuadToneRIP\QuadTone\Quad3880
C:\Program Files (x86)\QuadToneRIP\QuadTone\Quad3880-P2
C:\Program Files (x86)\QuadToneRIP\QuadTone\Quad3880-K7

The Quad3880 folder contains the Roy Harrington supplied K3 curves and the others are hopefully obvious. I don’t have the Pro inkset, but I assume that were I to install it then I would simply create a Quad3880-Pro sub-folder and place the curves in there, and then in ‘printing model’ select Quad3880-Pro. I gather this is what you’ve done, and so you already know that you need admin privileges to make changes in that folder.

There is an extra wrinkle. If in QTRGui you select another printer and then switch back to the 3880, QTRGui defaults to the K3 curves, and you have to remember to select the Pro curves. If this is annoying then you can fix it by renaming the K3 sub-folder to something else, and then renaming the Pro folder to simply Quad3880, and restart the program.

The reason the Pro curves don’t appear when you update QTR is because the only curves that the QTR installer installs are the ones that ship with QTR, and my understanding is that IJM now ships the community and Pro editions of the curves separately. To install the IJM curves on Windows, you have to place them in the right place yourself, as above.

Jeremy - perhaps Jeff and I could talk to you offline sometime about your experiences with Pro?

Thank you all very much for your invaluable input. Thanks Dave, but as Brian notes .ppd is a MAC file format, and he perfectly described the QTR Windows structure and what needs to be done.
Brian, will be happy to talk any time. I don’t have any experience with the Pro inks yet, as I’ve been away and am only now setting up my printer with the new inks. But I plan to print extensively in the coming weeks, so hopefully will have something to report before too long.

Dave is right about the .ppd file, Jeremy, but I didn’t mention it because it shouldn’t be an issue. There should be a Quad3880.ppd file in that location installed by QTR. You should need to do anything.

Tip - I edited mine to make A4 the default page size rather than letter. Not hard.

Another tip: - I edited one of my .ppd to add custom page sizes. This is tricker, but not impossible. (On OS you don’t need to do this.)

Re Pro, let us know when you have enough prints under your belt to talk. I assume you still have our emails.

Sorry Dave, I’ve been googling so much looking for answers I obviously can’t remember what was MAC and what was Windows!
Thanks very much for the tips, Brian, I’ll take a look. Still need to locate my .ppd files…
Yes, certainly will. I have Jeff’s email, but can’t find yours. Can you send me your contact details again please, and again many thanks for your support.

No worries. Brian is correct on the additional clarifications as above. As I was learning QTRGui initially I was a bit mystified by the difference between “Printer Name” and “Printer Model” and how these are used to determine the list of curves available in the gui. I was just attempting to shed some light here based on my learning experience.

Brian, one minor clarification I’d like to offer regarding your comment on where to get the Pro curves: IJM (at least currently) makes ALL curves available as part of the Community Edition download, Pro curves included. There is no “separate” distribution for the Pro curves. The PPE (Piezography Professional Edition) product is a set of tools and related files for working with curves, e.g. linearization, blending, etc. and includes additional chapters in the documentation to describe how to use those tools. But PPE does not include curves. Yes, I was initially confused by this as well. :grinning:

Dave