Piezography sample picture

Could you make the file used for your sample picture available ?
I ordered a set of samples last year that contributed to my decision to print with “Special Edition inks” on Type5 paper.
Although I calibrate my CG243 screen with a ColorNavigator/EyeOne combo, I find that the printed result is much darker (and contrasty) than what the screen shows. I can adapt and get the expected results, but the difference between screen and print is really disturbing.
I need to pinpoint what is wrong in my workflow. I was wondering if you could make the sample file available so that users like me can check their setup ?

Sorry, we’re unable to release this sample image because it’s one of our client’s images, and we’re only given permission to print it for samples.
Are you viewing images thru our Piezography soft proof profiles to get a close on-screen simulation to how the print should come out? If not, you can get Piezography soft proof profiles here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?145-Piezography-Soft-Proof-profiles

What settings did you calibrate your monitor to?
What printer model are you using? From your order history, I see you purchased Piezography Special Edition inks from us, but no carts.
Are you printing from mac or Windows? What operating system?
What is the exact name of the curve you’re printing thru?
I can check over settings, etc… then if all looks good, the next step would be for you to print a 21 step strip (from the QuadTone RIP folder, or I can email to you) and mail to me so I can measure and check your output linearization.

Please let me know so I can help you resolve this and get back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply Dana,

I understand your point (still your customer-author would earn an additional recognition in the community by allowing owners of the samples to produce matching prints with their settings)

Here are the details of my workflow:

Operating System:
[ul]
[li]Windows Seven 64[/li][/ul]
Screen:
[ul]
[li]Eizo CG243W[/li][/ul]
Spetrocolorimeter:
[ul]
[li]Eye-One UV-Cut[/li][/ul]
Calibration:
[ul]
[li]Software: ColorNavigator 6.4.6.8[/li][li]Brightness 80cd/m2[/li][li]Black level: Minimum[/li][li]White point 5000 K[/li][li]Gama: 2.2[/li][/ul]
Softproofing:
[ul]
[li]P2-x800-x880-SpecEd-JonConeType5-rgb.icc[/li][/ul]
Printer:
[ul]
[li]Epson 3800[/li][li]<1800 pages printed[/li][li]Three nozzles clogged in Magenta (not consecutive) [/li][/ul]
RIP:
[ul]
[li]QuadToneRip 2.7.2[/li][li]print curve: 3800-3880-MPS-Type5[/li][li]gloss curve: 3800-3880-30000GO[/li][li]2880 dpi Bi-directional[/li][/ul]
Inks:
[ul]
[li]Piezography MPS 7k Special Edition[/li][/ul]
Cartridges:
[ul]
[li]refillable,no-name [/li][/ul]

Additional documents:
[ul]
[li]Pprintout of the QTR calibration mode[/li][li]21-step wedge, measured and processed through QTR’s software “21-patches-out.txt”.[/li][li]Vizualisation of the linearization “Linearization.jpg”[/li][/ul]

The linearization looks pretty bad. I would have suspected that the clogged nozzles would show as a lack of density.
If I remember well, I should not use the linearization correction values suggested in the txt file to adjust the profile (why?).

I will gladly add any additional information needed for your expertise !

Best regards from the Alps

Andreas

Here is a link to a B&W test print that is a free download:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/black_and_white_test.html
I think it does a good job of an acurate test image in that you can see various densities in subtle and not so subtle areas. I think that this would be an excellent image for IJM to use and send out to customers since it’s free to use(but give credit to photographer Keith Cooper for the use of this image).
He also lists other tests that are available as well.

Thanks Keith, this picture certainly does make the best use of all areas of the spectrum, but I still would need a printed version for comparison.
I kind of feel that Jon and Dana’s sample is also a very good choice, and it has the huge advantage that I already have a perfect materialized version from their workshop in my hand; no need for any spectrodensitometer, calibration device, calculation and interpretation of linearization to check if my output (with the same paper/ink) matches theirs: I have a couple of (low-tech) instruments behind my glasses that tell me if I am happy with the result.

Thanks for the detailed information Andreas, and I apologize for not responding sooner (somehow your last message got lost in my email).

We are in the process of deciding on a new Piezography sample image, and may make one similar to Keith’s with a few different images, gradients, etc…

We are also in the process of testing this recent 3800/3880 dark output issue, as we’ve received reports from a few customers. So far, we have noticed Mac 10.9 prints MUCH darker than previous operating systems, and we are continuing testing with Mac and Windows platforms to trouble shoot and resolve this issue.
Based on the information you provided, your settings are all correct, and I would be happy to make you a free custom curve that is specific to your exact setup, which I believe/assume will give you accurate/linear output.
Please go here to download the custom curve package, including the printable target, master curves and instructions. For glossy paper, please use the x800-x880-GLOSS-Master curve, or matte/rag papers, use the x800-x880-MATTE-Master curve.

Please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
I will let you know when we have more information from our testing, and assume we’ll send out a newsletter to all our customers at the same time.

Warmly~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hello Dana,
Thanks for this extensive reply and your generous offer (I also apologize for not having read your answer sooner).
I suspected that the reason my outputs were this far off might be connected with pigments that had settled. Therefore I just ordered more Piezography ink.
As soon as I get it, I will top off my cartridges, do a few power cleans and print whatever is necessary for a custom curve.
Best
Andreas

Hi Andreas~

Since it’s been so long since our last communication, I re-reviewed this thread, and your order history.

I see you purchased refill carts and Piezography ink in June 2013, and first contacted us about strange/dark output in Feb 2014.
When did you install Piezography inks into your printer? Were you experiencing this dark output immediately after installing Piezography inks, or several months later?
How often have you been agitating the ink cartridges? How often is the printer used vs. how long does it sit unused?
I’m curious if you may be dealing with the effects of settled pigment, which could cause your dark output. If this is the case, shaking your carts and doing 3 power clean cycles should bring it back to normal density. Print a new 21 step strip and re-check your output linearization to see if you need a custom curve made, or if it was just settled pigments that was causing your dark output.

Please keep me posted~ Dana

Hello Dana,
I only installed the inks in December 2014 (I first had to deal with a clogged head, than with dampers). In spring I started test printing, with some happy results, but also some doubts when seeing how much brighter I had to view pictures on the screen in order to get the print I wanted. Therefore the doubts about linearization.
Cartridges get shaken once a month, but the printer has not been used since april. A nozzle check last Sunday shows everything as expected.
As I am also curious to see whether the darkening I see is connected with settled pigment, I will proceed as you suggest as soon as I receive the inks I ordered this week.
Setting up a decent hybrid printing workflow is not for the faint of heart; one has to be more stubborn than a magenta clog.
Best
Andreas

Hi Andreas,
My name is Kelly, I will be covering for Dana while she’s away on maternity leave.

I have read through your communications from Feb with Dana, I noticed that your linearization is very similar to the output we were getting with the old 2.7.0 QTRgui version on WIN7. One question I have, did you have the previous version 2.7.0 QTRgui installed, then updated to 2.7.2? OR did you simply install 2.7.2 originally? Certainly settled pigments could cause your issue of dark output, but I would like to rule out all possibilities.

Let me know your findings after you have shaken the carts, topped them off with fresh ink & performed 3xCC’s (and verified a good NC or course), Kelly

Hello Kelly !
Thanks for sharing the information about the issue with 2.7.0 QTR and WIN7. I will check as soon as possible.
Best
Andreas

P.S. Great news from Dana ! (though I hope that my last message didn’t induce early contractions) That’s one happy kid dealing with a mom who cares to help.

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but did you ever come up with a Piezography sample image?

Thanks

I’d be very interested in a sample image too. The sample prints are simply awful. I don’t know what message they are meant to give but 5x5 prints don’t do it.

Hi bubblecatcher and Jeff~

We will shortly be releasing letter size Piezography sample prints, which will be larger to see more detail. The 5x5 samples are great for spreading out to compare ink tones with the same image, and you can see great detail in the small prints when viewed with a loupe. We don’t plan to release any of the digital files for either the 5x5 “cliff and ice” image or any of the letter size sample images, but have a “Proof of Piezography” test image available here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?172-Proof-of-Piezography-Test-Image

Best regards~ Dana