Piezography Pro Epson 3880

From one day to the next my Epson 3880, converted to Piezography Pro several months ago, went from full variable toning to printing all cool tones no matter how I adjusted the curves in Print Tool. I was adjusting the curves observing different effects on test prints, quit for one day with satisfactory operation of the curves sliders, then came back to it the next morning to only cool tone prints. No other discernible difference in the printer except that it will soon need maintenance tank replacement or reset and the screen carries that warning. Multiple nozzle checks have been satisfactory although I just noticed for the first time that only seven test patches are printing including the “photo” patch (I am printing matte).

This is related to what curves are are choosing in QuadtoneRIP driver settings.

Please share screenshots.

best,
Walker

Yes. I checked and you are quite right. Embarrassing operator error.

The nozzle check with only seven positions including the blank “photo” slot persists. They print all the way across the end of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper so it doesn’t look like anything is missing. Is this normal?

Thank you for your help on the curves. Sorry I didn’t sort it out on my own before troubling you.

I would like a read on the nozzle check question. I also am seeing no decrease in ink level indicators and have now done enough printing with the converted 3880 that one would expect some indication of decreasing ink levels.

I really like the Pro system and have printed some lovely prints. I am trying not to go down the rabbit hole of trying too much variation and am approaching experimentation cautiously.

Not a problem. We like it when people post so when we answer the question it’s available for other people when they search the forum or google for the same issue.

As per the instructions for these cartridges, the ink level (for the 38xx model carts) does not go down. It requires manual checking of the ink level and topping off of the cartridges.

best,
Walker

Thanks. Is it normal to see just seven slots on a nozzle check? When I don’t make curves selection errors it seems to print just fine.

To see the 8th slot (Gloss Chroma Optimizer) print your nozzle check on a glossy piece of paper and hold it to the light at an angle. You will see the nozzle lines as slightly glossier lines on the paper.

best,
Walker