Piezography inks on various papers

I don’t know if this is the right subforum for this post or not, but here goes.

I’m probably going to get the Selenium set soon, now that our Canadian dollar has recovered a little. However, on the following webpage:
http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/piezography-products/inks/sepia-k7k6-inks/
you have several proofed samples to look at to help choose what kinds of inks one might want to try. This is great. I have done some of my own playing around by soft proofing a few of my own images. However I did notice that the Sepia (carbon) set only had matte samples on this page. Honestly I am growing to like matte more and more. Fewer distracting reflections, the eye gets attracted more to the art, not the “pop”. (Forgive me if I sound like a beginner trying to sound knowlegable.) I would have liked, however, to have seen one example of a Sepia (carbon) on gloss to compare. I noticed that you have both gloss and matte examples for the Selenium set. I’m quite suprised just how much warmer the Selenium glossy prints (JonCone Studio Type 5) look than the matte (Joncone Studio type 2). It was very useful to see the difference for Selenium here. Is there a similar effect in the carbon prints? I know that the nature of carbon dictates that they will be warmer than Selenium anyway.

Larry

Even better, you can download and install the soft-proof profiles youself for carb/gloss.

http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/blog/calibration/piezography-soft-proofing/ (see bottom of page)

best,
Walker

Thanks Walker,

That’s precisely what I did. It might have been nice if a glossy and matte sample were posted for a matte and glossy paper for comparison on that page as some one new to piezography may not know where to find the proofing profiles. However, I know you’ve got a lot of other things on your plate.

Anyway, I did notice something curious. When I soft proofed the Selenium on JonCone Studio 2 and 7 (glossy and matte respectively), then tried the same thing on the Hahnemuhle FAB and PR (also glossy and matte respectively, if I got it straight this time…), the JCS shift to sepia is far more pronounced than that in the Hahnemuhle. Are there other papers that show a similar strong sepia shift towards?

Larry

Larry

I noticed those are all for P2. I was just looking for an icc for Selenium on Epson Enhanced Matte (or whatever else it’s called depending on when, where, and what form… ). Any icc proofing profiles for K7 Selenium?

Larry

P2 and K7 won’t be any different on the soft-proof really. If you look at the P2 curves vs K7 curves, the ink overlaps are exactly the same minus K7. When you lin a P2, it simply pulls shades 4,5,6 over slightly. Your hue/contrast will not be different.

in short: you can use the P2s for soft-proofing K7.

best,
Walker

That would be great if there were a P2 soft proof for EEM. I’m just looking for a soft proof icc for piezography on EEM.

Larry