Piezography 2 Matte and Gloss for K3 printer models

To make both matte and gloss Piezography prints with an Epson K3 8-color printer, install ink shades as per the chart below.
“P2” curves MUST be used with this ink setup (K7 curves will not work). “P2” curves are available for download below.

Piezography 2 is designed for use with the K3 8-ink Epson printer models, such as the R2400, R2880, 4800, 4800, 7800/9800 and 7880/9880.
*If using a R3000, 3800/3880, 7890/9890 or 7900/9900 printer that has two black channels, P2 isn’t necessary, because matte and gloss printing is already possible with K7.

Note: Piezography 2 is NOT available for non-K3 models, including the 1400/1430, 2200, R1800/R800, R1900, R2000, or 7600/9600. The 4000 can be set up to print dual matte/gloss, but uses different curves and ink shade placement than K3 printer models (contact Inkjetmall for assistance setting up your 4000 for dual matte/gloss printing).

For a detailed description about Piezography 2, read our blog post, here: http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/blog/piezography-development/piezography2/

To install new curves for use with QTR, you will need to drag and drop the curves (NOT the FOLDER containing the curves, but the individual curves themselves) into the following folder location:

(Windows) C:\ProgramFiles\QuadToneRIP\QuadTone(Your Printer Model)-K7

(Mac) /Applications/Piezography/Curves/(Your Printer Model)-P2
NOTE: With Mac users, you must uninstall your Quad printer model then reinstall it using the install.command located in the same folder you placed the new curve in. You will also need to restart your printing application if it was open when installing new profiles. This will show the new curve in QuadTone RIP. You will not lose any of your previous curves when you uninstall the printer.

Please visit http://piezography.com and download the Community Edition for all new free curves, profiles, and software!

This article says “Piezography 2 is NOT available for non-K3 models, including the … R1900, R2000”. It’s true that QTR does not come with P2 curves for these printers and IJM does not supply them, but it certainly is possible to use P2 on these two printers. Probably also the P400, if you can find refillable carts or a CIS. Details here:

http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?1983-P2-and-the-R1900-R2000&p=8804.0

Yes. It’s possible. Just not supported by us, the curve sweatshop. :slight_smile: So defaults won’t be entirely linear.

That said, we’re working on refined master K6 curves for all K3+ printers. That R&D will take a while because maths.

Cheers,
W

So defaults won’t be entirely linear

Not true. The P2 x880 curves I remapped for the R1900 were more linear on my printer than the default K7 R1900 curves.

Sounds about right. The x880 K6 curves have much more linear TILs than current generation K7s so if the head is same and internals are same it could be more linear from inkset to inkset/printer with the P2s.

Still trial and error because Epson doesn’t always keep same dithering/head between generations . .

We have many many many many printers x5 hues to be able to test all that. It’s on the list . . . .

Wow, couldn’t you guys make the Piezography2 curves harder to find? :stuck_out_tongue: They only took me 2 hours to find.

Seriously, why not put a link to these curves either in the Piezography manual, or right on the

page under the “Additional Information” tab?

Or am I that untechnosavvy?

Larry

Larry. This is ON THE LIST. We are going to add a DOWNLOADS section but first we need to compile all the downloads.

We spent many launching shop.inkjetmall.com

so hold tight.
W

Thanks Walker…
Sorry, I guess I was just venting… I know you’ve got a lot to do! :smiley:

Larry

Ok. So, here’s the deal. The wide-formats that the P2 curves were built on use Epson internal dither with QTR. Small formats less than 17" use QTR in-driver dither.

So, while these two dithers are extremely close, linearity is not ensured between LargeF and SmallF printers using the same exact P2 curve even if those printers share the same head-type. So, I’m not going to release the same P2 lins that were built on LF printers for K3 printer smaller than 17"

//

I will be addressing this in upcoming posts once the Piezography website is updated.

best,
Walker

Interesting. I’m curious why the smaller format printers use the QTR indriver dither. This is most certainly the reason for the microbanding that exists in the 1st and last inch of small format prints.

Out of interest, which printer(s) were the existing eleven P2 curves created on? I seem to recall that it was a Pro 17" printer. Because when I remap those curves for the R1900, they measure as more linear than the K7 curves created on the R1900. Look forward to the forthcoming posts, but at this stage I can’t see a real world problem (apologies to the late Bruce Fraser).

Having slept on this, I’m more puzzled rather than less. When I’ve measured the linearity of any of the stock IJM curves on a new desktop printer, they’re not usually exactly linear. Close perhaps, although less so for some papers, but not the perfect straight line that you’d get from a custom curve or from the droplet. Are these two dithers really that different compared to printer-to-printer variation?

Moreover, anyone using the droplet to pull a curve into linearity will surely deal with this difference, won’t they?

I PM’d you.