Piezo Flush of 3880 PK and MK Heads

Both the MK and PK heads on my 3880 have been clogged and resisted several Power cycle cleanings. I therefore decided to try Piezo flushing.

Using as instructed the 3880 MK and PK refillable carts, Piezo flush solution and a syringe kit, I installed the MK chip under the MKreset chip (that was on the refillable MKcart). I repeated the process for the PK chip placed under the PK reset chip of the refillable PK cart. Both carts were then at least one-half filled with the Piezo flush solution.

I opened the cartridge bay door of the printer, removed the Epson MK cartridge and replaced it with the refillable cart containing the Piezo flush solution. After two Power Cleaning Cycles and running a nozzle check, I could see the pink pattern of the Piezo flush solution and no breaks in the pattern. I then replaced the refillable cart with the original Epson MK ink cartridge and ran two Power Cleaning Cycles to purge the residual Piezo flush solution. Two inkjet prints confirmed that the MK head was now unclogged and operating properly.

I repeated the process with the PK refillable cart containing the Piezo flush solution (after switching from the MK head to the PK head). Once again I was able to display the pink pattern in the nozzle check after running two Power Cleaning Cycles. I then replaced the refillable cart with the original Epson PK ink cartridge and ran two Power Cleaning Cycles to purge the residual Piezo flush solution. But this time the nozzle check showed no pattern for the PK position. I made a print which confirmed that the PK nozzle was clogged.

Even more strange, when I attempted to switch back to make a print using the MK ink, a nozzle check indicated the MK nozzle (which was previously unclogged) was again clogged. An inkjet print confirmed that ink was not flowing through the MK head.

Can you please explain why this happened and what I can do to unclog both the MK and PK heads?

Thanks,

Ron Schotland

Hi Ron~

Based on your explanation, it sounds like your printer may be ready for a new parts, such as dampers (which for this printer model, are included in the “Ink Feed System” which is one unit consisting of the cartridge chambers, ink lines, and damper assembly). Another possibility could be the cartridges themselves, as your printer seemed to work well with the refillable carts and PiezoFlush, but the black positions aren’t working correctly with Epson carts installed…

Have you already tried cleaning the printer’s capping station, wiper blade and bottom of the print head? If not, you can find information for cleaning your printer here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?133-Printer-Cleaning-and-Preventative-Maintenance

I hope you are able to sort this out and get your printer happily printing again!
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: