Photo Black Ink Thick

I started to refill my Photo Black cartridge today and immediately noticed that it was thick like sludge. I stopped immediately.

This is the first refill (second filling) of the Photo Black ink. The bottle was first opened on April 1, 2015. The bottle shows an expiration date of June 2016. The cap was tight when I opened the bottle.

The cone color ink bottles are all stored in a cabinet in my office that has an average temperature of about 70 degrees.

Do I need to throw this ink out and order a new bottle? I do not remember the ink being thick when I originally filled the cartridge.

The bottle is about half full, Since it still has a year before its expiration date can I return the bottle and get credit for the unused portion.

Fortunately/unfortunately? the cartridge is still half full in the printer. Is it possible that the ink in the cartridge has also thickened?

Have you had this problem in the past?

Please advise me on what to do?

Jim Palik

Jim,
It has been my experience, albeit limited, that the shade 1 Piezo inks are noticeably “thicker” than the other shades. Since the darkest shades would likely contain more pigment, it made sense to me.

Hi JG

Thanks for the reply but I am not using Piezo ink. This is my second filling from this bottle. The first filling the ink was not thick. Is it because the bottle was not shaken for three months?

Since I just started using Cone Color inks less than a year ago I have not had any experience with the ink thickening. It does not seem that this is normal to me.

Jim

It doesn’t sound normal to me. The question that IJM will ask is did you agitate the bottle before filling, as ink drawn from the bottom could be thicker if the ink was allowed to settle. Although what you’re describing sounds like something different.

I see you bought a set of ConeColor ink in 220ml bottles last July.
Cone Color Photo Black (or any of our other inks for that matter) shouldn’t be “thick like sludge”. What’s the lot# on this ink bottle? Did you shake the bottle before opening and drawing ink out?

Please let me know so I can get this figured out for you.
Thanks~ Dana

Hi Jim~

I see you started another thread about this same issue, so I have pasted what you wrote below, and deleted the other thread to keep everything in one thread.

Ink Thick like smudgeI am using an Epson 3880 printer.I started to refill my Photo Black cartridge today and immediately noticed that it was thick like smudge. I stopped immediately.

This is the first refill (second filling) of the Photo Black ink. The bottle was first opened on April 1, 2015. The bottle shows an expiration date of June 2016. The cap was tight when I opened the bottle.

Has anyone had this problem? If so,

how do you solve it?

Jim

Please respond to my questions above if you shook the bottle before opening and what the lot# is, so I can help.

Thanks~ Dana