Peculiar chip problem on refill cart

I’ve been printing for some time with a newish R3000 and K7 inks without any problems. Recently however, I’ve come across an annoyance.

When I’ve completed setting up an image and reach the last step, and hit “Print,” I get a message that the PK cart is (suddenly) not being recognized and to address the problem. The PK cart, of course, is filled with flush fluid and has never been involved in making a print.

Originally, I would open the cart compartment, remove the PK cart, give it a cursory inspection (no, the chip hasn’t fallen out) and reinsert it; the error message then disappears. I’ve since learned that merely opening and closing the cart compartment without removing the cart does the trick. And merrily, I proceed to print.

Any thoughts?

Harry

[QUOTE=hlockwood;3744]I’ve been printing for some time with a newish R3000 and K7 inks without any problems. Recently however, I’ve come across an annoyance.

When I’ve completed setting up an image and reach the last step, and hit “Print,” I get a message that the PK cart is (suddenly) not being recognized and to address the problem. The PK cart, of course, is filled with flush fluid and has never been involved in making a print.

Originally, I would open the cart compartment, remove the PK cart, give it a cursory inspection (no, the chip hasn’t fallen out) and reinsert it; the error message then disappears. I’ve since learned that merely opening and closing the cart compartment without removing the cart does the trick. And merrily, I proceed to print.

Any thoughts?

Harry[/QUOTE]

I have seen this and changing the chip battery usually solves it.

Hi Harry~

Bob is correct, generally chip errors like you’re experiencing are related to old chip batteries, and replacing the battery resolves the issue.
You can read more about this, and get information on how to replace chip batteries here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/wordpress/product-use/r3000-cartridge-batteries/
we have new batteries and chips available for the R3000, here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.84880/.f

Please let me know if you have further questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks FussyBob and Dana. After a couple of days of printing, my trick of just pulling the cart and replacing it stopped working, just the sort of thing one might expect from a dying battery. I put in a spare refillable PK cart, filled with flush fluid, and all is well again.

Dana, I’ll order some batteries shortly. And here’s question for you: do you know when the batteries draw current? Do they draw current when the printer is in standby mode? When the machine is off? Or only when printing?

Harry

Edit: I see from the IJM page on batteries that the question of duty cycle has been answered.

The batteries are always “ON”, so have a life span of about 1 year.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: