Paper is Suddenly Jamming

I’ve been happily pumping out dozens of prints a day on my 2880 for the past four weeks. Took two days off and resumed today. Started with a nozzle check and experienced a paper jam (plain white paper). Cleared it and discovered that a cartridge was empty. Filled the cartridge and tried to nozzle check again. Paper jammed again. Tried several more times, shutting down the printer each time. Also unplugged it and waited a few minutes before firing it up again. Same result.

Any suggestions before I haul it down to the Epson Service Center?

Have you blown out the insides of the printer and cleaned the rollers? I use a Datavac on my printers. Matte papers leave tiny bits of paper which build up.

Yes, blew out the insides. The jamming doesn’t seem to be “typical.” That is to say the paper feeds into the printer properly, makes an unhealthy grinding sound, and then stops. The paper jam light goes on and then, by pressing that button over and over at short intervals the paper staggers out. It’s neither torn nor wrinkled.

Sounds like bad news to me, of the expensive kind.

The jamming was caused by a malfunctioning paper detector. This part had to be replaced. After the repairman installed the new part, he called to tell me that all of the ink lights were now on, and that he couldn’t test the repair because the printer wouldn’t function. Since I’ve had the same experience of having all the ink lights come on, I told him to simply pull out each cartridge and reinsert them. He said he did, and that didn’t correct the issue. He also told me that some of the cartridges were almost empty. So, I assumed that by making sure all of the cartridges were full, the ink lights would go out and the printer would function again.

When I got it home, I filled the low cartridges and fired the printer up again. All of the ink lights came on. In checking the printer utility, I get the message that none of the cartridges are being recognized.

I don’t have a chip re-setter. Will re-setting the chips correct the problem, or do I need to do something else?

Thanks!

Hi Robert~

I received email notification of your new post, with an update to your printer problem, but now see you deleted it- does that mean your problem is resolved?

Please let me know, thanks~ Dana

Hi, Dana,

No I moved it to the Printer Problems forum - 2880. I’m hoping you might be able to help. At this point I think I need to bring it back to the repairman. It’s all in the thread.

Thanks.

Rob’t