New setup dark prints on canson

Hi, i have installed K7 carbon with matt (also have PB and GO) on what is virtually new 4800 which printing well. I fitted new dampers and flushed the system out, installed new inks.

I decided to just do a quick test print using a cotton rag sample from Pinnacle, i used the hanphotorag profile. It printed ok, bit on the warm side but all the detail was there.

I want to print on canson velin museum and rag photographique so installed the profiles from file Quad7890-9890-K7.zip as i had seen recommended.

Removed quadtone printer and ran install again, tried printing on both these papers via Print-Tool and the results are very dark?

So tried the pinnacle paper again and it printed same as first time i printed it.

the test print i used was this
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/content_images_2/bw-test-image/test-image2.jpg

any ideas?

thanks

Not sure if this is related, but when printing if monitor print que i can a message that profile can’t read permission denied?

thanks

Hi, i think is to do with the profiles from the file Quad7890-9890-K7.zip

If do test print on epson enhance mattt with the profile 7890-9890-EpsonEnhMatte the image prints very dark.

If i print with profile K7-2880-EpRhancedMatte if prints fine?

Am i using correct profiles for the 4800 using canson papers?

thanks

tried attaching image to show dark print, but cannot even when using correct size.

Here is dropbox link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28966905/IMAG0291.jpg

Hello, you are printing from a 4800, but using the curves for the X9XX printer, which has 2 additional ink slots and handles inks differently. You need to use the curves designed for your printer, which are all named with prefix K7-2880-____. Which is why when you use the K7-2880-EpEnhancedMatte curve it looks correct.

Please read through the instructions for installing and using the Piezography system for your 4800 here http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/technical-support/epson-pro-4800-4880-installation/. Scroll down to the very bottom of the page to find the curve libraries for Matte & Gloss.

Kindly,
Kelly

Ok check the curve owner and it was set to uid 501 which was just a share user, my uid is 502.

Seems all quatone files where being installed as uid 501, un installed quatone, removed share user with uid 501 and reboot. Reinstalled quatone, installed printer and now curves are owned by me with no permission error on printing.

Test prints no longer very dark. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=KellyC;6998]Hello, you are printing from a 4800, but using the curves for the X9XX printer, which has 2 additional ink slots and handles inks differently. You need to use the curves designed for your printer, which are all named with prefix K7-2880-____. Which is why when you use the K7-2880-EpEnhancedMatte curve it looks correct.

Please read through the instructions for installing and using the Piezography system for your 4800 here http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/technical-support/epson-pro-4800-4880-installation/. Scroll down to the very bottom of the page to find the curve libraries for Matte & Gloss.

Kindly,
Kelly[/QUOTE]

Hi Kelly and thanks for reply.

I downloaded the file Quad7890-9890-K7 as per recommended in this thread

http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?158-solved-Curves-for-Canson-matte-papers&highlight=canson+velin

I have read through the docs and scrolled to the end of the installation page you gave, the only additional curves to download are glossy or request custom curves?

Surely there must be some curves for canson matt paper for the *800 series?

thanks

I have this one you can try its for Canson Rag PhotoK7-7800-CBN-CanRagPto.quad.zip (2.79 KB)

Thanks will try that.

Need to one for canson velin museum asap now :slight_smile:

Hi, while waiting till i can find a curve for Canson Velin Museum Rag i did a test print on Epson Enhance Matte using the K7-2880-EpEnhancedMatte curve.

Thing is, it looks very warm to me, a lot warmer that same test print on plantine rag on epson abw?

Here photo of them side by side, excuse poor photo as do not camera close by.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28966905/IMAG0294.jpg

Does this right or am i missing something?

I have no idea what a piezography print should look like!

thanks

I moved this thread into the current thread I am helping you through to keep it easier for me to keep track of your questions.

You are using a Carbon ink set which in nature is Very Warm, as it’s name implies. There is NO comparing against Epson BW, that shouldn’t be an evaluation in general, these 2 ink sets are completely different.

I do not have a Canson Velin Museum Rag curve for any of the printer models that match your set-up & paper ie. CBN ink, Canson Velin Museum Rag & 4800. The closest thing I have is the .quad file I gave you. If you don’t find this sufficient you can purchase a Custom Curve for $99 each.

From the looks of your print, I don’t believe you are doing anything wrong. I believe you are simply not familiar with how a Piezography Carbon print should look. The attached image itself is not that great, but from it I can see they are very different, especially in the highlight areas, like the cloudy section, there is fair more depth in the CBN print, then the BW print. Take a closer look at the shadow areas as well and you will find the same, much better detail.

You are a new user and it will take you time to “master” your domain, it’s all about trial and error with a little guidance. You are on the right track, now if you can get used to the CBN’s warmth! Out of curiosity, how did you decide to purchase the Carbon inkset for your set-up?

Also, just to make sure you are on the right track, please tell me what OS and QTR version you are using

[QUOTE=KellyC;7008]I moved this thread into the current thread I am helping you through to keep it easier for me to keep track of your questions.

You are using a Carbon ink set which in nature is Very Warm, as it’s name implies. There is NO comparing against Epson BW, that shouldn’t be an evaluation in general, these 2 ink sets are completely different.

I do not have a Canson Velin Museum Rag curve for any of the printer models that match your set-up & paper ie. CBN ink, Canson Velin Museum Rag & 4800. The closest thing I have is the .quad file I gave you. If you don’t find this sufficient you can purchase a Custom Curve for $99 each.

From the looks of your print, I don’t believe you are doing anything wrong. I believe you are simply not familiar with how a Piezography Carbon print should look. The attached image itself is not that great, but from it I can see they are very different, especially in the highlight areas, like the cloudy section, there is fair more depth in the CBN print, then the BW print. Take a closer look at the shadow areas as well and you will find the same, much better detail.

You are a new user and it will take you time to “master” your domain, it’s all about trial and error with a little guidance. You are on the right track, now if you can get used to the CBN’s warmth! Out of curiosity, how did you decide to purchase the Carbon inkset for your set-up?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reply,

I will the .quad file you gave on the velin. Later i will probably have a custom profile done.

Having not seen a piezography print i was not sure what i should be seeing, so if the epson enhanced is looking as it should i have a benchmark to go by.

How i make my choice? After looking at the piezography site i went with K7 carbon as it is best longest fade resistance. I did read that it was once called sepia, but was renamed as it was not as strong as you would expect from sepia tone.

Being in the UK there is not a strong piezography presence that i can find, i did find a piezography supplier in France, but is more expensive to order from them than it is to order from inkjetmail.

Yes it is a new journey, but one i really looking forward to.

I am using OSX 10.10.2 latest version of QuadToneRip which i believe is 2.7.5

I have asked this in another forum without much luck, but can you recommend a test print to use for piezography?

I think i should order some test prints of different ink sets.

thanks

Hi, ok done some test prints with your suggested curve.

The prints are very warm, but believe this is to be expected as K7 carbon is warm and as i understand the canson papers add to this warmth.

For some of my landscapes this will nice, but for my portraits this will be too warm.

I believe my alternatives are to try a cooler paper, though have lots of velin, try a cooler K7 ink set, or change some of the current inks for cooler versions.

I tried the hanphotorag curve on Velin as i did get a cooler print on the pinnicle paper, this was little cooler, but lost detail in deep shadows.

thanks