New printer, new set of clogging issues

Today I got a new Epson R2880 from a seller on eBay. I made sure that the seller was the only previous owner. They assure me they have owned it from new. The original set of carts were still installed almost at full capacity.

When I received it the nozzle check the seller provided showed that the Cyan and Vivid Magenta channels were blocked. They were reluctant to sell in this state but I was sure that unblocking the nozzles would get those channels printing again.

I began by removing all the Epson carts from the printer. I then cleaned all the nozzles with a clean Q tip and piezoflush on each. Next I used the dummy cartridge to purge the clogged ink from the Cyan and Vivid Magenta channels. Also cleaning the capping station, wiper blade and given the underside of the print head a delicate wipe with a folded bounty towel.

At this point I have only a few small gaps in my nozzle check pattern. Ink is getting through the Cyan and Vivid Magenta channels and showing in a nozzle check where before they were previously blank.

However, now the Very Light Magenta channel is almost completely missing from the nozzle check. With the Epson ink installed this was printing solid without any gaps. Now it’s almost completely gone.

I’ve tried purging this blockage with the dummy cart and run mutiple head cleans but still to no avail.

Why would a channel that was printing fine with OEM carts now be almost blank once installed with piezo after numerous head cleans? I seem to eliminate the problem on one or two stubborn channels and the problem arises again on another channel that was previously printing perfectly. It’s always one step forward, two steps back. Same as what was happening with the other printer. I’m absolutely stumped again. Any ideas?

Installed a new cart in the Vivid Magenta position, still no ink flowing through. Now the Cyan won’t print again.

WHY WHY WHY would a channel that was printing fine during one head clean now be printing completely blank in the successive one when there is clearly ink in the cart and all carts are properly vented

This is getting beyond a joke now

I re-instated Epson cartridges into the troublesome R2880 and it seemed like ink was beginning to flow again. At least the light cyan channel has begun to print where before it was totally blank. Really do not know what to make of things at the moment.

I re-instated Epson cartridges into the troublesome R2880 and it seemed like ink was beginning to flow again. At least the light cyan channel has begun to print where before it was totally blank. Really do not know what to make of things at the moment.

The printer has decided to unclog itself now! I’m not going to hold my breath but I hope it stays that way!

Not all gaps in a nozzle check are clogs. It can also be air in the ink path somewhere. If it’s always the same gaps, then it is probably a clog, but if you are getting inconsistent behaviour then it is most likely air. Patience and purge patterns are the best approach in such circumstances, as you discovered. But with an older printer of uncertain history, there is a range of possibilities.