New Ink Cartridges Not Recognized

I have the address on your account that the previous shipment was sent to- is this the same address you’d like me to send the chip to?

Did you do a regular cleaning cycle before the power clean? I always recommend trying the regular cleaning cycle first.

Yes the address you have on hand is correct – thanks!

No I just did the power clean – stupid question, but are these inks more prone to clogging than the standard Epson inks?

Ok, the new yellow chip is on it’s way to you.

You should always try 1-2 regular cleaning cycles before doing a power clean cycle.
Piezography inks don’t clog more than Epson inks, but printer maintenance and proper conditions are important for getting the best quality and longest life from your printer.
We help many people who have only ever used Epson inks, and come to us for help cleaning/fixing their printers.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi again Dana – Okay, new issue: When I run the GO, I am getting roller marks on my print (particularly noticeable in the darker areas). They are not there when I make the initial print - only when I run it through the second time for the GO.

I know this issue has been addressed in the FAQ section, and yes I did let the print dry sufficiently and yes I did use a hair dryer afterwards on it (at the highest setting, ran it back and forth over the print for a few minutes). Still getting roller marks.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried feeding paper thru the manual/front paper path?

Tried another print – left it to sit overnight, then used a hair dryer this morning for about 2 minutes on the print. Fed in through the manual/front path, not much difference.

What paper(s) are you printing on, and experiencing the roller marks on?
What paper margins do you leave on the leading edge of the print?
Are the marks thru out the entire print/image, or mainly in the beginning, were the printer takes the sheet?
When you print on glossy papers, is your printer in Photo Black mode, with Selenium shade 1 in the PK cartridge?
Did you agitate ink bottles before filling/refilling cartridges to ensure in-suspensin pigment?
What are the temperature and humidity levels in your printing environment?

Please let me know so I can try to help resolve this roller issue.
Thanks~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana – Just noticed your reply today. Got the yellow chip and it’s working fine now - thanks.

As far as the roller marks go, I am printing on Epson Exhibition Fiber paper(13"x19). The image is 16" in length, so there is 1.5" of border at the leading edge. The roller marks go across the entire length of the image, and are particularly noticeable on prints that have a lot of dark areas. Yes the printer is in Photo Black mode, and the proper ink is in the PK cartridge. I did fully agitate all the bottles, and I just re-filled the cartridges. The temperature in my room is usually around 68-70 when I am printing. It’s not very humid in this room, particularly at this time of the year.

BTW I have had another weirdness crop up – I have tried to print the GO using the front manual loading, as you suggested. Interestingly, when I print it from the front manual loading, it puts a 1" wide strip of GO along one edge of the paper, and nowhere else. When I print the GO using the rear manual feed, it applies the GO normally (across the whole print). Any ideas on that one???

Any ideas on the roller marks? Any ideas on why the GO only prints a strip along the white border only when I front load?

Hi Vince~

I’m glad the new chip is working well for you, thanks for letting me know.

The marks I see in the photo above are “pizza wheel” marks, caused when the pointy wheel paper rollers touch the paper. Printing with the manual front feed should eliminate this problem, because using the front feed raises the pizza wheels up so they don’t touch the paper.

The only reason I can think that would cause GO to only be printed in the image margin would be if you printed the photo with the GO curve (instead of a pure white image). The GO curve is programmed to only print GO in pure white image area, so printing anything other that a pure white image will cause GO to only print in the margins or white areas.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana thanks for the reply. Well I just got off the phone with Epson and showed them this picture. We tried various things like adjusting the platen gap, doing a nozzle check, test print etc, and it still did it. So they are replacing my printer with a refurbished unit – just hope the use of the Piezography ink doesn’t mess with the printer warranty!

As far as the GO curve goes, I’m printing with that little white 1"x1" square, per the online instructions. But it only does it with front manual loading – with rear manual loading it prints the GO fine. On the front manual loading, it prints about a 1" x 19" strip along the bottom white border of the paper (so if it’s a horizontal image, it’s printing it on the bottom white section only). Can’t understand why it would print it perfectly fine in rear manual loading mode, but not in front manual loading mode.

I have no idea why GO is only printing on a thin strip when you use the front paper path, since it prints correctly when using the top auto paper path- very strange… Do the pizza wheel marks at least go away when feeding paper thru the front?
Are you selecting the 13x19 paper size, and manual- front paper path in the QTR window? What version of QTR are you using? If you’re not using the latest (2.7.3 I believe), then I recommend downloading and installing the latest version, and trying another print to see if that gives you correct results.

The QTR version I have is 2.7.2 (which I downloaded from the site only about a month or so ago). I’ll give it a try with the new printer and let you know.

Just downloaded and installed 2.7.4, but I can’t see where it went to. I went to the ‘Profiles’ folder and found the ‘command’ file and reinstalled the curves, but my QTR still reads 2.7.2. What am I doing wrong?

I’m not sure, but Roy Harrington directly supports QTR, and is best suited to help you with QTR specific questions/issues. You can contact Roy at quadtone@harrington.com

Please keep me posted.

Re-loaded everything, but it’s still coming up as 2.7.2 not 2.7.4.

Vince, did you ask Roy about this? He may be able to tell you how to install his software in this version level to prevent that.

I sent him an email this morning – haven’t heard anything back yet.