New cartridge battery voltage

I recently ordered an R3000 set and am installing as OEM carts get low (see attached) rather than wait for a printer message.

The date on the cartridge boxes was May, 2013 (14 months old), so a preemptive battery replace was done before filling (kudos to IJM for the spare). The new batteries measured 1.55v whereas the old batteries were 1.45 and 1.39v, about 25-33% in to their expected life time.

Question for IJM: is there a way to measure voltage under load (eg. when the battery is in the sensor) from the exposed sensor traces without a sensor reset/failure? This would allow removing/replacing a cartridge much quicker and would give a more accurate measurement than no-load.

Question for all: has anyone measured battery voltage for the old battery when battery replacement corrected an issue? This would help understand the actual low-voltage point.

For the future I’m going to go with the S type as the service life is about 2x (wikipedia, Button_cell).

Cheers,

Great questions Tim!

We tested, and discovered you can accurately measure the battery voltage through the Re-set contacts on the chip and get the same measurement as when you remove the battery.

We also tested chip batteries with 1.02v, .72v, .30v &.14v in our Epson 4020 printer, and all where functional, which tells us these batteries have to be nearly dead to not function. We left the weakest chip battery in the printer to find out what the exact voltage is when it dies, and it died the next day at .08. We will write a new article about this to explain how to test battery voltage thru the chip reset contacts, as well as when we recommend replacing batteries, and how to replace batteries or chips.

New batteries measure around 1.6v from the package.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

also tested chip batteries with 1.02v, .72v, .30v &.14v in our Epson 4020 printer …

Excellent performance characterization! It seemed like a large portion of desktop issues were related to sensors/batteries, good to know the expected life time curve is much longer than typical button cell use cases.

I’ll be measuring the R3000 voltages on the reset contacts monthly and pass on anything interesting.

Cheers,

Excellent, please do keep us posted on anything interesting you discover :slight_smile:

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana