My VM is not printing on my R3000

Thanks for the additional information. I have responded in red.
Based on the information you provided, and age of your carts/ink, I feel you are likely dealing with particle build up in the magenta damper, which is restricting ink flow of that channel. Magenta and yellow pigment inks are always the thickest colors due to the natural pigments used (this is true with all brands of pigment ink, including Epson), therefore pigment settles faster, and effects of settled pigment collecting in the dampers will typically be noticeable in these positions before other colors. Dampers should be replaced every 1-3 years, depending on use, and when dampers are clogged and restricting ink flow, they must be replaced (dampers can’t be cleaned). Even if you’re only having trouble with one channel, and others are working well at the moment, the whole set of dampers should be replaced at the same time.

[QUOTE=apicus;4346]hi, thanks for a rapid reply!

Have you done any cleaning cycles from the printer’s control panel, or just manual cleaning from our maintenance page?
Always the printer´s control panel, now maybe 5 in a row
OK, if you’re not seeing a change/improvement after 3-4 cleaning cycles in a row, there’s no need to do more, and excessive cleaning cycles in a row can strain your print head, or even cause the head to burn out.

How often do you use your printer vs. how long does it sit unused?
Often unused but agitate and try to print every now&then, has always worked after 1-2 cleaning cycles
Letting a printer sit unused for long periods of time, especially with pigment inks installed, will cause settled pigment in the carts, ink lines and dampers, leading to issues such as change of output color and/or density, pigment build up in dampers, and clogging or mis-firing nozzles.

What is the humidity and temperature in your printing environment?
Today very, very humid because of extensive rain. Apart from that no idea…
Maintaining proper humidity levels in the print environment is very important for the best results with your printer, ink and paper (this isn’t just our rule, but stated in your printer manual, and user information for inks and papers).

How often have you been agitating the ink cartridges?
Unable to tell
The combination of infrequent use of the printer, and infrequent or no shaking of ink cartridges will certainly lead to settled pigment in both carts and the printer’s internal ink system.

Have you always shaken ink bottles before filling/refilling cartridges?
Yes

When did the VM stop printing?
When i turned it on 3 days ago and performed cleaning after test showed gaps
How long had the printer been sitting unused prior to turning it on a few days ago? Was VM printing prior to the printer sitting unused this last time?

Are any VM nozzles printing, or is the entire channel completely blank?
Totally blank

Did the VM nozzles gradually drop out, or stop suddenly?
Do not know really, maybe became worse, all other better
Was VM fully printing prior to letting your printer sit unused recently, then totally blank when you turned the printer back on?

What happened before the VM stopped- had the printer sat unused for a while, had you been doing a lot of printing, had the cartridge run totally dry, had the cartridge been refilled with ink?
Unused, never dry cartridges!

When was this cartridge last refilled with ink?
Today

When it was refilled, what was the remaining ink level in both the main body and exit chamber?
No
What was the remaining ink level in the VM cartridge and circle exit chamber prior to refilling the cart today?

Did you refill the cartridge using the injection or vacuum method?
Vacuum has never really worked for me

Please check your cartridges, especially the VM that you’re having issues with: The exit chamber must be at least 1/2 filled with ink, and air vent hole must be open for proper ink flow.
Check[/QUOTE]

ok so that means “buy new dampers”? i have no idea how to change them, might just as well buy a new printer.
this is turning into an expensive lesson where it actually makes much more sense having someone printing for you…
i am far from happy

Have you done any cleaning cycles from the printer’s control panel, or just manual cleaning from our maintenance page?
Always the printer´s control panel, now maybe 5 in a row
OK, if you’re not seeing a change/improvement after 3-4 cleaning cycles in a row, there’s no need to do more, and excessive cleaning cycles in a row can strain your print head, or even cause the head to burn out.
i kind of know, thanks, have read your posts etc

How often do you use your printer vs. how long does it sit unused?
Often unused but agitate and try to print every now&then, has always worked after 1-2 cleaning cycles
Letting a printer sit unused for long periods of time, especially with pigment inks installed, will cause settled pigment in the carts, ink lines and dampers, leading to issues such as change of output color and/or density, pigment build up in dampers, and clogging or mis-firing nozzles.

What is the humidity and temperature in your printing environment?
Today very, very humid because of extensive rain. Apart from that no idea…
Maintaining proper humidity levels in the print environment is very important for the best results with your printer, ink and paper (this isn’t just our rule, but stated in your printer manual, and user information for inks and papers).
well, i do not decide, the weather does and today it is indeed damp

How often have you been agitating the ink cartridges?
Unable to tell
The combination of infrequent use of the printer, and infrequent or no shaking of ink cartridges will certainly lead to settled pigment in both carts and the printer’s internal ink system.

Have you always shaken ink bottles before filling/refilling cartridges?
Yes

When did the VM stop printing?
When i turned it on 3 days ago and performed cleaning after test showed gaps
How long had the printer been sitting unused prior to turning it on a few days ago? Was VM printing prior to the printer sitting unused this last time?
2 months. yes everything was working perfectly

Are any VM nozzles printing, or is the entire channel completely blank?
Totally blank
now a few lines

Did the VM nozzles gradually drop out, or stop suddenly?
Do not know really, maybe became worse, all other better
Was VM fully printing prior to letting your printer sit u
nused recently, then totally blank when you turned the printer back on?
as before “…everything was working perfectly”

What happened before the VM stopped- had the printer sat unused for a while, had you been doing a lot of printing, had the cartridge run totally dry, had the cartridge been refilled with ink?
Unused, never dry cartridges!

When was this cartridge last refilled with ink?
Today

When it was refilled, what was the remaining ink level in both the main body and exit chamber?
No
What was the remaining ink level in the VM cartridge and circle exit chamber prior to refilling the cart today?
pretty low

Did you refill the cartridge using the injection or vacuum method?
Vacuum has never really worked for me

Please check your cartridges, especially the VM that you’re having issues with: The exit chamber must be at least 1/2 filled with ink, and air vent hole must be open for proper ink flow.
Check

and now what?

sorry but this is very complicated. i am a photographer, not an epson-repair-guy .
have no clue what-where the “dampers” are even afte googling, less so how to change them.
all i know is that i am very frustrated and have a lot of ink from you sitting here.

I understand your frustration, but we are very clear about how to use pigment ink, and maintain your printer to get the best results- all of this is clearly stated in the cartridge instructions, as well as several other places on our website. You have not followed our instructions, which is why you are now in this situation, and you would likely have the same issues if you were using Epson ink, so your problem is not specific to our inks, but general use of pigment ink and pro model printers.

Here is some information I have copied from other posts about R3000 clogging and damper replacement:

Using our print head cleaning kit, remove the VM cart, insert the dummy cleaning cartridge snugly over the point in the VM cartridge chamber, then draw about 1ml of VM ink into the cleaning syringe (always agitate the ink bottle before drawing ink out), and connect it to the cleaning cart. Gently push the syringe plunger to inject ink into the line- if you feel strong resistance, don’t push too hard, but you can pull the syringe plunger up to help free the blockage, then gently push the syringe plunger to inject ink (but, don’t inject air).

We normally direct people to www.compassmicro.com for replacement parts. Here is information from Rob at CompassMicro regarding the ink supply unit for the R3000 printer:
Epson does not sell the dampers separately for this machine. It is much like the Stylus Pro 3800/3880 in that the entire ink supply unit is a single part. In this case, the ink supply unit is reference number 501 in the parts diagrams. Below is the Epson part number, description, and our reseller price:

1539519 ink supply unit $137.91 each - special order (Epson list price is $172.39)

Epson shows this special order item in stock.
We would be able to ship this item out from Vancouver, WA 3-4 business days after the order is placed. Shipping to you is in addition.
If we are shipping to a location within the state of Washington, then sales tax would be in addition.
Please be aware, we do not accept returns of any kind on special order parts, and instructions are not included.
Please give us a call at 800-388-8595 to place an order.
We are open 8AM - 5:30PM Pacific time Monday - Thursday, and 8AM - 4:30PM on Fridays.

I can tell you from my own experience (though I am not a certified Epson tech, or engineer- but have years of experience working on many different Epson printer models), as the R3000 has a lot of similarities to the 3800/3880 (which Epson also only sells the whole ink system for, and not just the damper assembly). I replaced individual dampers in the damper assembly of our 3800, and it’s been working great ever since. Other customers have done the same with their 3800/3880 printers, and even posted helpful info and photos of their experience. I can not direct or recommend people to work on their printers differently than the Epson repair manual specifies, but can share my experience, and direct you to threads where others have shared helpful info (which is the awesome thing about the forum community). Here are two helpful threads with info and photos: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showt…-missing/page2 and http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?512-Epson-3800-ink-selector-assembly-disassemble-

I hope this helps.
Best regards~ Dana