My VM is not printing on my R3000

I used the utility to reset the counters

With the waste ink bottle attached to your printer, you can simply reset the sensor when you get the message “parts inside your printer have reached the end of their life”. Just make sure to keep an eye on the ink bottle level, and empty it as needed to prevent overflow.

How does your output look today?

Let me know, thanks~ Dana :slight_smile:

I attempted to do an ink charge and got an error message and had to restart the printer. this happened 3 times. I decieded to switch the vm back to ink and was able to do a ink charge successfully, but vm is not printing still. I have maybe 10% nozzles printing

I looked at the piozoflush cartridge and it is totally full. the VM is also totally full. so the inkcharge did not do anything

So, you filled the new VM cart with PiezoFlush, but the printer displayed an error three when you tried doing an ink charge? What was the exact message?

I see you purchased the first set of R3000 refillable carts in the beginning of 2012, so they’re nearly two years old. If you have been using these refillable carts with success for over a year, until the recent problem with VM not fully printing, then here are my thoughts:

1. The older cartridge may no longer be allowing good ink flow due to ink drying and/or particle build up on the filter screen (in the cartridge exit chamber- before ink exits the cart into the printer). To test this theory, I would like to figure out why you were having issues with the other VM cart, to try another cartridge.
  2. The printer’s VM damper screen may have particle build up that’s restricting ink flow thru that channel. Magenta and yellow are always the thickest pigment inks (this is true with all pigment inks, including Epson), therefore settle faster and develop build up in the damper faster than other colors. Settling and build up of particles in the dampers can be accelerated with infrequent use of the printer and agitation of the inks. Dampers can’t be cleaned, and must be replaced when they get clogged.
  3. Humidity is an important factor, and should not be dismissed.
  4. You are unsure if the VM cartridge ran dry, and if you’re dealing with the results of air in the internal ink system, but if this was caused by air, the ink change cycle should have purged air and refilled the line/damper/head with ink. Without being with your printer and having personal experience with it, based on your reports of what has happened, and your results after trying various suggestions, I don’t think you’re dealing with air.
  5. Printer cleanliness: you mentioned having difficulties cleaning your R3000 because it differs from the model we use in our video, so I am wondering what you have or have not done in regards to manual cleaning. Have you cleaned your printer’s wiper blade, capping station and bottom of the print head, following our instructions?

Please let me know so I can try to help.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

I took the printer into the repair shop. I will keep you posted

My problem is the yellow ink. I’m new to the cone ink system but the first 2 ink colors I installed are working fine. However, When I filled the yellow for the first time I failed to use the vacuum. When I installed the yellow cart (and of course removed the air plug) it printed images very well for about 5 printings, then it quite about half way through printing a photo. After reading the problems on this forum, I removed as much ink as I could and refilled using the vacuum procedure. The printer began printing yellow just fine, even though the nozzle check showed only about 3/4 of the yellow ink. After making about 6-7 prints the yellow ink just stopped working right in the middle of making the print. All other inks are working just fine. I suspect that my problem began from not initially using the vacuum method for filling ink. I’ve checked the cartridge and the exit chamber is nearly full. I’ve tapped the cart to remove bubbles, I’ve cleaned my heads up to 6 times today, I’ve tried making a few prints in the hopes that the yellow would start to print. After reading a few of the forums on this problem… maybe I should go out and purchase a yellow Epson cartridge to see if I have a faulty cart??? As far as doing maintenance on the print heads, I really don’t see that as an option right now since my problem may have begun from installing the cone yellow cart without first filling it with the vacuum. Please advise.

Hi Angel~

I suspect you’re dealing with the effects of air due to not vacuum filling the yellow cartridge before installing. As you experienced, it would take several prints for air from the unprimed exit channel to reach the damper/print head, and interrupt ink flow. It’s good that you realized the mistake, and refilled the cartridge using the vacuum method, so there is now ink in the exit chamber. I have never heard of no ink flow with a new R3000 cartridge unless the vent hole wasn’t opened, and/or cartridge wasn’t vacuum filled, though will ask some questions to check your cart, and don’t rule out the possibility that something with the cartage is not allowing ink flow (in which case, trying a different cartridge would test this theory).

To check the cartridge it’s self, please tell me: after refilling the cartridge using the vacuum method and filling the exit chamber with ink, did you open the air vent hole again before reinstalling the carriage into your printer?
Did you have any troubles vacuum filling this cartridge?
Does the cartridge appear to be leaking ink from anywhere?
Has the physical level of ink in the cartridge gone down since refilling, reinstalling, and doing prints/cleaning- or does it contain the same amount of ink as when you refilled it?
Are ANY nozzles printing in the yellow channel, or is the position totally blank on your nozzle checks?
Is there any change today, after your printer has sat overnight (sometimes a rest overnight can give different results)?

Printer maintenance is always a good idea, and depending on the age and history of your printer, can be very helpful, and shouldn’t be dismissed, even though it seems obvious that your problem was caused by not vacuum filling this cartridge.

Please let me know so I can help you past this and back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks for your quick reply. For some miraculous reason, after doing a couple more head cleanings this morning, I did a test print and the yellow began to work fine. I did several 8x8 prints but now the VLM cart is not printing. These 2 carts that I’ve been having problems with are the only 2 Cone inks I’ve installed so far in my printer. The VLM was filled correctly using the vacuum procedure for first initial filling. I’m getting very frustrated. If I don’t resolve this issue today then I would like to send my order back and request a refund. I’ve wasted quite a bit of ink not to mention the lost time dealing with cart problems and air blocks . To answer your questions above:
-YES the air whole was opened before installing the ink cart.
-NO problems when vacuum filling carts
-NO the carts are not leaking
-YES the ink levels have gone down somewhat since printing.
-The yellow isn’t a perfect print test yet but I would say about 3/4 is printing a pattern. VLM is still not printing at all and I’ve run a couple more head cleanings

Thanks for the update Angel. I’m glad to hear your yellow is working again this morning, so it seems air has been purged from that channel, but I’m sorry to hear you’re now having trouble with your VLM channel. It’s very unusual that you correctly vacuum filled the VLM cartridge, and it was printing fine for several prints, and is now suddenly not printing at all. In my experience, this only happens when the air vent hole is plugged, which create a vacuum as ink is drawn out, then eventually prevents any ink flow from the cartridge.

Since my previous questions were about the yellow cartridge you were having trouble with, please confirm (I’m not questioning you, but needing to clarify specific details, since I’m not there with your printer/carts):
Is the air vent hole fully open on the VLM cartridge?
What is the physical ink level of the VLM cartridge (removing and looking at the cartridge, but the status monitor)?
What is the ink level in the VLM cartridge exit chamber?

Please let me know so I can help.
Thanks~ Dana :slight_smile:

Yes vent hole open fully
About 4/5 th full looking at both the cart and status monitor.
Exit chamber is 3/4 full.

Due to doing cleanings and printing just to clear possible air in line, I’m running low on 2 other inks which will need to be replaced soon. I’m debating whether to do this at that time or just return the inks and carts not used. I’m also running out of syringes and blunt needles. This has been very frustrating since Monday as I would like to start printing for real.

Thanks for the additional information. Syringes and needles should be rinsed and air dried for future use- are you throwing them away?
I see we sent you a replacement VLM cartridge recently, though it was authorized by someone else, and I don’t know the details of why the replacement was needed (I will ask in the morning, but work late and everyone else is gone for the day). If there was a problem with the original VLM cart, or how it was filled, and we sent a replacement cartridge, then that’s an important detail to help me determine the cause and solution to your current problem.
The first message I received from you was posted last night, we resolved the yellow issue you originally wrote about, and I’m working to help you with the new issue that started.

Please let me know, so I can help- Dana

The original VLM cart was broken, so a new one was sent to me.
Even though it’s now another color cart giving me problems, its the same issue. I’ve already printed 13 8x10’s with no luck yet.

Thanks for letting me know. It is very bizarre that your VLM channel isn’t printing at all, as it sounds like everything is right, and this cartridge was correctly vacuum filled, so you shouldn’t be dealing with air…
We can send you a replacement VLM cartridge, in case something with the current cartridge is preventing ink flow, or you can return your unopened/unused carts and ink bottles for a refund if you prefer (though, I like to solve issues, and hate when issues aren’t resolved).

Please let me know, thanks and have a nice weekend- Dana

Ran a few more prints over the weekend and I’m still where I was. NO VLM and about 2/3 of yellow is working. I’ve looked over the video several times. When I’ve been emptying and refilling the cartridges… should I be making contact by using tweezers or a paper clip? When do I need to do that procedure? I read on another forum that the R3000 has hoses for distributing the ink, this is the reason why the heads don’t move back and forth during printing. Do you think this might be the problem? I’m discouraged as the problem has been continuous for the past week. Ineed to start printing again very soon and unfortunately will need to order epson inks today … What do I need to do to send these cartridges and inks back for a refund? Thanks for your help

I would spend some money on the Epson adjustment program from www.2manuals.com. It has more functionality then the maintenance modes built into the printer driver. I use it to clean the heads now instead of the printer drive and I now use it to test ink flow. It can also do a full ink charge like you do when you put the first cartridges into the printer (it uses a lot of ink).

My mistake was not reading the helpful info from inkjet mall, like DON’T let the cartridge run out of ink! print every couple of days or at least once a week.

Thanks for your input dstobel.

Angel~ I’m sorry to hear your VLM still isn’t printing, and Y isn’t fully printing. The R3000 print head DOES move back and forth during printing, it’s the carts that stay stationary, and ink lines connect the cartridges to the print head.
Please clarify what you mean by “emptying and refilling the cartridges”- has the ink level gone down with these two carts from normal printing/cleaning, and you’ve had to refill them, or have you removed ink from the carts and refilled them?
My goal is to get you happily printing, like so many of our other customers who have been successfully using these carts for the past two + years. From the information you provided, I am curious if your VLM cartridge is somehow restricting ink flow, and suspect you may have some stubborn air trapped in the yellow damper, or if manually cleaning the capping station, wiper blade and bottom of the head would remedy your situation. Another thing that could help, if you’re dealing with stubborn air in the line(s) is something that others have done on their own, and reported success: a few customers who were dealing with air in an ink line after a cart ran empty without being noticed, when the purge sheets didn’t remedy the situation, they ended up injecting a small amount of ink into the ink line using our small format print head cleaning kit (connecting in the cartridge chamber, then gently injecting about 1-2ml of the same ink into the line, to help pass air). Although I didn’t discover or recommend this, uses discovered this on their own and reported success- I have concerns in regards to the amount of ink injected, and the pressure applied- and how it could effect the print head and damper membrane, so caution people when I tell them about it.
As I said, my goal is to get you printing- and if you’re dealing with stubborn air, then simply installing Epson carts won’t correct the issue, and you’ll be in the same situation. I would be happy to send you a new VLM cartridge (in case there’s something with your current cart that’s causing that channel to not print), and a print head cleaning kit to continue working on resolving your issue, or if you prefer I will ask Wells to contact you with a RMA# to return the unopened/unused merchandise for a refund.

Please let me know what I can do to help.
Best regards~ Daan

have cleaned my r3000 using “Clean the capping station and flushing box” and “Scrub the bottom of the print head”
http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?133-Printer-Cleaning-and-Preventative-Maintenance
still it will not print VM, every other colour perfect in test print.
i have not disassembled printer.
would be very helpful to have like simple 1-2-3 directions for all of us who just want to try and solve a problem easily…

Hi apicus~

There is not always simple 1-2-3 directions to solving a problem. As you will notice from reading other posts in this thread, a lot of troubleshooting and resolving an issue depends on gathering information to learn the history and details of the situation. There are many variables that effect the cause and solution to a problem.

After reviewing your order history, I see you purchased ConeColor ink and R3000 refillable cartridges in December 2011, so inks and carts are about 2.5 years old.

Have you done any cleaning cycles from the printer’s control panel, or just manual cleaning from our maintenance page?
How often do you use your printer vs. how long does it sit unused?
What is the humidity and temperature in your printing environment?
How often have you been agitating the ink cartridges?
Have you always shaken ink bottles before filling/refilling cartridges?
When did the VM stop printing?
Are any VM nozzles printing, or is the entire channel completely blank?
Did the VM nozzles gradually drop out, or stop suddenly?
What happened before the VM stopped- had the printer sat unused for a while, had you been doing a lot of printing, had the cartridge run totally dry, had the cartridge been refilled with ink?
When was this cartridge last refilled with ink?
When it was refilled, what was the remaining ink level in both the main body and exit chamber?
Did you refill the cartridge using the injection or vacuum method?
Please check your cartridges, especially the VM that you’re having issues with: The exit chamber must be at least 1/2 filled with ink, and air vent hole must be open for proper ink flow.

Please let me know so I can try to help you past this and back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana

hi, thanks for a rapid reply!

Have you done any cleaning cycles from the printer’s control panel, or just manual cleaning from our maintenance page?
Always the printer´s control panel, now maybe 5 in a row

How often do you use your printer vs. how long does it sit unused?
Often unused but agitate and try to print every now&then, has always worked after 1-2 cleaning cycles

What is the humidity and temperature in your printing environment?
Today very, very humid because of extensive rain. Apart from that no idea…

How often have you been agitating the ink cartridges?
Unable to tell

Have you always shaken ink bottles before filling/refilling cartridges?
Yes

When did the VM stop printing?
When i turned it on 3 days ago and performed cleaning after test showed gaps

Are any VM nozzles printing, or is the entire channel completely blank?
Totally blank

Did the VM nozzles gradually drop out, or stop suddenly?
Do not know really, maybe became worse, all other better

What happened before the VM stopped- had the printer sat unused for a while, had you been doing a lot of printing, had the cartridge run totally dry, had the cartridge been refilled with ink?
Unused, never dry cartridges!

When was this cartridge last refilled with ink?
Today

When it was refilled, what was the remaining ink level in both the main body and exit chamber?
No

Did you refill the cartridge using the injection or vacuum method?
Vacuum has never really worked for me

Please check your cartridges, especially the VM that you’re having issues with: The exit chamber must be at least 1/2 filled with ink, and air vent hole must be open for proper ink flow.
Check