My prints are suddenly way too dark

I am printing warm neutral inks on a 3880 with glossy and matte inks installed. 3 or 4 weeks ago I got beautiful glossy prints but now the midtones and shadows are black! I am not dong anything differently. The cartridges are full and the nozzle check was fine. I also did a power clean.
I am using a calibrated NEC monitor to process the raw image and then plugging the printer into my macbook pro laptop. I am using QTR print tool and the paper profile is MPS-EPex Fiber. That is what I used before. Hope that is correct. My macbbok pro uses OS 10.7.5.

Thanks for your help.
Catherine

Hi Catherine~

Have you refilled any cartridges within the last few weeks? To evaluate your ink shade placement, it would be helpful if you could print the Inkseparation8 image thru QTR calibration mode, and attach it for me to review. Instructions for printing this file can be found here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?144-Print-Ink-Separation-Image-thru-QTR-Calibration-Mode
It would also be helpful if you could please send me screen captures of the print settings you’re using.

Please let me know if you have any questions, otherwise I will keep an eye out for your attachments and let you know what I see after reviewing them.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana, I just refilled the cartridges yesterday but I was having the problem before refilling.
I am sorry but i am having a hard time attaching the Inkseparation image and the screen shots. I clicked on the icon above and tried to upload the photos but it did not work. Thanks for your help.
Catherine

Thanks for the update and attaching the inkseparation print output- this proves your ink shades are all in the correct positions, so that’s not the cause of your issue.
The next step is to review your print settings. If you are having trouble attaching them, try using the Basic Uploader, and if you still have trouble, email them to me at techsupport@inkjetmall.com, and I will attach them for you, then respond after reviewing your settings.

Thanks- Dana :slight_smile:

Just to keep all the details on this thread, I have attached the screen captures you emailed me. All your settings are correct.

Now, the next step is to check your output linearization. You can do this yourself if you have a measuring device, or mail the printed 21 step to me to measure and plot your linearization.
There is info about checking output linearization here: http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/blog/piezography-k7-inks-and-curves/checking-your-linearization/
and the 21 step strip image can be found in the Applications> QuadToneRIP> Eye-One folder. You want the “Step-21-gray” file.

Please let me know if you have questions, otherwise I will be expecting your 21 step strip or linearization results, and move forward from there to get this sorted out for you.

My mailing address is:
Vermont PhotoInkjet
Attn: Dana/testing
17 Powder Spring Rd
Topsham VT 05076

~Dana :slight_smile:

Dana, I have a densitometer but I do not have Excel so I will mail youthe21 step strip.
Thanks so much for your time.
Catherine

Dana, one question. Do I print the step tablet on regular paper or on photo paper like Exhibition Fiber?
Catherine

Ok, I will be expecting your print and let you know as soon as it arrives.

Thanks and have a wonderful day~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Catherine~

I received your printed samples, which are very helpful- thanks for sending them. It looks like these were printed with black ink only- though I know your inks are in the correct positions, and print settings are correct…
Has anything changed between the time when you were getting good/correct output and when this extreme darkness started, such as updated your OS, print driver, installed any new software, etc?
Have you tried shutting down both the printer and computer at the same time, then starting them up again and checking your output? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your Epson print driver, QuadTone RIP, and QTR Print Tool? If not, I recommend you start there in case something had been corrupt.

Please keep me posted, let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;1551]Hi Catherine~

I received your printed samples, which are very helpful- thanks for sending them. It looks like these were printed with black ink only- though I know your inks are in the correct positions, and print settings are correct…
Has anything changed between the time when you were getting good/correct output and when this extreme darkness started, such as updated your OS, print driver, installed any new software, etc?
Have you tried shutting down both the printer and computer at the same time, then starting them up again and checking your output? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your Epson print driver, QuadTone RIP, and QTR Print Tool? If not, I recommend you start there in case something had been corrupt.

Please keep me posted, let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

My experience: in the beginning i made my errors, like plugging the wrong vent, then it was optimal color printing. Suddenly i miss all the welfare: way-too-dark, like large gamma error, color crush like film ‘300’, picture not usable at all. Interesting for investigation: it happen while testing QTRgui and trying to normalize output, with good results using the CC-K3V inkset and B&W pictures. Switching back to color the wrong print appeared. Another point, i never switch ink nor paper, always stick to PK/glossy BUT suddenly, together with the error i noticed the MK cartridge no more full but 4/5. How? QTRgui uses MK without warning and ink swap procedure?
Notice that i made all in my mind to check the trouble: re-installing the Epson Win 7 driver (6.75), printing with Epson ICM, with LR4 ICM, PS6 ICM, with Epson Adobe1998, with no ICC at all, checking the cartridges damper, using another laptop with Win8: same result all over (or slight minimal variation). Another point, if printing without ANY color correction (no-Epson, no-windows app) the result is slightly better, but really little difference at all. It looks like a conspiracy made by EPS-MS to protect the ink/paper business. Ops… paper! i notice someone yelling on paper for inkjet with sustained propaganda, well… in the beginning i stop searching for big names only, then i saw that Axxxy makes 250g and 300g glossy A4 and A3 at a very interesting price and no difference in output, but may be i am wrong as my R3000 is no more stable :slight_smile: Any further action? Any suggestion? Anyone knows how to read the internals of the printer, to check any wrong parameter or how to reset it to a safe default?

Hi Catherine~

I’m checking in to see how things are going, since I haven’t heard back from the last message I sent.

~Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Teebe~

Please contact Roy Harrington at QuadToneRIP, as he directly supports QTR and is better suited to answer your QTR specific questions. We only use QTR with Piezography inks, though know it can be used either other inks provided the correct curves and workflows are used as per the QTR manual. If you select matte black ink in the QTR window, and your printer is in photo black mode, it will initiate a black ink change.

Best regards~ Dana