Multiple images on one sheet

I’m trying to print a series of nine 4x6 prints on one 13x19 sheet. I thought I could use the LR print module, create my 4x6 template of 9 images on one 13x19 sheet, then print to TIFF. Then I was going to print the TIFF using QTR. However, the only option I have is print to JPEG.

The long way around this is to print them individually in QTR, feeding the sheet through as many times as I have images. I don’t really like this idea.

Another way might be to use PS and create a new blank document, then create layers with the different images placed. This will be tricky for me for now because I’m not sure how to do that, but I believe it will be possible.

Is there an easier way? I seem to recall you could print to TIFF in the print module. I cannot find that option in LR CC.

Larry

Not sure about LR, as I don’t have a copy with me ATM. I’d print to TIFF with QImage, which I seem to recall that you have a copy of, or use PS. It’s not that hard in PS. Copy an image, paste into the larger image, this creates a new layer automatically, position the layer, repeat three times, save. With Qimage, be sure to turn CM off.

Thanks Brian,

I was trying PS last night. I’m not very experienced with PS yet, so that will take a little fiddling and practice.

I’m sure LR used to print to TIFF in the print module. Maybe I’ll check the LR-5 and see. If they did remove that in LR-CC, I’ll be unhappy!

Larry

Before someone else says this, this is one advantage of Print Tool on OS X - it’s easy to print multiple images on a page. If you’re going to do a lot of this, then Qimage is as good or better, as you can set up a template and then open say 20 images and print to 5 TIFF images and then print them via QTRGui. If your images contain IPTC metadata then it’s also possible to automate text on the page. Doing each page manually in PS would get tedious, unless you manage to find a PS action or script that does much the same thing.

I just tried this. Wow, talk about tedious! When resizing the pasted images using the “move tool”, there seems to be no way to view or set the image size to 4x6. There may be, but it’s not obvious. I do have QImage, so maybe I’ll reinstall it and try it out again for this purpose.

Larry

If you’re planning on doing this on a regular basis, and the images are always the same size / aspect ratio in the print, or close to it, then you could create a TIFF file as a template using Photoshop “guides”. Then it’s much faster to size and position the images you want to print in Photoshop. If you want to understand this approach using guides, it’s probably better to take it off-forum, as it’s not a Piezo issue as such.

OK, now everyone knows just how much of an amateur I am! I looked up the guides on the Adobe help and got a whole tonne of info and tutorials. Turns out this is basic stuff. :slight_smile:

I guess my earlier question was related to if QTR had some sort of hidden template feature built in. I guess the Print Tool would have been the answer if I were on a Mac. Guides are not that difficult.

I am doing something different from, I suppose, many or most piezographers, in that I’m printing some 4x6 prints. I’m not doing this for the pleasing look of a 4x6, but rather, if the images need to be scanned again sometime in the future, a piezography print will scan better than even a QTR K3 print. The issue I had to get around was to get a true multiple 4x6 prints on 13x19, I had to oversize the 4x6 prints by dividing the dimensions by 0.97 because QTR reduces the image to 97% of the page (to keep a border). This, too, is not really a piezography topic either, so I’ll stop now.

Larry

Using Photoshop guides makes it a lot easier to do in Photoshop.

Qimage is ideal for this kind of thing, but to be honest, it took me quite some time to master the template concept. You’d need to invest some time in learning the program in general and this feature in particular. I could send you a couple of templates, but they’re A4, not Letter.

I’d be a little wary of using LR for this kind of thing, because as we’ve discussed, its CM engine is not well suited to QTR. At least in Qimage, you can turn CM off.