Miscellaneous Refillable Questions

1. With these newest style-refillable carts that don’t need vacuum filling, e.g. the ones I just bought for my 2880. What is the correct refilling procedure if a cartridge has (heaven forbid) been allowed to run dry, or (heaven really forbid) drained itself mysteriously, as might happen if the refilling procedure was not followed correctly? Do you think that the vent hole needs to be plugged in such circumstances? Would a vacuum fill be a good idea?

2. We’re supposed to let the carts sit in the printer for say 15 minutes after inserting them after refilling. Does this apply any time the carts are removed and reinserted? For example, if I move the head to the ink exchange position and remove the carts to check on the ink level, should I let them sit for 15 minutes before I press the ink button and trigger the nearly inevitable head clean? Likewise, with the cover to the cartridge area removed, it’s possible to remove and reinsert 6 of the 8 carts with the printer off - should I wait 15 minutes before turning the printer on again?

3. The R1900 and R2880 are essentially the same printer as I understand it. Does this mean that I could use an (unused) refillable for one printer in the other after replacing its chip with the correct one?

Thank you.

Hi Brian~

1. The filling and refilling procedure for the non-vacuum filled model carts (1400/1430, R1900, R2880, etc…) is the same: inject ink into the cartridge thru the fill hole, then insert the fill hole plug, tap the cart exit valve down a few times on a folded paper towel, and let the cart sit a few minutes (either in or out of the printer) to allow ink to settle and air to rise. The cartridges use auto reset chips, so when a cartridge reads empty or nearly empty in the printer, is removed and reinserted, the chip is reset to read full ink level again. It’s very important that the cartridge be physically refilled with ink when the chip is reset, so the physical ink level matches the chip level, or you could accidentally run out of ink without knowing it.

2. In my experience, the wait is most important for newly filled carts, but could also apply if you refilled a cartridge that was totally dry. If you just remove carts to check the physical ink level, then reinsert them without refilling, then you shouldn’t need to wait before printing. My workflow is to check ink levels in the beginning of every week, and refill any carts that are low, then manually reset chips to read full using the chip resetter device. I can then print, and know 1. carts all contain enough ink, and 2. the cartridge ink levels match the status monitor readings, so I can feel confident ink level readings in the status monitor are accurate, so I can check the status monitor instead of remove carts if I’m curious about ink levels. As you know, the printer will do an automatic cleaning cycle every time a cart is removed + reinserted, so you want to limit the number of times carts are removed to avoid wasting ink.

3. Yes, the R1900 and R2880 printers use the same shape/design refill carts but with different chips attached. You can use the R1900 carts in the R2880 printer (and vice versa) by attaching the correct chip to the cart, but you must be careful the chip is flat and well secured before installing the cart, because a poorly attached chip can damage the printer’s chip sensor.

Best regards~ Dana

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;5139]

1. The filling and refilling procedure for the non-vacuum filled model carts (1400/1430, R1900, R2880, etc…) is the same: inject ink into the cartridge thru the fill hole, then insert the fill hole plug, tap the cart exit valve down a few times on a folded paper towel, and let the cart sit a few minutes (either in or out of the printer) to allow ink to settle and air to rise. [/QUOTE]

My question wasn’t entirely clear. With a brand-new empty cart, the instructions are to leave the vent hole plugged during filling, but thereafter to leave the vent hole unplugged during refilling. Should a cart that has drained or run dry be treated as a new cart or not? Your answer suggests not. But if it’s pretty much empty then I thought that it might make sense to treat it as a new cart for refilling.

Since these carts are filled by injecting ink, you can fill/refill carts with the air vent open or closed. The initial fill procedure says to open the air vent hole after filling, because the plug comes in the new cart, but it could be removed before filling and it would be fine.

ok, thanks. That’s helpful to know.

In the past I’ve had carts (not yours) where it was both important and a struggle to keep the passage below the vent hole free of ink, and I thought that the instruction to remove the vent plug after filling the first time was related to this.

I’ll jump on this thread, since my topic is similar to “misc questions” :slight_smile:

I just received all my stuff and set up the printer with Cone inks from the start. All seems well.
My question is relating to the removable side panel on the carts. Since it is ribbed it obscures the walls of the ink well, and makes it difficult to see trapped air at the top. By removing it, the exact fill level can be easily seen. Is there a point to the plastic wall, besides protecting the fragile membrane? Could I remove the wall permanently with no issues?

The 38xx carts also have a sidewall, but since they are pressurized, I assume that the wall is more structural, to keep the membrane from bulging out.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you’re taking a huge risk of a damaged cartridge, a big mess and some ink loss for a minor convenience. I’m also a little wary of over-filling these carts, even though you want to make sure that they’re fairly full, so I don’t stress over the exact size of the small amount of air at the top.

Hi tjn~

With the R2880 refill carts, the removal plastic wall is there to protect the thin plastic membrane underneath. Technically, the protective plastic wall could be removed if you feel it would be helpful to better see the contents, BUT- you risk damaging the carts if the membrane gets punctured, and the carts work very well with the side wall in place. There should be a small air gap at the top of a filled cart, then tap the carts exit valve down to force ink down and air up, before installing the carts into the printer, and you should have good ink flow.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Is this air bubble too large at the top of this cart?

it looks like that is correct

Thanks for the feedback

You are very welcome Dan.