Matte ink to gloss

Yay, printer hacking time! Normally I would say that you could just use the MK chip and put it on your PK cartridge but this defaults your media-types in the Epson driver to only MK papers so that won’t do for this printer.

Here how to trick the printer into accepting (and switching to) the PK cartridge with wasting ink and using the “black ink switching carts” from epson. Follow exactly.

SEQUENCE 1

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. Remove the ink cartridge you wish to change (Matte or Photo Black) and put the new different Photo or Matte Black in. Ensure the lever is returned to its usual ‘locked’ position.
  3. Turn on the printer and make sure to simultaneously hold down the Centre(*), Down(v) and Right(>) buttons at the same as you turn the printer on.
  4. The LCD display will show ‘SELF TESTING’.
  5. Press the Down(v) button to scroll down until ‘Parameter’ appears on the LCD display.
  6. Press the Right(>) button.
  7. The LCD Display shows ‘Initialize’
  8. Press the Down(v) button to scroll down the display until ‘Update’ appears on the LCD display.
  9. Press the Right(>) button.
  10. The display shows ‘JM Init. FILL’.
  11. Press the Down(v) button to scroll down the display until ‘INK PARAMETER’ appears on the LCD display.
  12. Press the Right(>) button
  13. The LCD display will show ‘Set’
  14. Press the Down(v) button to scroll down the display until ‘Reset’ appears on the LCD display.
  15. Press the Centre(*) button.
  16. The LCD Display shows ‘Update Param ?’
  17. Press the Centre(*) Button.
  18. The menu display returns (not important, but it mentions ‘HeadWashFlg’)
  19. Turn off the printer.

SEQUENCE 2

1. As before, turn on the printer and make sure to simultaneously hold down the Centre(*), Down(v) and Right(>) buttons at the same as you turn the printer on.
  2. The LCD display will show ‘SELF TESTING’.
  3. Press the Down(v) button to Scroll down until ‘Parameter’ appears on the LCD display.
  4. Press the Right(>) button.
  5. The LCD Display shows ‘Initialize’
  6. Press the Down(v) button to scroll down the display until ‘Update’ appears on the LCD display.
  7. Press the Right(>) button.
  8. The display shows ‘JM Init. FILL’.
  9. Press the Down(v) button to scroll down the display until ‘INK PARAMETER’ appears on the LCD display.
  10. Press the Right(>) button
  11. The LCD display will show ‘Set’
  12. Press the Centre(*) Button.
  13. The LCD Display shows ‘Update Param ?’
  14. Press the Centre(*) Button.
  15. The menu display returns (not important, but it mentions ‘HeadWashFlg’)
  16. Turn off the printer.

SEQUENCE 3

1. Put a sheet of paper in the printer (A4 copier paper is OK)
  2. Turn on the printer as you would do normally (i.e. no buttons held down)
  3. The printer will ask you to press pause to start Ink Charging
  4. DO NOT Press Pause!
  5. Note – If it doesn’t ask this then you don’t need to carry out stage 4 – our printer did want to charge inks
  6. Turn off the printer

SEQUENCE 4

1. Turn on the printer and make sure to simultaneously hold down the Centre(*), Down(v) and Right(>) buttons at the same as you turn the printer on.
  2. The LCD display will show ‘SELF TESTING’.
  3. Press the Down(v) button to Scroll down until ‘Parameter’ appears on the LCD display.
  4. Press the Right(>) button.
  5. The LCD Display shows ‘Initialize’
  6. Press the Down(v) button to scroll down the display until ‘Update’ appears on the LCD display.
  7. Press the Right(>) button.
  8. The display shows ‘JM Init. FILL’.
  9. Press the Down(v) button to scroll down the display until ‘INK PARAMETER’ appears on the LCD display.
  10. Press the Right(>) button.
  11. The LCD Display shows ‘Init Fill’ and ‘Set’
  12. Press the Down(v) button to scroll down the display until ‘Reset’ appears on the LCD display.
  13. Press the Centre(*) Button.
  14. The LCD Display shows ‘Update Param ?’
  15. Press the Centre(*) Button.
  16. The menu display returns (not important, but it mentions ‘HeadWashFlg’)
  17. Turn off the printer
  18. When you turn the printer back on it will go to ready. YAY!

Recently received a used 4800 (received condition is another story altogether-ebay is of zero help) that evidently had used matte ink and I have used nothing but gloss in my printers. Went to put in my cart (with the chip for gloss) and the printer says invalid cart. What do I need to do so that the cart reads correctly? I do intend to flush completely and put in my ConeColor Pro but want to see if this printer will actually work.

Hello Walker,
I replied back (from my phone)a few days ago with questions about this. One was about explaining what the Centre(*) button is. There is 6 buttons on the 4800 Left to right is power, pause, Left(<), - Down(v), - right(>) - and Menu select(>/enter symbol)

Ok, so I think it’s Pause Left and Right on startup to get to the maintenance mode.

Replace Centre(*), Down(v) and Right(>) with Pause, Left, and Right.

-Walker