Matte Ink Problem with Epson R3000

Last week I took delivery of a refurbished Epson R3000 and since it did not come with ink installed I did a virgin installation of carbon K7 inks carefully following the Inkjet Mall instructions. Everything went well until I tried to switch between PK and MK getting an error message each time I tried. I tried the procedure using the printer’s menu as well as via the computer but had the same failure each time. Since I had a second set of new Inkjet Mall carts I loaded a second MK cart and tried again but still no success. I then ran several cleaning cycles thinking there could be air in the MK line but that did not solve the problem. I booted Windows on my Mac, with Bootcamp, and used the maintenance program to clean and again check the channels and while the printer seems to recognize the MK cart it still won’t change over. I even tried an Epson MK cart but got the same response. I’m increasingly of the opinion that it is a hardware failure and not the cart. I’m open to any suggestions or ideas. Since this was a “refurbished” printer that I have now installed 3rd party carts in, I’m in a bit of a bind. It is my desire (and the reason I got the R3000) is to use the printer for matte printing only with carbon K7 inks on the Cone#2 paper. If I can’t fix the problem can I remap the channels - and if so, how would I do that? Any ideas? Thanks!

I don’t own or have any direct experience with Epson printers that share a single channel for both PK and MK ink, but, from reading the forums, it sounds like a typical Epson switching valve failure (which is not rare enough on this class of Epson printers) and seems to be an Achilles heel of all Epson’s 8 channel printers.

Haven’t ever seen anything on “remapping” Epson Printer channels!
For the valve switching problem:

1. Check out JToolmans’ channel for lots of tips on Epson valve issues JToolman
    .Joe has over 600 videos on Epson and Canon printer problems.

2. Also, search and maybe post a follow-up question on PrinterKnowledge.com’s Epson channel printerknowledge - The members there are extremely knowledgeable on this issue among others
    Good Luck

Jpegman

Can you post a photo of the error that pops up?

Also, you can put PK ink in the yellow channel and install our newer generation “P2” curves. This way you can avoid the (really too prevalent) switch failure.

best,
Walker

Walker;
I attached a photo of the error message - it seems pretty generic. I’ve determined that it is a hardware fault and have arranged with Epson to exchange the printer - hopefully the next one will be OK as they only had one left in inventory. As previously mentioned, I’m getting the printer to do one thing only, print with carbon ink on matte paper (preferably Cone#2). So, if the replacement R3000 exhibits the same problem I’ll need to address the problem of re-mapping the available channels (or some other solution) for matte printing only. Stand by, I’ll let you know - and as always, many thanks!

walkerblackwell Beta Tester
November 1 |

Can you post a photo of the error that pops up?Also, you can put PK ink in the yellow channel and install our newer generation “P2” curves. This way you can avoid the (really too prevalent) switch failure.best,
Walker Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

jpegman InkjetMall Customer
October 31 |

I don’t own or have any direct experience with Epson printers that share a single channel for both PK and MK ink, but, from reading the forums, it sounds like a typical Epson switching valve failure (which is not rare enough on this class of Epson printers) and seems to be an Achilles heel of all Ep… Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Yeah. This is an over-voltage error from the switch motor in the damper assembly.

Good that epson is replacing.

best,
Walker