Matte Black to Photo Black Conversion, Pro 9800

Is there a less wasteful way of doing this besides the standard conversion kit protocol? And if there is, is it worth the hassle and time if that’s what it entails?

Hi benjamin~

To change your 9800’s black ink mode, you must preform the black ink change using the conversion kit.
If you simply install a different black cart without doing the black ink change cycle, the printer will not accept the cartridge, and give you a “wrong cartridge” error. Unfortunately, you can’t turn off the printer’s chip sensors with this model, and the Media Type settings available in the print driver are controlled by the printer’s black ink mode and cartridge installed (so, only matte/rag settings are available when the printer is in MK mode, and gloss/semi-gloss settings are available when the printer is in PK mode). You could avoid the black ink change cycle by using the same black position chip on both MK and PK carts, then printing about 4-5 square feet of pure black ink to change the ink in the line, but this will not give you all the different media settings.

The new printer models have both PK and MK channels, and preform internal black ink change cycles, which use less ink and are much easier/quicker to do.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Benjamin (or others): I have a new in the box (3 cartridge) Epson Black Ink Conversion kit for the Epson 7800/9800. I no longer have a 9800. It’s free to anyone that wants it—just pay for shipping or pick it up! T562A / ICCVK38

I also have the same Epson Black Ink Conversion kit for the 4800 that I won’t be using. T564A / ICCVK36. It’s free to anyone that wants it—just pay for shipping or pick it up!

ken

Kendoophoto@sbcglobal.net