Light areas going black

I have had several prints turn black/dark in the highlight areas - is this a cartridge problem - i wil getting nice prints and then suddenly highlights just go black - after nozzle power clean it seems to go back to normal…is there a specific cartridge problem? I am 3880 K7 inks…

I am also getting a short mark on each print as if the feed transport is dirty - is there any place that shows me how to clean this problem - thanks

Sounds like a workflow issue, or using the wrong Piezography curve.

My guess is that you have a Piezography 2 system installed with Photo Black placed in the yellow position, but you are using a K7 curve that expects instead that you have the lightest shade 7 installed in the yellow position.

Are you running PK in yellow? Are you printing a K7 curve or a P2 curve?

[QUOTE=jon;9978]Sounds like a workflow issue, or using the wrong Piezography curve.

My guess is that you have a Piezography 2 system installed with Photo Black placed in the yellow position, but you are using a K7 curve that expects instead that you have the lightest shade 7 installed in the yellow position.

Are you running PK in yellow? Are you printing a K7 curve or a P2 curve?[/QUOTE]

I am running Carbon 7 in the yellow position - I am using a K7 curve called 3880-CBN-Type 5-lin.quad

Let me start of saying I don’t know if this is your problem or not. My Epson 3880 started dripping black ink a few months ago. The nozzle checks were still good at first and I assumed it was just more ink residue on the wiper, which I clean off several times a year. Then I noticed the photo black ink cart was empty even though it read 75% full. I replaced it and got a good nozzle pattern in the black. But I noticed my yellow was tinged with black. A head cleaning fixed it. A few days later I printed again and lots of black drips and black ink in the yellow. A bit of research pointed me to a post here, and a few others elsewhere that described the same issue. It was said the yellow and the photo black shared a damper. So that might be your issue. The fix was a buying a new ink supply mechanism. I bought it from an ebay seller in China for $120. It took a few weeks to get here, but it was new and obviously an original Epson part. Installation took two hours and was simple using the service manual. I also bought a P800 at the end of the year with the plan to convert the 3880 to Piezography if the fix worked.