LC and LM full carts being pumped directly into waste tank

Not at all!

Go for it. You want ink in the lines in this situation. That helps lower
the amount of air the pump has to suck befor the flow is primed with ink.

Vacuuming ink will not harm these print heads.

Best,
Walker

Still getting nothing, should I assume that I fried the print head with multiple cleanings or something? It was working–with blobs–before I replaced the ink lines. Would you expect 5.3.14 Washing Head And Discharge Ink function in the repair manual to have an applicability here? I’m not really understanding what goes on between the dampers, which filled with ink when I pulled ink through with the syringe, and the why the ink is not now moving through the print head onto the paper.
Thanks,Gary

If you fried your head, you will still be able to get ink through it and see the carts lowering in their ink amount.

It’s a physical thing. Sucking ink through the dampers is not advised though. These carts are pressurized (meaning they are sealed). sucking ink through a dampers with a closed system behind it will create back-pressure (imagine sucking water from a straw with your finger over the other end). There is small bits of film on the dampers that are very fragile and can be ruined (much more fragile than straws!).

I suspect this is what happened. The dampers were miss-seated at some point creating an air-block. Manual priming of the dampers later created back pressure that ruined their lock/flow mechanisms and this is the problem.

I think your head is probably fine unless you got ink in its wiring or miss-aligned a ribbon cable, etc.

There are two 38s in perfect working order on the for sale page fyi.

sorry for the troubles,
-Walker