K7 inks in Epson 4880

Hello

Is it possible to load a set of K7 inks using HD matte black and create two QTR
printers. One for P2 and the other for K7 and when using P2 curves not having the yellow channel (shade 7) print? I’d be printing on matte paper only.

Thank you,

John Powers

Yes, anything is possible there. But please tell me exactly what you are wanting to do. What are you putting into your Yellow Channel?

-Walker

Hi Walker

Thank you for replying. I’d put k7 shade 7 in the yellow position. I assume the Carbon ink is the same for P2 and K7 and the ink positions the same except for the addition of shade 7 using K7 curves. I’d then set up two Quad printers, one for P2 and the other for K7 for the same Epson 4880 printer. Each Quad printer using their respective Carbon matte curves.

Does this sound doable?

Thank you,

John Powers

P2 Matte curves only use 6 channels (no yellow channel) but if Shade 7 is in Yellow than you should just use the K7 matte curves as you’ve talked about.

It seems you want the photo black somewhere though. Normally that is what P2 configuration is for (PK goes in yellow instead of shade 7) and if you wan that, just put PK in Yellow and run with all P2 curves. You can’t have both K7 and P2 in the same printer. That is why there are different curves/ink configs.

-Walker

The intent is to print on matte paper only. The P2 and K7 ink positions appear to be the same except for the yellow channel. I’m assuming the yellow channel isn’t used when using a matte P2 curve. I’m thinking that I should be able to also utilize K7 matte curves by loading shade 7 in the yellow channel. There may not be much difference between the P2 six shades and the K7 seven shades, but as of now I think it would be beneficial to have a choice…

John

Yeah, just use the K7 curves and you can forget entirely about P2 in this case.

Use the K7 curves from the Curves-HD folder. They are built with the same tech (ink overlaps) as the newer P2 curves.

:slight_smile:
best
-Walker