K7 Ink and R1800: What to do with Matte Black Ink

I have the neutral ink set with both Glossy and Matte ink for my Epson R1800. The instructions say to put Shade 2 into the matte black cartridge and Selenium Shade 1 into the photo black cartridge.

That combination would then be used with non-matte paper. Am I correct that for printing on matte paper I would put the Matte ink into a photo black cartridge?

Thanks,

Ted

Hi Ted~

When you print matte with your R1800 Piezography setup, you will want to install Neutral shade #1 in the PK position, then switch to the glossy black when printing on any glossy or semi-gloss media. Gloss printing requires a second printing of gloss overcoat. I have included a shade placement chart below, which is also included in the refill cartridge instructions.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

[FONT=Times New Roman]Ink Cartridge Position[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Piezography K7 Ink Shade Number [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Photo Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#1 (WN1=gloss or NU1=Matte)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Matte Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#2[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Red[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#3[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Blue[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#4[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Cyan[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#5[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Magenta[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#6[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yellow [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#7[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Gloss Optimizer (GO)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]PiezoFlush (or GO for gloss printing)[/FONT]

There is another option. It’s not widely discussed but you can use WN shade 1 opaque photo black as a universal black (shade 1) for matt and gloss. See Jon’s comment here:
Yahoo! Groups

The great Tyler Boley does this. See:
Yahoo! Groups
And Tyler’s review here:
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.6108/.f?sc=15&category=39577

So that’s what I do, and I have to say that not having to swap blacks between papers is a real time and ink saver.

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;5796]Hi Ted~

When you print matte with your R1800 Piezography setup, you will want to install Neutral shade #1 in the PK position, then switch to the glossy black when printing on any glossy or semi-gloss media. Gloss printing requires a second printing of gloss overcoat. I have included a shade placement chart below, which is also included in the refill cartridge instructions.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

[FONT=Times New Roman]Ink Cartridge Position[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Piezography K7 Ink Shade Number [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Photo Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#1 (WN1=gloss or NU1=Matte)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Matte Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#2[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Red[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#3[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Blue[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#4[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Cyan[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#5[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Magenta[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#6[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yellow [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#7[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Gloss Optimizer (GO)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]PiezoFlush (or GO for gloss printing)[/FONT]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dana. I want to print both matte and glossy so I have a two PK carts, 1 with WN1 and one with NU1 and switching carts as needed. To be clear, WN1 is Warm Neutral 1 which is NOT the same as Selenium Shade 1 (which comes in the Neutral ink set), correct. I am leaving the GO cart installed all of the time.

[QUOTE=Brian_S;5798]There is another option. It’s not widely discussed but you can use WN shade 1 opaque photo black as a universal black (shade 1) for matt and gloss. See Jon’s comment here:
Yahoo! Groups

The great Tyler Boley does this. See:
Yahoo! Groups
And Tyler’s review here:
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.6108/.f?sc=15&category=39577

So that’s what I do, and I have to say that not having to swap blacks between papers is a real time and ink saver.[/QUOTE]

Brian_S - Thanks. I did not know about the yahoo group. I will read the threads when admitted.

Once upon a time that was the only piezo group. More recently we have these IJM forums. So some some of the historical discussion is on that old Yahoo forum. These are better from a useability perspective, but because they’re a “company” forum, there isn’t the free-wheeling discussions between users that we used to get.

Truexted~ WN#1 is Warm-Neutral shade #1, and is different from Selenium and Neutral shade #1 inks. We originally had Neutral (matte black) and Selenium (gloss black), and later introduced Warm-Neutral as an opaque glossy black for digital negative printing, then realized it also works well on regular gloss paper, and is slightly stronger than Selenium in both dMax and glossiness (though, Selenium is still very good!). Some people are using WN for both matte and gloss printing, to avoid changing black inks, though they sacrifice a little dMax on matte/rag paper. Many customers are still using and loving Selenium #1.

Happy printing~ Dana

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;5824]Truexted~ WN#1 is Warm-Neutral shade #1, and is different from Selenium and Neutral shade #1 inks. We originally had Neutral (matte black) and Selenium (gloss black), and later introduced Warm-Neutral as an opaque glossy black for digital negative printing, then realized it also works well on regular gloss paper, and is slightly stronger than Selenium in both dMax and glossiness (though, Selenium is still very good!). Some people are using WN for both matte and gloss printing, to avoid changing black inks, though they sacrifice a little dMax on matte/rag paper. Many customers are still using and loving Selenium #1.

Happy printing~ Dana[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dana - A correction to an earlier post…I am using two ‘photo’ carts, one with the Selenium black and one with the Neutral (matte) black. I will be switching carts until I run out of Selenium black and then I will decide whether to continue with it or switch over to the Warm-Neutral #1.

With the R1800, it uses Piezography shade #1 black in the PK channel, so you must use whichever black you wish to use in the PK position, and shade #2 always goes in the MK position.

Best regards and happy New Year~ Dana :slight_smile: