K7 Gloss setup Epson 7600

We have a Epson 7600 and we want to print K7 on gloss. I have looked all over your site and all I can find on the matter is its not an option.
My first question is, can we go ahead and install the gloss black and then hand spray the prints with gloss optimizer and an air brush?
The printer is very clogged so my Second question is, can I put Piezoflush in the empty carts we buy for the Piezography inks? Or is there a better way to go about this procedure.

We have been printing K7 SEL-NU combination using a 3880 printer. We want to duplicate this work using the 7600 printer on gloss paper.

Thanks for your time,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy~

You can print matte only or gloss only with the 7600/9600, but not dual matte/gloss like you can with the 3800/3880 model.
To print Piezography gloss with your 7600, you would need to install ink shades as per the chart below. We do not have a curve library for this printer/ink setup, because very few customers are using it, but do have a few curves we’ve made for other customers using this setup, which we can send you to use, plus can make custom curves for any other glossy papers you wish to print on. The curves we’ve made for this setup are for JonCone Studio Type 5, Canson Baryta Photographique, Museo Silver Rag and Epson Exhibition Fiber papers.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Ink Cartridge Position[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Piezography K7 Ink Shade Number[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Black[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Warm Neutral #1[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Cyan[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]#2[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Light Cyan[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]#3[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Magenta[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]#4[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Light Magenta[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]#5[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Light Black [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]#6[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yellow[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Gloss Overprint[/FONT]

But, before you do any of this, you need to get your printer clean and printing well!
To determine how to best clean your printer, I first need to know why it’s clogged, so please answer the questions below.

1. What inks have been used in this printer?
  2. When was this printer last used and working well?
  3. How long has the printer sat unused?
  4. What channels are clogged?
  5. How many nozzles, or what percentage of each channel is clogged?
  6. Have you ever replaced parts in this printer, such as dampers, wiper blade, capping station and/or flushing box? If so, how long ago?
  7. Have you cleaned the capping station, flushing box, wiper blade and bottom of the print head by following our cleaning procedures (located here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?133-Printer-Cleaning-and-Preventative-Maintenance)?

Please let me know so I can help, thanks~ Dana :slight_smile:

(FYI- you can also use Selenium shade#1 ink for the glossy compatible black, both work well on glossy papers)

Thanks for your reply.

1. The inks that have been used in the printer are the Epson Ultra Chrome inks.
  2. The printer was last used 2 years ago.
  3. 2 years
  4. I believe it was black
  5. Not sure
  6. Have not replaced any parts.
  7. Yes, the capping station, bottom of print head and wiper has been cleaned 3 years ago.

Our concern with using 6 shades and the gloss overprint is that its not going to match our other K7 printer (3880)
The ink positions on our 3880:

MK- Matte black shade 1
PK- Selenium shade 1
LK- Selenium shade 6
LLK- Gloss optimizer
C- Selenium shade 2
VM- Neutral shade 4
LC- Neutral shade 3
VLM- Neutral shade 5
Y- Selenium shade 7

Can or should we go with these same 7 shades in the 7600 and then hand spray our prints? If so, what steps do I take to make this happen?

Thanks for your time,
Jeremy

Thanks for the additional information.

Since your printer hasn’t been used in about two years, never had parts replaced, and last cleaned about three years ago, I suspect you’ll minimally need to replace the dampers and wiper blade, clean the capping station, flushing box and bottom of the print head, and possibly also flush the print head using PiezoFlush and our print head cleaning kit.
You’ll want to clean and get your printer in good working condition before ordering inks/carts and thinking seriously about possibly using it for Piezography printing.

You certainly could attempt to spray coat your gloss prints, but we quickly moved away from this because it requires a very clean and well ventilated area, and is difficult to evenly/consistently coat prints (especially larger prints). Printing the GO finish is superior because it’s even, consistent, and dries quickly (not to mention it doesn’t require working in a well ventilated area). The K6 curves (with 6 shades) are designed to be linear from black to white, just like the K7 curves (with all 7 shades). We converted all our studio production 7880/9880s to P2 setup to print both matte and gloss, using only 6 shades, and are perfectly matching output previously made with the K7 setup. The biggest difference you may experience will be due to the different printer models and curve structure. For the best match to your current 3880, you should use a 7800/9800 or 7880/9880 printer, which use the same curves as the 3800/3880, and can be set up for gloss printing with all 7 Piezography ink shades.

Best regards~ Dana

Hi Dana, We have the 7600 working good and we are going to put in an order for the inks to convert it to a K6. You mentioned that you have a few curves you have made for other customers using this setup, which we can use, would you be able to send us those? I am sure we will have you make us a custom curve for the Harman Gloss Baryta but we want to see how it will print first.

Below is the ink shade and position that we are going to use in the 7600. Does this look correct? Thanks again for your help…you guys are GREAT!

Ink Cartridge Position / Piezography K7 Ink Shade Number

Black / Selenium #1
Cyan / Selenium #2
Light Cyan / Neutral #3
Magenta / Neutral #4
Light Magenta / Neutral #5
Light Black / Selenium #6
Yellow / Gloss Overprint

I have an alternate email you can send the profile- sewtec@gmail.com

Hi Jeremy~

Sorry for not responding sooner, I was out on maternity leave, and had a lot of emails to go thru after returning.

For Piezography gloss printing with the 7600/9600, the ink shade placement is correct as you listed above. I have made a few custom curves for people with this setup, which I will email for you to try/use, but for other papers you will need to have custom curves made.

Please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: