K7 curves for R3000?

Having just acquired a spanking new R3000, after the demise of an R2400, I’m anxious to get started printing again with K7 inks. I see that there is a qtr curve for the UC ink set but none for the K7 set. My preferred paper at present is Canson Rag Photographique, but others are in the queue as well. Any curves out there?

Harry

Hi Harry~

The R3000 curves and install command are not included with the QTR download, but you can get them along with setup and installation instructions, here: http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/technical-support/epson_r3000_installation/

Here are two K7 curves I’ve made for different K3 printers using different K7 ink tones on Canson Rag Photographique paper, which can be used with any K3 printer model (R2400, R2880, R3000, 3800/3880, 4800, 4880, 7800/9800, 7880/9880 and 7890/9890). Try them out to decide which you prefer.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana

9880-NEU-CANragPhoto.quad.zip (2.81 KB)
2880-SEL-CanRagPto.quad.zip (3.16 KB)

Thanks Dana.

It appears (from the link you provided above) that an ink switch from UC to K7 using a Mac is not a good idea, and that one should get access to a Windows machine for that step. I’m looking at a refurb’d HP desktop machine loaded with Windows 7. As soon as I can confirm that the Service Adjustment Program runs on Win 7, I’ll make the switchover. Then, all I have to do is learn to use Windows.

Harry

You will need to charge the printer when installing Piezography inks, and the best way to do this is using the Adjustment Program to do an Initial Fill Cycle. The Adjustment Program is only Windows compatible, so you will need to either find a friend with a PC laptop to borrow for a little while, or install Parallels and Windows on your Mac to be able to use PC programs like the AP on your Mac.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana,

IJM sells a kit for clearing clogged nozzles in the print head. Why not use that device to draw out ink from the tubing between the (stationary) carts and the (moving) dampers before installing the (flush or K7) carts in the R3000? If that were possible, it seems that far less ink would be wasted in recharging the lines.

Harry

[QUOTE=hlockwood;2260]Dana,

IJM sells a kit for clearing clogged nozzles in the print head. Why not use that device to draw out ink from the tubing between the (stationary) carts and the (moving) dampers before installing the (flush or K7) carts in the R3000? If that were possible, it seems that far less ink would be wasted in recharging the lines.

Harry[/QUOTE]

I just realized that the print-head geometry of the R3000 is totally different from that of the R2400. So this may not be possible, let alone desirable.

Harry

You could theoretically draw ink thru the ink lines manually using a syringe instead of doing Initial Fill Cycles to flush/change inks, but you would have to disconnect the ink lines from the dampers (too much pressure on the dampers can damage them), which would require dismantling the printer and it would end up being just as much if not more of a project than doing the Init Fills with flush fluid and ink. I only recommend dismantling your printer as a last resort if you need to replace parts or if you have a stubborn clogged head that needs flushing/replacement (though I dismantle printers for “fun” to learn more about how they work, and how to best maintain them).

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: