Ink Usage

I have a 1430 and am using Special Edition.

Recently, (past 3 or 4 days), I cannot keep ink in the carts. ex: Today I printed 3.5 images that were 9.75 x 6.75 and did two head cleanings before I got a good nozzle check. The carts were full before I began and are now empty!

In the past I usually found the Cyans and Magentas would empty first but now I’m finding 5 out of six carts all go empty at the same time!

Has anyone ever experienced this? Help?

In addition, suddenly the Epson ink check is not registering usage at all so I have no clue when the inks are getting low unless I pull them for a physical inspection.

This may be that the carts are actually dropping ink into the waste ink pad when it is not in use. Call Wells and explain to him your situation and we’ll get some replacements out to you if we can’t find a solution before that.

Are these the myInk capsules or the normal cartridges?

Best,
Walker

[QUOTE=walkerblackwell;11789]This may be that the carts are actually dropping ink into the waste ink pad when it is not in use. Call Wells and explain to him your situation and we’ll get some replacements out to you if we can’t find a solution before that.

Are these the myInk capsules or the normal cartridges?

Best,
Walker[/QUOTE]

Thanks Walker. They are normal carts. I have an extra set so I will try a new set tomorrow.

Have you seen this before?

How could the cart, “dropping ink into the waste ink pad when it is not in use.”?

I’ve been using these inks for 8 to 10 years and have never seen anything like it.

Thanks again for your help…Mark

How old are your current 14xx cartridges?

This isn’t an ink issue. It could be a cartridge handling issue (only on this printer) as the 14xx nozzles are open when the printer is at rest and the print-head is so tiny that if the carts aren’t set right or they are getting worn, ink can escape. I’ve seen this only once in-lab (when dealing with a CISS) but it happened after a long R&D cycle where I had taken the carts in and out over 50 times.

Regardless, the real question is how many printing cycles you’ve ran on these carts. They may simply be due for replacement.

Walker

Actually Walker, the carts are new!

I replaced the carts I had been using for about a year or two because I struggled to get a good printer nozzle check and thought there might be too much sediment in the old carts.

I’m going to install new carts now and will update you tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help…Mark

[QUOTE=Bluefin;11800]Actually Walker, the carts are new!

I replaced the carts I had been using for about a year or two because I struggled to get a good printer nozzle check and thought there might be too much sediment in the old carts.

I’m going to install new carts now and will update you tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help…Mark[/QUOTE]

Walker, It turns out the carts were to blame. I’ll send an email to Wells and ask him for another set of carts.

I do have 3 boxes of fresh carts. Should I be concerned about them? Was there a batch of them that had this problem?

Lastly, I’m going to clean out the waste ink pad on the 1430 and on my 1400 you pushed down and to the right. I’m assuming it’s the same on the 1430?

Thanks again…Mark

can you send me a photo of the cartridge from the side where you can see the filter screen inside of the cartridge? If the filter is at the bottom these do not need to be primed. If it’s at the top they do.

-Walker