Ink Color Correct

It’s hard to test for ink fidelity after the ink is already in there without a reference print.

This workflow does allow you to print individual channels though:

Download and install QuadtoneRIP (and Print Tool from the same website if you are on a Mac)

This workflow allows you to print densities from 0 percent of ink to 100 percent of ink from each individual channel of one’s printer to diagnose possible hardware or ink issues. This page describes how to do just that. The QTR Print Tool is necessary when printing from Mac 10.6.8 or higher, for accurate output (other printing applications have screwed up color management that will produce poor Piezography output).

Print Inkseparation Image Using QTR Calibration Mode:
Printing the inkseparation image thru QTR’s Calibration Mode will print strips of pure ink from each channel. This is an easy way to check ink shade/color placement and density.

The inkseparation files can be found in the following locations:
MAC: Applications> QuadToneRIP> CurveDesign> Images folder.
Windows: C:/ Program Files/ QuadTone RIP/ bin

NOTE: There are different inkeparation images depending on the printer model you’re using. “6” for 6-color printers, “inkseparation” for 7-color printers, “8” for 8-color printers, and “10” for 10-color printers. Be sure to select the correct image for the printer model you’re using.

WINDOWS:

1. Open the QuadTone RIP program, select your printer and paper size
  2. Select Tools> Options> Calibration Mode, which will open the inkseparation image file.
  3. Ink Limit: 100% and Resolution either 1440 or 2880dpi then print

MAC:

1. Download this file and import it into PrintTool:
    VPI-10InkSep.tif.zip (673.9 KB)
  2. Select “NO Color Management” in the Print Tool window
  3. Select your K7 printer model, and paper size, then push print
  4. In the QuadTone RIP window- select Calibration Mode, Ink Limit: 100% and Resolution either 1440 or 2880dpi

I recently went to print and noticed that my colors were coming out wrong. I have a 9900 with a mix of Epson OEM ink and some ConeColor inks and then also an array of use-by-dates. I suspect that my problem is with orange but I have no way to know for sure. I’m about to flush that line with piezo flush and try some fresh-er orange ink that I have on hand but it occurs to me that I don’t have a good way of knowing if that or any color in the machine is currently “true”.

Is there an easy way to test a given ink channel for color fidelity? I do have Print Tool and can print the appropriate test charts to isolate a given channel… Just not sure how to assess if the orange I’m getting is what I should be getting. I figure the best way to proceed is to flush the whole machine and reboot it back to known fresh inks but that’s a little pricey and may mean going back to OEM inks which I’d rather not do…

-Steve

I do have Print Tool (see original post…) and have used it to print just the orange. I also use that to purge the line. Great utility.

Here’s an update… I’ve looked at the orange ink that I had in the machine as well as a sample of the most “fresh” orange ink I have on hand which has an exp date of 1/2018. I poured samples of both into beakers and after just a minute or two I start to see separation and particulate accumulation in the bottom of the beaker. I’ve poured some fresh yellow into a beaker and I don’t see the same thing.

Is there a general problem with Orange? I know in the past there’s been a recall for orange and I haven’t had too many problems in the past with orange outside of that… My immediate solution is to run out and pick up an EPSON Orange and run with that (so I can resume printing) and look more into this orange issue as well as the other inks.

It very well could be your orange BTW.

-Walker

Had to run out to the dumpster to get the numbers…

Lot# 140508 best used by 5/16 (two bottles)
Batch# 140508 expiration date of 1/2018

Here’s a question… Why does the same batch number have two exp dates?

I recall that there was a recall on Orange ink a while back and I was sent a replacement bottle. I kept the bad bottle on hand for reference but appear to have tossed it with the others. I’m not sure what that batch number is. It’s possible that one of the batch numbers above was the “bad” bottle but then… they’re all the same. Sorry that I can’t conclusively provide the batch number off the known bad bottle.

Dear Steve. Sorry for the late reply.

I’m going to do a deep dive QC of this ink LOT and get to the bottom of it. It should not be settling and this is our first hearing of it.

I’ll be in touch.

best,
Walker