Ink Cartridges Cannot Be Recognized - error message frequent and random

Recently purchased EPSON WP-4090 plus the XL676 refillable ink cartridges CMYK and 4 700ml bottles of ink. The printer frequently stalls with error messages “INK CARTRIDGES CANNOT BE RECOGNIZED”

I have tried a variety of things to try and get the print job running again, some seem to work and some don’t, but it is not consistent, seems random.

I have taken a paper clip and touched the contacts of primarily the Black cartridge a bunch of times, power cycled the printer, restarted print jobs. Sometimes it will start printing, other times not. This is very frustrating, inefficient and time-consuming.

I am printing DVD wraps from Photoshop through the rear tray and then switching to plain paper for invoices from Quickbooks from the regular paper tray. I am not suggesting this switching is when the error message comes up.

Any thoughts on how to keep this printer recognizing the refillable ink cartridges?

Hi Vidsync~

From your explanation, I believe your problem is caused by older chip batteries, because we received these carts over a year ago, and in our experience the batteries last about a year. I recommend you replace the chip batteries with the ones we included with your cartridge kit. For information about replacing chip batteries, please go here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/wordpress/product-use/r3000-cartridge-batteries/

Please let me know if you have any questions, your results after replacing the batteries, or if there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana