Ink cartridge error

I have two sets of cartridges; one with ink, and one with cleaner. Two cartridges (green, and LLK) started reporting errors. I replaced the chip batteries in both. The error went away for the green cartridge, but not the LLK. I checked the cleaning cartridge, and it worked normally. I swapped the chips on the ink and cleaning cartridges (for LLK only). The error remained with the ink cartridge, but none with the cleaning cartridge. Is there anything, on the cartridge, besides the chip, which can cause it to report an error?

thanks,
Wes Keys

There is a color position Key on the cartridge that indicates to the printer that the correct color cartridge is installed. This is a simple plastic piece attached to the side of the cartridge body and has no mechanical or electrical components. I wouldn’t suspect this to be the culprit, if you were using this cart previously without problems.

It sounds like you started having problems with the LLK cart after you had successfully started using it? From you post, it looks as though you replaced the batteries in both trouble carts and it only fixed the G. Are you certain the battery you used to replace the LLK chip battery was fresh?

The only possibilities here would be
1.Out of date battery
2.Chip not re-installed flush on cartridge chip holder after battery replacement creating a bad connection between chip read sensor and chip
3.Bad chip

Please explain what kind of error you are seeing on the printers display after you double check the above suggestions.

Kindly,
Kelly

[QUOTE=KellyC;6875]There is a color position Key on the cartridge that indicates to the printer that the correct color cartridge is installed. This is a simple plastic piece attached to the side of the cartridge body and has no mechanical or electrical components. I wouldn’t suspect this to be the culprit, if you were using this cart previously without problems.

It sounds like you started having problems with the LLK cart after you had successfully started using it? From you post, it looks as though you replaced the batteries in both trouble carts and it only fixed the G. Are you certain the battery you used to replace the LLK chip battery was fresh?

The only possibilities here would be
1.Out of date battery
2.Chip not re-installed flush on cartridge chip holder after battery replacement creating a bad connection between chip read sensor and chip
3.Bad chip

Please explain what kind of error you are seeing on the printers display after you double check the above suggestions.

Kindly,
Kelly[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Kelly. As stated in my initial post, I swapped chips between the cleaning cartridge and the ink cartridge. The cleaning cartridge still worked properly, and the ink cartridge still failed , even with the replacement chip. I think this would eliminate both out of date battery (I checked it with a VTVM), and the bad chip. If these are the only possibilities, then I have to think the chip will not seat properly on the cartridge, though it looks good to the eye, and is properly registered with the three plastic posts.

It’s still unclear to me if you have been using this “suspect” chip previously with success, then it just up and stopped recognizing?

What’s the voltage you are getting from the chip contacts with the battery installed in the chip?

Kelly, based on your last reply, I removed the chip, cleaned and inspected everything, and reinstalled it. This time it worked. Thank you for the help.