IJM curves in QTR

When I ordered my 1st Piezigraphy ink set(a split tone Sel/WN) the only curves that I knew about were the ones you supplied through QTR, which I use. The only one I saw that made sense(at the time) was the 4880-MPS-CansonBarytaSatin(since I’m printing on Canson Baryta Photographique). I think it turned out well, but I don’t know if it was designed for a straight inkset, instead of the split tone that I have. Is there something better? I also used the same curve for a test print on Canson Platine Fibre Rag, but the print comes out about a stop or so darker! Is there a better curve to choose from for that paper?. I know that you offer a custom curve with the purchase of a full inkset, but I never got around to getting that done.
That brings up another question/thought? I’m now at a crossroad of a descision as to if I want to get the same inkset or get a straight Selenium 7 set as I find that to tones on the CIB is VERY warm compared with a sample of straight selenium on CIB from a another user of QTR. I was hoping for something more in between what I’m getting now and the sample of the straight Selenium 7. Maybe colder darks and midtones with slight warm highlights. Does that make sense. I know that the media has a lot to do with it, and I perfer the gloss media.

Hi Keith~

We have some curves available here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?158-Piezography-K7-Additional-Curve-Resource
Sometimes, you can get good results using a curve for a similar paper, but the best output is obtained by using a curve specific to your exact setup of printer, inks, paper, and computer/print settings.

I assume “CIB” stands for Canson Infinity Baryta- correct? While this is a beautiful paper, you may want to try some other glossy papers before deciding to change inks, because the paper has a BIG effect on the ink tone, and you may get the look you want by simply using a different paper. I recommend (if you haven’t already), getting some sample packs to try a few sheets of different papers, and evaluate the output to get a stronger handle on the paper(s) you prefer, and direction you may want to go regarding ink tone. From your order history, I see you’re using a WN/SEL split tone, consisting of WN 1-3, and SEL 4-7. Many people like to develop their own custom Piezography ink set by using shades 1-7 of different ink tones, which I think is very cool and takes Piezography printing to a whole new level for these people, experimenting with ink tones/shades and papers to get the specific look they seek. One thing to keep in mind, is some images look best with different tones (and everyone’s preference/perspective is different), so you may be happy with the ink tone with landscapes, but not as happy with it when printing portraits for example- so, be sure to evaluate a few different images before changing or settling on an ink tone.

I hope this helps.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Yes, CIB stands for Canson Infinity Baryta. I see that you have curves for the X900 printers, but the ones I have is listed for 4880. I’m assuming that means they would work for my 4800. I did notice that the curves for the X900 printers, you have a X900-K7-CansonBarytaSatin(which I use 4880 MPS CansonBarytaSatin) and hope they are the similar(if not the same). Since you do not have a curve for Canson Platine Fibre Rag, could the X900-K7-CansonRagPhoto be used instead (in my 4800)? As for various papers, I really like the Canson line(they are very affordable compared to a few others) and I plan on staying with them. I also plan on staying with the WN-1 in the K7 inkset(and keeping the GO) I end up using. While I’m more inclined to use a gloss media(over matte), will the fact that I’m using the WN-1 allow me to use matte media with the curves that are already available? That’s more of a curiosity question more than anything else.
My current inkset(as you pointed out) is WN-1, 2, 3 and the 4 is a 50/50 split with WN4/SEL4 & SEL 5, 6, 7. I guess my question would be: what would the effect be if the WN 2 & 3 were split 50/50 with SEL 2 & 3? Or 25/75 WM/SEL? I guess I’m looking to see which way the tones would go. At 50/50 would I see a change toward a cooler tone(than I’m getting now) or would it even be noticed? Since I don’t have the luxury(or $$$) to experiment, I’m just asking for your best guess/educated answer because I’m sure you’ve been able to mix & try various combinations.

Hi Keith~

NO, the 4800 or 4880 (or any model other than the 4900, 7900/9900 for that matter) can NOT use the x900-K7 curves because the x900 curves include orange and green channels, which are only specific to the x900 printers (printers than don’t have these additional channels will not work with these curves).
As per the additional curve page I directed you to, I recommend you use “3800/3880” Piezography glossy curves with any K3 printer model, including the 4880, for best results. You will find a few curves for Canson Baryta paper in the K3 download folder.

Yes, certainly mixing WN/SEL 50/50 with your shades 2 + 3 would lessen the warmth of your output. I have done many tests with various ink and paper combinations, but have not tried the specific ink mixture you are interested in trying, and do not know the exact look you’re trying to accomplish- so can only confirm that mixing with SEL would reduce the warmth in those shades, therefore in your print output.

I hope this helps.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: