IJM cart not readable by 4900

We have a lightly-used Epson 4900 at our college, in its fourth year. We bought IJM refillable carts to use with Piezo-flush, so that we can put the printer in storage during the summer and the winter break. We use the Adjustment Program to push Piezo-flush (PF) into the lines and head, and let it hibernate. We’ve done this starting last summer, and I just completed the second hibernation at the end of our fall term. Since starting this practice during down times, we’ve seen far fewer clogs in the 4900. We also now shake the carts for all printers once a week, and make sure every printer runs at least a standard test print every day.

A few issues: the IJM carts don’t seat or release as easily as the Epson ink carts in the 4900. A few of the IJM carts have to be seated multiple times to get the printer to recognize them, but till now, I was able to do it eventually. Actually, it was successful just before I used Initial Fill to inject the PF, but afterwards, the cart for the LLK channel is not recognized, no matter how often I re-seat it. I am seeing almost pure pink on all channels when running a nozzle check, but wanted to get a little “purer” by running a couple of normal cleanings. Since the printer sees no LLK cart, no can do. Pushing the cart bottoms to the left has no effect. Using an eraser on the chip contacts, likewise. The contact fingers inside the printer appear un-bent and normal looking.

Should I order a chip resetter? Do I need a new chip for this cart? We need to order more PF anyway, so would appreciate some guidance. Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi Jonathan~

Thanks for your feedback, I’m glad to hear the safe storage and regular ink agitation practices have given you better results with this printer.

I see you purchased a set of 4900 refill carts and PiezoFlush in the beginning of 2013. The 4900 cartridges use chips that have batteries attached to the back, which control reset. The chip batteries are always “ON”, so have a limited life of about a year. Based on when you purchased the carts, I suspect the chip batteries are about at the end of their life, and the LLK chip battery has died. To resolve this, you can either replace the batteries behind your current chips, or purchase new chips that have fresh batteries connected. For more information about battery replacement go here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/wordpress/product-use/r3000-cartridge-batteries/ or get new chips here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.84882/.f

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks for the thorough reply, even during a holiday! I’ll check the battery next week and replace it if it’s worn out. I appreciate the help, Dana.

You’re very welcome Jonathan! Please keep me posted and let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with.

Warmly~ Dana :slight_smile: