I1 spectro usability

I have an i1 spectro, not an i1 Pro. Can I use it with the piezo profiling software? When I see compatible devices, the i1 Pro is always listed, not the plain i1. Doesn’t seem to me that there would be a significant difference, but maybe there is.

Dear James, since the very beginning of the i1 every i1 as been an i1Pro.

Please let me know which version of i1Pro you have. v1, v2, v3 or v3Plus.

best
-Walker

Walker,

Ok. My only documentation says it’s from 8/6/2007. I don’t see a version number anywhere, but maybe that date indicates its version. It would be long overdue for calibration, in any case- this says it’s next calibration is due November 2008. It missed its appointment. : ) It’s X-rite, Gretag Macbeth, in case i1 is made by some other company now. It just says i1 on it, not Pro anywhere. On the device it says type: eye-one UV cut, Part # 42.17.80, SN 3,278-603626. Rev D. If this device is still adequate for the purpose, does one send it in to X-rite for re-calibration?

thanks

James

You have a rev A of the i1Pro. i1Profiler version 1.1 supports it as well as ColorPort both of which we support with Piezography. You may need an older iMac to run those older softwares though.

best
-Walker

Rev A, even though it says Rev D on it? My iMac is starting to get long in the tooth, even though it still does everything I need except that it won’t upgrade past Catalina. It’s a late 2013. I’ve been waiting as long as I can to go to a M1 machine. I do have even older desktops that could be used for the one purpose, though.

James

RevD hmm. That was during the takeover of Gretag by XRITE. Still supported.

best
-Walker

ah. I thought there was some switch of ownership, but I couldn’t remember what. Is re-calibration recommended? By X Rite? Or someone else?

James

It is not supported any longer sadly but most likely it’s still accurate for Luminance measurements. That is all that is needed
-Walker

My not supported I mean “not serviced by xrite”

best
-Walker

Is there one you’d recommend that runs on currents OSes?

I recommend the i1Pro v2 and i1Pro v3 (not Plus version)

best-Walker

So not able to be calibrated, at least not by x rite. Anyone else? Or better to buy a new device? If so, what’s your recommendation?

James

How necessary is it, for piezography? Important for best results? Or only if wanting to make my own paper profiles and tweak curves?

James

For Piezography it is not important. For PiezoDN Digital negs it’s required.

best
-Walker

ah, man, I’m glad I asked. You just saved me $1600… : )

FWIW, my i1Pro is a version 1, from around 2008 I think. Perhaps earlier. I still use it. I use it so little these days that there’s no way to justify upgrading to a V2 or V3. It works. Never been calibrated. It might not be accurate enough any more for critical design work, but it’s fine for me.

@walkerblackwell says that an i1Pro is not required for Piezo, and I guess that’s strictly correct, but it’s mighty darn useful, and I couldn’t imagine going back to Piezo without it.

I’m on Win 10, and my i1Pro and its s/w still work. One of the advantages of Win is that older devices and s/w haven’t been orphaned in the same way as they have on MacOS. If you’ve got a Mac that that the i1Po V1 still works on, I’d hang onto it as long as you possibly can. or find a cheap Win machine.

1 Like

Hmm. I have a 2007 i1, and Walker tells me that it’s not needed for piezography, only for making digital negs, which I’m not doing, saving me $1600 upgrading to V3.

Walker,
You mention in this thread about i1Pro spectros that service by xRite is required for PiezoDN negatives. I have an i1Pro2 which has never been serviced by xRite or Gretag (built in 2012.)
Do I need to send it to xRite for service in order to use it to calibrate DN negatives for Pt/Pd printing? I’m in the process of recalibrating for the verifiedUV version 2 LED strips which I have recently installed in my exposure unit. I have been getting some results that surprise me, not in a good way, and I’m now wondering if my spectro is the culprit.
TIA.
Mark

I have a line on a V3, for $950. Would you recommend it for either piezo or color? I have an 800 for piezo and a 900 for color. Or is profiling no longer needed as it once was?

If it’s a non-plus version it will work for both great.

-Walker