Help - Reset Waste Ink Tank Chip not resetting

Reset Waste Ink Tank Chip:

1. Refer to photos in the 3800/3880 waste tank chip resetter instructions: carefully align the 7 resetter pins with the 7 chip contacts, then lightly press them together.
  2. The resetter light will flash red a few times, then turn solid green to indicate the reset was successful.
  3. Insert the second waste tank and close the waste tank door. The printer will read the ink level data of this tank’s chip.
  4. Remove the second tank and insert the newly reset tank- the printer should now read this tank as empty and you can continue printing as normal.

I have followed these instructions and the tank is not showing empty. I get the green light but the tank still shows full when replaced. I ordered a new waste tank and it shows to be full when it is placed in the printer, what might be happening and is there any solution? I don’t understand why the brand new tank shows full. Can we never use a new tank again as the old ones can get pretty messy after a few times. I need help as soon as possible, I have waited over a week to get the new tank and now it doesn’t work.

Thanks for any help or thoughts that might solve this problem. I am also using the refillable ink carts!

CEH

Hi Charles~

Is the first tank you’re trying to reset reading totally full, or almost full on the printer’s LCD screen? As per the 38xx maintenance tank reset instructions, NOTE: A second waste tank is required to reset the first tank chip. Reset the waste ink tank chip when the printer first warns the tank is NEARLY full. If the printer reads a tank as full and needing to be replaced, the chip will lock and NOT be able to reset.

Please let me know so I can help you get past this and back to happily printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;3188]Hi Charles~

Is the first tank you’re trying to reset reading totally full, or almost full on the printer’s LCD screen? As per the 38xx maintenance tank reset instructions, NOTE: A second waste tank is required to reset the first tank chip. Reset the waste ink tank chip when the printer first warns the tank is NEARLY full. If the printer reads a tank as full and needing to be replaced, the chip will lock and NOT be able to reset.

Please let me know so I can help you get past this and back to happily printing~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you Dana, the Maintenance Tank was showing it was nearing full when I started out trying to reset it following the instructions coming with the chip resetter. I may have waited too long. I did purchase two new Maintenance tanks though and the printer still reads Maintenance Tank Full, replace tank. When I have done this with the new tanks, the printer still shows full! I can call you to discuss this if that would work as I am waiting to print a big job. I appreciate any help getting it back going!

Charles

760-985-2247

Thanks for the additional information Charles. Have you shut down and restarted the printer? If you install a brand new tank(s), your printer should read it/them as empty, no matter that you’re trying to reset the first tank.
Is your printer saying all the maintenance tanks are full when you install one and close the door, or do you have a maintenance tank “error” on the printer’s LCD screen? Is the printer giving any errors or messages for any of the ink carts, or just the maintenance tank?

I would try removing the waste tank and leaving the door open (with cartridges installed, and cartridge bay door closed), then turn the printer off for about a minute. After turning it back on, the printer should indicate no maintenance tank. Now, install a new tank and close the door. If the printer continues reading new tanks as full, then it may be a printer issue and I suggest calling Epson to see if they have any suggestions. Epson will always try to blame every issue on the use of non-OEM carts, but if your carts are all reading correctly and your maintenance tanks are all reading full (not a different “error”), then what you’re experiencing is unrelated to using refillable carts, and you don’t even need to tell them what carts you’re using.

I hope this helps, best regards~ Dana

I would try removing the waste tank and leaving the door open (with cartridges installed, and cartridge bay door closed), then turn the printer off for about a minute. After turning it back on, the printer should indicate no maintenance tank. Now, install a new tank and close the door. If the printer continues reading new tanks as full, then it may be a printer issue and I suggest calling Epson to see if they have any suggestions. Epson will always try to blame every issue on the use of non-OEM carts, but if your carts are all reading correctly and your maintenance tanks are all reading full (not a different “error”), then what you’re experiencing is unrelated to using refillable carts, and you don’t even need to tell them what carts you’re using.

I hope this helps, best regards~ Dana

Hi Dana, I have tried this and when the printer is booted back up, the tank now shows to be low so it isn’t reading empty even on the full tanks along with the old tank that has been reset. I will call Epson if you have no other ideas. When I installed the system the manual had me put a black piece of tape on the same pen including the Maintenance Tank but I haven’t done that since I did replace the old Maintenance tank with a new one the last time it showed full because I had let it go until empty.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I finally have been able to get it to reset and show the maintenance tank full. I inserted the new tank, pulled out the ink carts and then closed the door. turned off the printer then rebooted it. This time it said replace the Maintenance tank which I just pulled it out and reset it then put it back in. The printer message then said there were no carts installed so I opened the door, replaced them and closed it back, this time it reset all to full!

Excellent, I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem, and get your printer to accept the maintenance tank.
Thanks for explaining what you did, in case anyone else experiences the same trouble.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: