Gloss Overprint does not cover entire image?

I have a 4900 printing on glossy. When I run the prints back through it’s hit and miss whether the Glossy Overprint will cover the entire image.

I have read all the threads including Dana’s last post on March 27, 2014.

Dana’s Post:
There have not yet been any solid answers to this strange problem, but some people have reported success when leaving about 3" margins on the side, so the printer sees white paper on both sides on the image as it passes over, and continues printing GO Over the entire sheet. Here is what I’ve been telling others recently:

We have done extensive testing since discovering this issue, and gathered info from several customers using the x900/x890/x700 printers for Piezography gloss. We concluded the printer sensor is detecting what it thinks is the end of the paper when it sees dark ink area, and stops printing. There is no solid “fix” that is consistent and works in all cases, though some people have experienced success by printing a white image the full size of the paper they’re printing on (as you’re doing), leaving 2-3” white margins around the image (so the sensor “sees” white paper and doesn’t stop printing), and one customer feels he gets good results by selecting the 9800 printer model in his QTR window, but as I said none of our thoughts or customer reported “solutions” have been consistent or worked in every situation. This issue has been difficult to trouble shoot (and we’ve spent a great deal of time trying to figure it out), because results are random, and can not be duplicated from one printer to the next. I called and spoke to Epson to try figuring out how we can get the printers to print over an existing print, and they told me they’ve received many calls about this (because it’s always been possible up until these models), and it’s caused by the paper sensor on the print head. This sensor also controls other things like detects paper skew and size, as well as reads auto nozzle checks and alignments. The printer will not work if the sensor is removed or disconnected. I even tried tricking the sensor by applying a piece of white paper over it, but that didn’t work either. The only help Epson could offer is to suggest getting a new T-series printer, which doesn’t have this sensor, and is actually designed to print over prints- but, that’s not a realistic solution because those printers are MUCH more expensive.

We are testing a new RIP that may be able to bypass the paper sensor, and provide consistent overprinting for these models. I’m sure we’ll be very excited to announce the results if it works as we’re told it will. Although getting a T-series printer is out of the question because of the expense (not to mention we don’t even know if it can be run by QTR or another RIP to have individual channel control), a good solution is to get a decent working 7800/9800 or 7880/9880, which have NO problems printing Gloss Overprint. It will speed up your production to have a separate printer for applying GO, and give you smooth, consistent results every time. We have six 7880/9880 printers, with five set up with different Piezography ink tones, and all print matte and gloss using the “P2” ink configuration- they are fantastic machines.

Best regards~ Dana

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

I am running OS-X 10.10.4, Print tool 1.1.0, Quad tone Rip 2.7.5…

Any help is greatly appreciated!

quick update: I am in the process of working on developing Piezography Pro so that ink and GO print at the same time. So far test prints are looking very promising, so I feel like this will be the ultimate solution to get around these fussy sensors. More updates to come as development continues!

Warmly~ Dana :slight_smile:

Is there any chance that this new technology might flow through to other flavours of Piezography, other than Pro?

Possibly- once we get it perfected with the new Pro system, we’ll discuss/test going back to do it with the existing K7 system.
Unfortunately, simultaneous ink/GO printing will be very specific to each glossy paper, so is time consuming to get the perfect balance for each paper. For this reason, I expect we will be testing a wide range of glossy papers and have pre-made curves available for the papers we feel work the best and offer a range of looks/effects people want in glossy papers. The important considerations are: linear/smooth output, good dMax, good/even glossiness, and good bronzing elimination.

More to come soon!
~Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;9929]Possibly- once we get it perfected with the new Pro system, we’ll discuss/test going back to do it with the existing K7 system.
Unfortunately, simultaneous ink/GO printing will be very specific to each glossy paper, so is time consuming to get the perfect balance for each paper.[/QUOTE]

Then there’s the question of P2. Sounds like a lot of work, and doing both K7 and P2 increases it considerably.

Hope you’re feeling better, from someone in much the same position.

Thanks Brian, I am feeling a bit better myself, but haven’t had much sleep over the past few nights caring for kiddos that now don’t feel well…

P2 and K7 are very similar as far as ink levels (P2 is K7 just without shade 7), so if simultaneous ink/GO printing works with one, I expect it will be the same or very similar with the other. But- Pro is first, and we’l keep everyone posted as development progresses! :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,

Have you made any progress on the development of GO that prints at the same time as the ink? That would be wonderfull :slight_smile:

We have come to the conclusion that we will not be able to print the GO on our 9900. It’s just too inconsistent and time-consuming to get one good print. We’re looking at purchasing a 9800 or 9880. It sounds like either printer will work, but I just wanted to ask if you think one is better than the other?

Thanks in advance!
Darin

Hi Darin~

I have been thinking of you guys recently, and thought of contacting you about the Piezography Pro development (which is going very well so far).

Currently, with the two pass Piezography gloss printing workflow, a 9800 or 9880 would be perfect for GO, though I have experienced better results with older printers than haven’t had their firmware updated- because we recently got two refurbished 9880’s that apparently were updated, and will not work for GO printing (I have to trick them by putting a piece of white paper over the paper sensor- which is a pain).

Please feel free to contact me via email (I’ve had a few communications with Joseph, so he has my address) regarding any questions you may have about Piezography, getting setup, and any training you may need.

Warmly~ Dana :slight_smile: