Gloss Optimizer Not Covering Pure Black

Hello,

I am printing on Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique using K7 Selenium inks on an Epson 3800 using QTR Print-Tool 2.1 on a Mac Pro running OS X 10.11.6. I have no issues with printing the image itself, however, any prints with areas of absolute black (L0, RGB=0,0,0) exhibit dramatically increased gloss differential as the GO does not have any affect on those areas. Prints with only tiny areas of maximum black look fine, unless they feature an added black border around the image, which again looks dull compared to other areas of the print.

I started with the GO-30000 curve and assumed that this would be fine for this paper/ink combination until I printed an image with larger areas of maximum black. I have since created additional GO curves of 35000 and 40000 and printed with them with no noticeable improvement. I created the new curves according to instructions, compared the new files with the originals and could detect no additional formatting of any kind, only the change of a single line containing the amount figure.

The only thing I have not yet tried is setting QTR to 2880 from 1440 when printing the GO overlay as recommended somewhere in the literature.

Apart from the maximum black areas of the image, the GO is printing over the entire sheet out to within around 1/8" of the sides.

I’ve wasted an awful lot of ink and paper trying to solve this. Any sage advice would be welcomed.

Sincerely,

Greg De Santis

Update: I don’t know why my search of the forum did not find this information before I posted, but I found the answer to my question (Canson Baryta Photo requires 2 applications of GO) and do not require further responses… Thanks!

Double check that you are using WarmNeutral 1 ink as the shade 1 (NOT SELENIUM 1 OR NEUTRAL 1)

Also, check the new (PK-Master.quad) master curves that are part of the most recent Piezography Community Edition available at piezography.com. This changes the amount of inking in the shadows and may enable single pass GO on Baryta although we have not tested that yet on that specific paper.

best,
Walker