Gloss differential on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl

Dana, you get a chance to look at the sample I sent you last week?

Hi Mark~ I received your sample print and have reviewed the file full of ConeColor prints I have made on various glossy papers, including Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl for comparison. Although my samples are all printed with the full set of ConeColor Pro K3 inks, and I believe you are using CCP with Epson PK, your mid grays look very flat compared to my prints. I see you have bought refillable carts and ConeColor inks for your 7880/9880 and 7900/9900 printers- what printer was used to make the print you sent? Please clarify (because I’m going by memory of what Wells told me when you called), in this printer- do you have the full set of ConeColor Pro inks installed with Epson PK, or are you using a different combination of inks? What profile(s) are you using? What Media Type setting are you selecting in the print driver? Are you selecting Printer or Photoshop manages color?
Please let me know so I can help you resolve this gloss differential issue and get back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Just saw this post, I guess when I get a reply I do not get an e-mail notice about it. Anyway. This is on my 9900, as of right now all inks are yours except the PK. I have tried making new profiles, same results. I have tried diffrent ink loads, same results. My workaround has been to spary them with Hahnemuhle spray but I am just getting ready to do some Harman Fiber Glossy prints, getteing same results (a bit less) and I will not be able to spray those.

Only reason I am still using Epson PK because my cart is not low yet, then I will switch over to all CCP.

My workflow is to let Photoshop manage colors, I am using Epson’s driver on a Mac.

You would receive an email notice of any response or update to your post if you checked the box to subscribe to updates to this thread (an option when posting a new question).

When you select Photoshop Manages Color, are you using our pre-made “CCP-7900” profiles, the standard Epson profiles, or your own (or other) profiles? What Media Type Setting(s) are you selecting in the Epson print driver when using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl and Harmon Fiber Gloss papers? I have made several tests with various combinations of Epson and Cone Color Pro inks with great results, but did not test the exact ink combination you are using of CCP with Epson PK. Epson PK is slightly glossier than Cone Color PK (because Epson’s contains some dye to make it work better on gloss papers, and ours are pure pigment), but your print shows an extreme difference in glossiness from the black to grays. I expect this will not be an issue once you start using our PK ink, and should be able to print without spraying to equalize the glossiness. Have you seen our Cone Color printed samples? The gloss samples are printed with our 7900, and would give you a good example/reference of the full set of Cone Color inks on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper.

Please let me know if there’s anything further I can help you with.

You would receive an email notice of any response or update to your post if you checked the box to subscribe to updates to this thread (an option when posting a new question).

When you select Photoshop Manages Color, are you using our pre-made “CCP-7900” profiles, the standard Epson profiles, or your own (or other) profiles? What Media Type Setting(s) are you selecting in the Epson print driver when using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl and Harmon Fiber Gloss papers? I have made several tests with various combinations of Epson and Cone Color Pro inks with great results, but did not test the exact ink combination you are using of CCP with Epson PK. Epson PK is slightly glossier than Cone Color PK (because Epson’s contains some dye to make it work better on gloss papers, and ours are pure pigment), but your print shows an extreme difference in glossiness from the black to grays. I expect this will not be an issue once you start using our PK ink, and should be able to print without spraying to equalize the glossiness. Have you seen our Cone Color printed samples? The gloss samples are printed with our 7900, and would give you a good example/reference of the full set of Cone Color inks on Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper.

I have tried it with Epson’s canned profiles and the custom ones I make. I did not know you had your own pre-made ones, tell me where do I find it. I tried a bunch of ink loads, MEDIA types of everything in the Photo Papers drop down list. The key thing is I use to NOT get this severe differential, this has crept up since using CCP with Epson’s PK. I am finally almost out of it and will order some CCP PK today anyway. Do you really think it will solve this issue?

I hate to do this but when you respond can you pop me an e-mail, I can find no way to “add” that option to have the thread e-mail me when a post is made.

Our pre-made ConeColor profiles can be downloaded here: http://conecolor.com/icc/index.html

Whenever making profiles, I print a confirmation test print thru each profile to check the output before releasing profiles for public use. I reviewed the confirmation prints made with our 7900 and Cone Color Pro inks with all the papers we profiled, and am seeing even and good gloss- nothing like the test print you sent. With the only difference I see between our setups is that you are using the Epson PK and my prints were made with the full set of CCP inks, I expect your results will match mine after installing CCP PK.

Well the PK has been shipped by IJM, so we will see what happens after the final transformation.

Not that I really know what I am looking at but screen capture of your profile on left, mine on right.

Hmmm… I can’t open your attachment, can you try again? Please keep me posted on your output after installing the ConeColor Pro PK.

I am trying to attach a simple screen shot. jpg it will not upload.

I’m not sure why the attachment isn’t working, but you can send to me thru the techsupport@inkjetmall.com address, and I will respond on here.

I sent it to that e-mail address.

Dana - did you get the e-mail with the JPEG? Your thoughts?

Hi Mark~

Jon and I have reviewed your profile in comparison with our profile for the same printer/ink/paper combination. What do you use to make your profiles? How does your output compare using our profile and the profile you made for the same printer/ink/paper combination?

I use basICColor and a DTP-41. I saw no visual difference between using your profile and the one I made. BUT, and a very big BUT, now that your PK is in use, almost all the gloss differential has gone. So it probably was the mix of Epson’s PK with you inks. Might want to alert other customers not to do that combination.

Thanks for the update Mark. I am glad to hear the gloss differential problem is gone now that you installed ConeColor PK.
Is there any problem with your color accuracy, or was your profile question only related to the fact that our profiles are slightly different?

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: