Flushing just shades 4&5 on a 3880 loaded with WN-Sel for split-tone

Dana,

I have a 3880 which I use only for glossy printing (Piezoflush in matt black cart) with a Warm Neutral to Selenium inkset for split-tone on Jon Cone Type 5.

Currently I have a 50/50 mix at shade 4, but I would like to change to 50/50 at shade 5 for an extended warmth in the midrange. Is it possible to flush out these two slots independently as to save and not waste ink by performing a “selective” power clean of only these two shades? This would be a great capability, if possible.

BTW I’m an old guy who went to art school in the 70’s who was exclusively a diehard B&W film only shooter for only wet printing. I basically have no digital skills, but I already am stunned by the image quality, the resolution, and the tonality of My Piezography K-7/3880/ 27 Eizo system. I’ve only been printing for a little over a month, and I find the entire system to be thoughtfully engineered.

Thanks in advance.

Cal

Hi Cal~

Yes, you can change inks in individual channels by printing the QTR flush images specific to the color channels you wish to change. You can find instructions for doing this here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?166-Flush-individual-channel-using-QTR-Calibration-Mode

I’m glad to hear of your Piezography success and happiness with the system!

Please let me know if there’s anything else we can help you with.
best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana,

Thanks again.

BTW do you remember me from about two years ago? It took a while to get the funds to do everything the right way that both you and Jon recommended (especially a calibrated monitor). I mined all the info on the Peizography site during the wait, and in the end I found putting everything all together was kinda seamless. What a well engineered and designed system. Fun to use.

Cal

Can I jump in to say that I’ve been reading Calzone’s adventures in piezo on the rangefinder forum with interest, see for example this post? I hope he doesn’t mind me posting this, I can edit to remove it if he does.

The thread contains an interesting discussion about ABW vs piezo. Personally I think that the print exchange that was discussed in this thread was a bit silly, since they were comparing apples and oranges. I foiund this post by Jaeger a very compelling and balanced account of the advantages of using piezo. It also reflects my views about what sort of image and what sort of printing philosophy is best suited to piezo. I can also relate to his struggles to get matte accepted rather than gloss. Worth a read, IMHO.

Yes, of course I remember you Cal!

Warmly~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Brian_S;6485]Can I jump in to say that I’ve been reading Calzone’s adventures in piezo on the rangefinder forum with interest, see for example this post? I hope he doesn’t mind me posting this, I can edit to remove it if he does.

The thread contains an interesting discussion about ABW vs piezo. Personally I think that the print exchange that was discussed in this thread was a bit silly, since they were comparing apples and oranges. I foiund this post by Jaeger a very compelling and balanced account of the advantages of using piezo. It also reflects my views about what sort of image and what sort of printing philosophy is best suited to piezo. I can also relate to his struggles to get matte accepted rather than gloss. Worth a read, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Brian,

Thanks for the link.

About two years ago I borrowed one of Jon’s 13x19 portfolio’s, and I shared it with members from the NYC Meet-Up. I was blown away, especially by the idea of making a digital negative and contact printing a silver print.

Anyways many thanks to Jon, Dana, Cathy and Roy for doing all the heavy lifting.

Cal

It’s our goal to blow people away! :slight_smile: