First QTR-piezo-prints, first troubles… help needed

(…sorry for my poor english…)

Hi, I’m a Piezography newbie.

My equipment/software:

• Epson R2880 + Warm Tone inks (matte black) + Epson Enhanced Matte Paper
  • Apple notebook / Mac OSX 10.9.4 + calibrated Eizo S2243 (ColorMunki Photo)
  • Phase One Capture One 7 Pro
  • QTR Print Tool 1.1.0

I’ve made some test prints but with bad results and I can’t figure out what has gone wrong.
You can see some explanatory images by clicking here:

Do you have any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance.

you need to install the Quad2880-K7 printer to install Piezography curves. From your screen captures, I can see you have installed the Quad2880 (non-K7 model), which is for Epson inks.
Please delete your Quad2880 printer, and install the Quad2880-K7, then make a test print with a K7 curve and let me know your results.

I hope this helps, best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Ok, thank you very much for your help.

Also, your images should have an embedded profile of either Gamma 2.2 or Adobe RGB (1998) for Piezography printing with QTR.

Best regards~ Dana

As you have kindly suggested, I’ve installed the Quad2880-K7 and made some test prints:

Any other advice will be obviously welcome.

I’m also a bit worried about the ink usage on my printer.
I’ve printed only 15 images (A4 format with margin), and five cartridges are almost empty.

Thanks for the additional information. Your print settings all look correct, except you have an embedded profile of “Phase One Gray G2.2”, but I have no experience with this profile and it may be the same as the standard “Gray Gamma 2.2”, though it may be worth converting an image to Gray Gamma 2.2 in Photoshop, then making a small test print to see if it differs.

Other than what I think looks like a slight yellow staining in your highlights (or, is it the paper color I’m seeing?), I think your prints look pretty good, and normal for Piezography output.
Compared to Epson ABW, the initial reaction is that Piezography prints look “flat”, but this is because Piezography is able to print linear and show extreme shadow and highlight detail (Epson ABW forces untrue contrast to make brighter highlights and darker shadows than is true to the image). Piezography prints true image information, so 10% prints 10% gray, 30, 50, 80, 95, 99, etc… What you want to do now, is make adjustments to your image to get the desired contrast with Piezography. Black will only print where the image information is pure black, so if the image doesn’t contain pure black, it won’t print black- and can make the output look flat. Please refer to the “NEW Piezography Manual” and “Where is the Black?” documents on our Piezography technical support page, here: http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/technical-support/ for information on adjusting image contract, get true black, and how to make a fine Piezography print.

Please let me know if you have further question or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks.

Yes, it is the paper color. I scan the black and white prints in RGB color.

Ok, thank you again.

Could you give me any clarification/suggestion about the unexpected ink usage?

You are very welcome.

QTR has a much tighter dot pattern than the standard Epson driver, therefore uses more ink. We did a test of printing a letter size image thru QuadTone RIP with our R2880 printer, and were able to get a total of 16 prints before the printer indicated a cartridge was empty and needed to be refilled/replaced. Ink use will also be effected by the number of cleaning cycles you do, plus each time the printer is turned on and/or a cartridge is replaced, the printer does an automatic cleaning cycle.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Many thanks for the useful information about R2880 ink usage.
I’ve just another question: to refill/change the cartridges, is it advisable to wait until the ink light flashes or stay on?

You are very welcome. You can refill carts when the ink out light starts flashing, or is on solid. As long as the cartridge is filled all the way (a tiny air pocket is normal) when reset, then there should still be a small amount of ink remaining when the printer indicates the cartridge needs to be replaced (ink out light on steady).

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: