Failure of yellow printhead channel on R2400 using CIS Piezography

Two weeks ago my R2400 was printing fine. Last week, I try printing and the resulting image came out poorly. I did a nozzle check and saw the yellow channel was not printing. After several attempts to clear what I presumed was a clogged head, I pulled the cartridge for the yellow channel and noticed it was not pulling ink. Thinking something was clogged in the line, I tried to pull ink to the cartridge using the suction bottle. It worked perfectly, filling the cartridge. But still no ink output.

I took the printer to a local Epson service shop. Today, the tech said she had conducted a flush of the printhead but the yellow channel was still not functioning. After several other attempts to clear the head, she noticed (what I had also noticed on doing a nozzle check) the print head seemed to make a indentation on the paper but no ink came out. She believes the printhead is fine and think it has something to do with my bulk ink CIS.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the possible problem and corrective measures? If I can’t get any suggestions, I will probably going to have her replace the waste pads (already reset once and, according to the tech, are about 85% full) and bring the printer home. Next step, in my logical thinking, would be to swap one of the working cartridges into the bad slot and see if the problem is corrected.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

After reviewing your order history, I see you purchased the 2400 CIS in Feb 2009, so it’s over five years old.
Depending on use history, you may be dealing with a blocked air vent hole in the yellow bottle, or blockage in the yellow tube or damper that is restricting ink flow of that channel.
Have you been regularly cleaning your printer’s capping station and wiper blade, and have you cleaned the bottom of the print head? If not, please read our recommended printer cleaning/maintenance tips, here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?133-Printer-Cleaning-and-Preventative-Maintenance
How often have you been using your printer, vs. how long does it sit unused?
How often have you been agitating your CIS ink bottles?
What is the ink level in the yellow CIS bottle?
Have you and the Epson tech been testing the yellow channel function with the Piezography CIS, Epson carts, or some other ink carts?
The yellow channel contains Piezography shade 7 ink, which is extremely light, and can be difficult to see on the nozzle checks. To better see if the yellow channel is printing (or not), it may be good to print the Ink Separation image thru QuadTone RIP’s Calibration Mode, which you can find instructions for here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?144-Print-Ink-Separation-Image-thru-QTR-Calibration-Mode

Are you aware that you can install an external waste ink bottle to prevent future waste ink from bing deposited into the pads in the bottom of your printer, then just reset the sensor when it thinks the pads are full (and empty the external bottle as needed)? For more information on the waste in bottle system, please go here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.4784/.f?sc=18&category=-118

I hope this helps, please keep me posted.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Definitely a big help, Dana. Since the waste pads are already nearing full (currently @ 85%), I am going to have the tech replace the pads and I will try some of your suggestions.

Have not checked the air vent hole. Will do that.
Will check out the link on the capping station and wiper blade. Thanks.
Been using the printer once a week for almost the last year.
Agitate the ink bottles usually 2-3 times per week.
Ink level is within specs.
The tech tried with the CIS then some old Epson carts that she was unsure of their status.
If necessary, will try the Ink Separation Image thru QuadTone Calibration Mode. Was not aware of that. Thanks.
And, finally, will also check out the external waste ink bottle. Thanks.

Definitely some excellent tips, Dana. Will update status next week when I get the printer back. Thanks again for the response.

Rich

After looking at the links you provided, Dana, I have ordered the external waste ink bottle kit as well as viewed the YouTube video on cleaning/maintenance tips. I will probably add the Small Format Flush kit tomorrow just so I have it on hand for cleaning the printhead. Once I have the printer back home and have performed my own cleanings (as well as adding the external waste bottle), I will decide where to go from that point.

Again, many thanks for your suggestions. There was enough information to allow me to make some intelligent and informed decisions on what I should do with regards to my current dilemma.

Rich

Sounds good, keep me posted and let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.

All the best~ Dana :slight_smile: