Espon R2880: marks on prints

Hi,

I’ve just read another thread about (I think) the same problem or something quite similar: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?643-Marks-on-top-of-a-print-when-using-the-Epson-2880

Well, this is a print I made (Canson Baryta Photographique 310, and 2 layer of 30000 GO): http://robertofrieri.net/test/Piezo_test.jpg
If you look at it, you’ll see many marks at almost 10 different heights.

I can confirm that this kind of problem is intermittent, sometimes when using GO and sometimes printing the original image, but only occasionally when printing on matte paper. No matter if I use the rear sheet loader.

In the aforementioned thread, BTA, talking about an Epson R3880, suggested to increase the width of the platen gap to wide: is it possible even on the R2880? How?

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Looks like pizza wheels. I experienced them on my 3880 a few weeks ago when making prints with very dark-toned sections, while using Canson’s Baryta Photographique and Platine Rag. I was able to work around it by using the manual front-feed, placing a 2-ply sheet of mat board under the print paper and turning off paper size check in the printer menu options.

I also found JonCone Type5 Studio paper to be much more resistant to pizza wheel marks (besides being a lovely Baryta paper on its own merits). Epson Exhibition Fiber also seems resistant, albeit that’s a much cooler paper and contains a lot of OBAs. I’m able to use both those papers through the manual rear paper feed without pizza wheel marks. The JC Type5 is now my go-to glossy paper.

Hi Jager
thank you for your answer, which confirm what I suspected.
I hope to find soon a solution for this problem (not a small one!), so to be able to print safely on any kind of fine art paper (if possible).

I think that I could try to use the manual front-feed of my R2880, but how do you attach the paper to the mat board before printing it? I would never want to do damage…

Just a little problem: there are no settings for the “paper size check” in the QuadR2880-K7 driver.

The front feed on my 3880 doesn’t require that the mat board and paper be attached. Assuming your 2880 works similarly, just lay your print upon the mat and make sure they both are aligned perfectly with other and that they register perfectly the right-hand edge and front-edge of the printer. (The only purpose of the mat board is to raise the paper a bit, for maximum fidelity).

Turning the paper size check option off is not necessary when making the print itself. It only became an issue on my 3880 when trying to run the second pass to lay down the GO… the printer sensor would detect that the paper already had ink on it and would refuse to lay down GO, even when presenting a 2" margin, per the workaround that Dana usually uses. I found that turning off the paper size check option allowed the GO to be deposited.

Your 2880 may not exhibit the same odd behavior as my 3880. I’d just print with the mat board using the manual front feed. And then try the GO pass. You might find the GO works no problem. If it doesn’t, the first thing I’d try is Dana’s standard workaround, described here, under the “Leading edge for glossy printing” … http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?147-Piezography-Gloss-Printing-Tips

Good luck!

As an aside, if Epson ever fixes the head-clogging problems in their larger printers I’ll be buying one just to get the more sophisticated paper handling those models possess.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
thank you very much for your precious help!
I made some test, and the front manual feed slot of my R2880 seems to work fine.
I lay the inkjet paper (Ilford Gold Fibre Silk) upon a cardboard that I cut out about 2 inch longer, so to make sure that the printer could load the paper entirely.
Sure enough, my first attempt failed because the printer can’t load the last section of the paper.