Error chips/cartridge MK - black ink change?

Hello. I have some problem with the MK cartridge chip on my K7 system (9880) after a complete piezoflush cleaning (with a new set of cartridge).
The K7 was always in MK on this 9800 and I never did the “black ink change”, but today if I’m trying to re-insert the MK cartridge, I get an error (did 6 chip reset), by curiosity I tried to insert the PK cartridge and it works…no more error. The PK chip shade 1 should be accepted by the printer only after a “black ink change” isn’t it?
What should I do to resolve this MK’s chips problem?.

Thanks.
Anthony

Does the error say “wrong black ink” otherwise, it’s just a bad chip. Sometimes and Init-Fill and default the printer to PK FYI (rare, but it happens).

There are times when this printer will accept a PK chip even in MK mode (but not the reverse).

That said, if you are printing Piezography there is zero difference between running the printer in PK or MK regardless of the ink in the actually cartridge so if it’s working I wouldn’t worry about it.

best,
Walker

Hi Walker,
No the error say “Ink cartridge error” so a bad chip… need to change the cartridge or the chip (my MK cartridge is already fill with Neutral Shade 1 and the Black with Warm Neutral S1…)
I only used MK until now, so I will need to do a “black ink change” procedure each time, from MK to PK and again to go back from PK to MK right? . Maybe P2 is definitly a good idea, need to check if I will really miss Shade 7 or not, but to do this I need to fill a new refillable yellow cartridge with the Warm Neutral Shade 1 (selenium inks), isn’t it?

Thanks again
Anthony

I would say P2 is a good idea. (Yellow channel runs WN1 instead of Shade 7). Just use the PK chip on the MK cartridge and the PK cartridge in the Yellow channel.

You can switch the chips on the cartridges. Instruction video here: InkjetMall.com - Replacing chips on Epson 7800 7880 9800 9880 Refillable Cartridges - YouTube

The P2 curves are actually the newest curves we’ve made. There is also a new master P2 gloss curve in that folder (built for WN1 PK ink) that works really well as well.

best,
Walker

…I check the video thanks
Just see the new “P2-WN-PK-master.quad”.
thanks

You do need to put the Yellow chip on your PK cartridge to use it in the Yellow channel.

best,
Walker

Thank you Walker, I did the change to P2 and some new tests on Type5 (I really love this Baryta paper). I need to continue to test it but my first impression is that the difference between the same print on K7 and P2 is really subtle and tiny (but it exists). Slightly “visible” (and “harder” for the P2), in the clear gray. It’s more a “feeling”, when you see the two prints together, than “visible”. Of course it’s only my personal opinion.

Best
Anthony

I’m always interested to hear of other users’ comparisons of K7 and P2. When JeffG and I were switching to P2 we did a number of such comparisons and we simply couldn’t see the difference. You’d expect the difference or adding of removing shade 7 to be in the highlights, and so we looked particularly at high-key images, although given that the entire structure of a P2 curve is different, perhaps differences might not solely be on the highlights. In any event, as far as we could see, the prints were identical.

Do you happen to know whether your curves are linear or not? Our comparisons were using curves that had been relinearised and were both deal linear. If that’s not the case then you’d expect some difference between the K7 & P2 prints simply from differences in linearity. Especially because each K7 curve is supposed to apply for a particular paper across all five inksets, whereas a separate P2 curve was created for each of the inksets. If you’re using unrelinearised stock curves then you’d expect differences from this, and in my experience the P2 curves are generally more linear.

Probably a dumb question, but have you completely flushed the ink lines as part of the change to P2. There’s a lot of ink lurking in there which would confuse any comparison.

[QUOTE=Jeffg53;12895]Probably a dumb question, but have you completely flushed the ink lines as part of the change to P2. There’s a lot of ink lurking in there which would confuse any comparison.[/QUOTE] Not a dumb question at all, yes I had flushed all the ink lines (I need to study this possibility to modify the maintenance tank, because with every init fill, flush lines, it must be change very often…)

About K7 and P2, it wasn’t an advanced/professional comparison. I had some prints on K7 and I printed them again with P2.quad. Without relinearization. In my case, the passage between the gray seems softer in k7, but it’s minimalist, and as I said, not a professional/tecnical comparison. I’m almost sure that with linearization it’s imperceptible.

Thanks Anthony. I suspect that some prints may show a difference but I could not see it.

Without relinearisation you don’t know whether the differences you see are due to that or P2 vs K7. Based on our testing, my bet would be on differences in linearity. If you don’t have the capacity to relinearise, then I guess you run some tests and see which you like the best, although it may well vary from paper to paper.

[QUOTE=Brian_S;12907]Without relinearisation you don’t know whether the differences you see are due to that or P2 vs K7.[/QUOTE] You are totally right. I will try with a relinearization.

After a relinearization, I can just say that my first impression about the differences between k7 / P2 (so without linearization) = 0 - no validity (good lesson) :slight_smile: The print with my new P2 curve is just …just “wow”…