Epson9890 will not recognize Cone color ink cartridges

I just got a new Epson 9890 and purchased a set of the Cone 850ml cartridges and 700ml inks and started a lot of printing. Everything was going good till I installed the Cone inks. The LtK was the first to go out. I put the Cone LtK cartridge in and at first it was not recognized - No Cartridge, Install Ink Cartridge - , but then I remembered to charge it with the syringe, then it was good.

Then the LtLtK went out. I put the Cone ink cartridge in and the printer would not recognize it. And it also would not recognize the LtK. Same message - No Cartridge Install Ink Cartridge -. I recharged the Cone cartridges and reset the chips - same result.

There was still a little ink in the OME LtLtK cartridge so I put it back in. Then I reinstalled the Cone LtK and the printer recognized it. I made a print. I put another piece of paper in the printer and after the printer took the paper into position I get the same error message No Cartridge Install Ink Cartridge. If I reinstall the LtK I can make one print and then the described above process repeats - the Cone cartridge is not recognized, until I take it out and put it back in, and then it is not recognized after one print, or one nozzle check test print. The LtLtK continues to not be recognized.

I have tried pushing the Cone cartridges to the left as described in other post responses - no result.

I have not tried any of the other inks.

Hi Willy~

Thanks for the detailed information, and I’m sorry to hear of your strange problem with our 850ml carts in your 9890.

I have tested several sets of these carts in out 7900 and 9900 printers, and have several customers happily using them. This is the first report we’ve received of issues with these carts, so please know your experience is not normal, and I will work to resolve this issue for you.

When you install a cartridge into this model printer, you push it in all the way, it pops out slightly and is locked into the printer. If the cartridge doesn’t pop out slightly, it’s correctly positioned and can effect the chip read. Please try pushing the refill carts into your printer to lock them in, then pull gently to make sure they’re correctly positioned. The 850ml carts should take up the entire cartridge chamber, so the back end of the cart is at the very end of the cartridge chamber.

Please let me know if this does the trick, if you have questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana,
I reinstalled the inks (several times) and the LtK is now functioning properly, but the LtLtK is not. The LtLtK is doing what I described before: I reinstall it and the printer will recognize it for one print, then when the printer sets the next sheet of paper - No Cartridge Install Ink Cartridge. Do you think replacing the chip would help?
ws

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;2781]Hi Willy~

Thanks for the detailed information, and I’m sorry to hear of your strange problem with our 850ml carts in your 9890.

I have tested several sets of these carts in out 7900 and 9900 printers, and have several customers happily using them. This is the first report we’ve received of issues with these carts, so please know your experience is not normal, and I will work to resolve this issue for you.

When you install a cartridge into this model printer, you push it in all the way, it pops out slightly and is locked into the printer. If the cartridge doesn’t pop out slightly, it’s correctly positioned and can effect the chip read. Please try pushing the refill carts into your printer to lock them in, then pull gently to make sure they’re correctly positioned. The 850ml carts should take up the entire cartridge chamber, so the back end of the cart is at the very end of the cartridge chamber.

Please let me know if this does the trick, if you have questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

Today I installed the OME in the LTLTK position and then the LtK would not recognize, so now I am running on OME cartridges.
HELP!

I’m sorry to hear of your continued troubles, and will send you replacement chips right away (which I’ll test in our printer before packing/shipping, to make sure they work well)!! You will want to attach the new chip to the cartridge in place of the existing chip, with gold contacts facing the front of the cartridge, and chip attached flat/flush to the cartridge using double sided tape.

Please let me know how the new chips work, if you have questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thank you.

I just received all my 9890 850ml carts. yea! but none of them are recognized by the printer. i tried all the recommendations above. but the only thing i found that worked was to remove the chip. put paper or tape in the hole below the chip in order to raise the chip about 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch higher. i found that the chips were just too low for the little wire fingers to touch them. raising them up allowed my printer to then recognize each cart. small modification, but it worked.

Hi Tim~

Thanks for your helpful input, and I’m sorry the cartridges didn’t work correctly (without modification). I am investigating this now to determine if something is off with the carriage mold, and what we can do to remedy the situation.
I’m glad you were able to resolve the issue and your printer is now recognizing all the carts, but modification shouldn’t be necessary, and if the chip is raised too much, can catch on and damage the chip sensor- so I’m working to test/resolve this issue, and appreciate your input.

Please let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: