Epson SP 4900 Error: Ink Cartridge Error Please Install the Correct ink Cartridge

I am having problems with my LC chip in my Epson SP 4900 printer. The cart chip is throwing an “Ink Cartridge Error Please Install the Correct ink Cartridge.” The chip first gave this error after about twenty prints and progressively became worse and is now throwing the error every one to five prints.

I requested, and was quickly sent , replacement chips (the LLK chip was independently throwing errors in the exact same way but the replacement chip now seems to be functioning just fine) and the new chip gives the exact same error EVERY single reset, I can not get one single print from the replacement chip.

I also tried a battery powered chip from an older ink cartridge set that I use exclusively for cleaning and it works perfectly without ever giving any errors. The Epson OEM cart also works perfectly. I browsed the technical website and FAQ’s sections and did not see my problem listed. I did, however, check the pins inside the printer and found none of the pins bent or misaligned, I also cleaned the pins and chip contacts with alcohol to no avail. I also tried to wedge the cart one way or the other but this did not cure the error messages.

Since beginning this customer service request I am now also getting periodic errors with the Orange and LK carts, these were usually in conjunction with the LC error and may be related.

See related video:
http://www.photodady.com/ConeColor_Chips.mp4

From what I gather, you have 3 LC chips, 2 are NON-Battery and 1 is a Battery Style chip. The 2 that are NON-Battery do not work for very long, before throwing a Install Cart message, but the Battery style chip works properly. This is strange behavior for 2 chips in a row to not work properly, it sounds like a fit concern with the cartridge itself.

Please tell me, it is a little unclear to me, did you install the Battery style chip onto the current cartridge you are trying to make work OR did you simply install the entire cartridge with that battery installed on it already? If you have not performed this test, please take the Battery Style chip off the cart it is installed on and place it on the cartridge that is giving you trouble. This will tell me if it’s cartridge fit related or chip related.

Kindly,
Kelly

[QUOTE=KellyC;6653]From what I gather, you have 3 LC chips, 2 are NON-Battery and 1 is a Battery Style chip. The 2 that are NON-Battery do not work for very long, before throwing a Install Cart message, but the Battery style chip works properly. This is strange behavior for 2 chips in a row to not work properly, it sounds like a fit concern with the cartridge itself.

Please tell me, it is a little unclear to me, did you install the Battery style chip onto the current cartridge you are trying to make work OR did you simply install the entire cartridge with that battery installed on it already? If you have not performed this test, please take the Battery Style chip off the cart it is installed on and place it on the cartridge that is giving you trouble. This will tell me if it’s cartridge fit related or chip related.

Kindly,
Kelly[/QUOTE]

The same ink cartridge was used with all of the chips, Unless there is a manufacturing variance in the positioning of the circuit board on the plastic holders it should not be a result of cartridge fit, I will look closer at the different chips.

I took three images with the cart locked in a vise and a camera mounted to a sturdy tripod, one image with each of the three chips. I then superimposed the two battery-less chip images using edge detection upon the image with the battery powered chip. the lower lines are from the original chip shipped with my carts, the upper lines are from the replacement chip sent to me. This indicates that the alignment of the replacement chip is slightly off from the other two chips, but not by very much. The horizontal red lines show where the swiping of the printer contacts occurs. It does not appear to me that alignment is the issue.

Clever! Customers like you make my job easy! You mentioned you would like a battery style chip to replace this non-battery chip in your video? I actually have some leftovers here in my office, I would be happy to send you one from here, with a new battery and tested in our 4900. Let me know & I will drop it in the mail today. Otherwise, I will send you a NON-battery style chip from the warehouse.
Thanks,
Kelly

Clever! Customers like you make my job easy! You mentioned you would like a battery style chip to replace this non-battery chip in your video? I actually have some leftovers here in my office, I would be happy to send you one from here, with a new battery and tested in our 4900. Let me know & I will drop it in the mail today. Otherwise, I will send you a NON-battery style chip from the warehouse.
Thanks,
Kelly

[QUOTE=KellyC;6660]Clever! Customers like you make my job easy! You mentioned you would like a battery style chip to replace this non-battery chip in your video? I actually have some leftovers here in my office, I would be happy to send you one from here, with a new battery and tested in our 4900. Let me know & I will drop it in the mail today. Otherwise, I will send you a NON-battery style chip from the warehouse.
Thanks,
Kelly[/QUOTE]

Great, It just seems as if there are a lot more problems with the battery free chips, a battery powered chip would be great.

Our internet was down until later in the day yesterday, your chip will be mailing out today, you should see it beginning of next week. Please let me know it is solves your problems, it is perplexing to me that you have already tried 2 chips that failed…very unusually! Kelly

Thanks! The new chip seems to be working just fine. Just a thought, might the battery-less chips be more susceptible to ESD? I noticed that you do not ship the chips in ESD safe packaging, it may be possible that the battery acts as a buffer for preventing some static buildup on the old chips. I am an electrical engineer and indeed do practice safe ESD standards.