Epson R3000. How often should it go through a self clean cycle?

Hi everyone.

Sorry for all these posts about the R3000 but as mentioned I am just making sure all is well with mine before installing K7 inks. Mine seems to initiate an ‘auto’ cleaning cycle very frequently. It seems like only a few days are elapsing between these and I’m wondering if this is normal?

Many thanks,
Neil.

My R3000 is 1 year old and it has only run 3 auto-cleaning cycles in that time and I have printed over 800 prints. I do pull the power plug when the printer isn’t used (smetimes for over a month), but I print at least a nozzle check once a week. I hope that it stays this way with auto cleans.

Thanks for the response !

Hmmmm. I guess I will have to keep an eye on my R3000 then. I’m still running on K3 inks. Should be ordering the K7 Carbon or Warm Neutral soon but I want to make sure my R3000 is ‘normal’. If it proves to be misbehaving then I don’t want to be calling Epson after the ink switch over.

I still haven’t seen anything that documents what makes the printer decide to run a cleaning cycle. Maybe I should try killing the power when the printer is not in use. Currently I press the power button at the end of a printing session. My capping station is due for it’s first biweekly clean but I’m waiting on a yellow cartridge in the post so I don’t dare turn it on right now in case it decides to run an auto clean and drain the last of my current yellow cart… :wink:

Thanks again,
Neil.

I have noticed Epson has programmed the newer printer models with more auto cleaning cycles, which I believe is to keep ink moving and prevent the print head from drying/clogging, but may also serve a second purpose of using more ink to increase their sales (?). Either way- frequent/regular auto cleaning cycles are normal with all the newer printer models (within the past few years) when you send a nozzle check or print job after the printer has sat unused for a while, and always occurs at startup and when replacing a cartridge. As with any printer model, we recommend regular use to prevent drying and settling of pigment particles, as well as turning the off the printer when it’s not used for a few days (I keep our printers on during the week when they’re used, then turn them all off on Friday afternoon for the weekend), and routine cleaning/maintenance to keep the printer clean, working well and lasting a long time.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;1143]I have noticed Epson has programmed the newer printer models with more auto cleaning cycles, which I believe is to keep ink moving and prevent the print head from drying/clogging, but may also serve a second purpose of using more ink to increase their sales (?). Either way- frequent/regular auto cleaning cycles are normal with all the newer printer models (within the past few years) when you send a nozzle check or print job after the printer has sat unused for a while, and always occurs at startup and when replacing a cartridge. As with any printer model, we recommend regular use to prevent drying and settling of pigment particles, as well as turning the off the printer when it’s not used for a few days (I keep our printers on during the week when they’re used, then turn them all off on Friday afternoon for the weekend), and routine cleaning/maintenance to keep the printer clean, working well and lasting a long time.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Dana,

Thanks. I noticed your other reply also. I’ll eagerly await your comments…

Thanks again,
Neil