Epson R3000 Error, blinking ink icon, turn off printer and restart

Hi,

I became familiar with this blog after my Epson r3000 kept getting clogged, streaks, etc. (specifically the photo black channel).

I had a stubborn photo black channel that kept getting clogged. I purchased the flush kit and it seemed to have worked. I almost got the photo black channel back entirely so was going to do one more head cleaning (third one) after cleaning. I was quite psyched I got my printer back…well almost. On what I thought was going to be last head cleaning before it would be perfect, I noticed a message popped up on the printer utility, it said something like cannot recognize printer cartridges or something- it’s not there now. So close!
Now when I turn on the printer, after a few seconds, the ink icon and power button blinks and it says Error, turn off printer and restart, see documentation. No idea what to do. It was almost working perfectly before the message. I have reset the ink counter, cleaned the capping station, ink pads, switched out USB cable, etc. Nothing.
I have all new Epson ink cartridges that I can put in/ replace but not sure if I should. I’m wondering if possibly all my inks may have been low and near empty and that is why I’m receiving the message? Especially if I’m going to be bringing this to the technician. Are there pads on the bottom of the printer I need to clean or replace? Any help, thoughts before I bring this to an Epson technician. I’m curious what the tech would do that I am not. Anything I can I try? Thank you for the blog and all the other documentation. Epson tech support is not helpful “bring it to a tech”
Thank you

Hi cbphoto~

How did you use our print head cleaning kit on your R3000 printer? Our instructions specify to use it directly on the print head.
So, you used our PiezoFlush print head cleaning kit, and were able to do 2 cleaning cycles after, before the error began?
I looked thru the R3000 printer manual, and unfortunately it doesn’t give any more info about the light sequence you’re getting… Are both the ink and power lights blinking? If so, are they blinking at the same time, or alternately?
Have you made sure all carts are installed snugly, and opened/closed the cartridge chamber lid, to make sure it’s closed tightly?
Other than the lights, what is displayed on the printer’s LCD panel? Does it show cartridge positions? If so, are any flashing or have a line thru them?

I would try the following things before bringing the printer to a repair center:

1. remove all carts, and turn the printer off for a few minutes (unplug all cables). After plugging in the power cord and turning it back on, the printer will indicate no carts are installed. At this time, reinstall the set of carts to see how the printer responds.

2. If the printer still gives an “ink” error, and isn’t indicating a specific cart is low/empty, then try shutting down the printer like you did before, but this time instal the set of fresh carts after turning it back on.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know~ Dana

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;5209]Hi cbphoto~

How did you use our print head cleaning kit on your R3000 printer? Our instructions specify to use it directly on the print head.
So, you used our PiezoFlush print head cleaning kit, and were able to do 2 cleaning cycles after, before the error began?
I looked thru the R3000 printer manual, and unfortunately it doesn’t give any more info about the light sequence you’re getting… Are both the ink and power lights blinking? If so, are they blinking at the same time, or alternately?
Have you made sure all carts are installed snugly, and opened/closed the cartridge chamber lid, to make sure it’s closed tightly?
Other than the lights, what is displayed on the printer’s LCD panel? Does it show cartridge positions? If so, are any flashing or have a line thru them?

I would try the following things before bringing the printer to a repair center:

1. remove all carts, and turn the printer off for a few minutes (unplug all cables). After plugging in the power cord and turning it back on, the printer will indicate no carts are installed. At this time, reinstall the set of carts to see how the printer responds.

2. If the printer still gives an “ink” error, and isn’t indicating a specific cart is low/empty, then try shutting down the printer like you did before, but this time instal the set of fresh carts after turning it back on.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know~ Dana[/QUOTE]

Hi Dana,

Thank you very much for replying to my post. Yes, I used it the Piezoflush kit as instructed and it worked fine I believe.
After the cleaning, I was able to print off a few test sheets and ran two head cleaning cycles which got it almost perfect. I was excited.

But during the third cleaning, printer stopped, something popped up for a second from my Epson utilities screen saying something about incompatible or unrecognizable inks or something? I don’t remember exactly.

And now after power up, it begins it’s start up like usual, vivid magenta pops up on LCD with the dots moving to the right then…
Both (power and ink) lights begin blinking alternately. Red x on top of LCD “Error”, below that it says Printer error. Turn power off and then turn on again. For details, see your documents. Nothing else on LCD panel except the error message.

I removed all the ink pads from under the printer too-yuck! I was hoping that would reset an ink sensor or something but no. Is there a sensor?

I replaced all new Epson ink cartridges since the initial error popped up. i was hoping that would take care of it it but no such luck. Everything is snug, lids shut. Just now, I removed all ink cartridges, started it up and same error message and blinking lights as before. I put all ink carts back in and still same message. I have reset ink counter using an inkreset software, and also I noticed when checking ink info it said status was fatal and my inks were unavailable.
Hope this info might help you figure this out. Not sure if I want to repair ($400 overhaul according to my epson tech) get another one these models or go one size up. Any suggestions? Thank you and thank you for this forum!

Hi cbphoto~

Our instructions for the print head cleaning kit specify to use it directly on the print head, so did you disconnect the dampers to use the cleaning kit directly on your print head, or did you use it in the cartridge bay, pushing fluid thru the ink lines to try cleaning the head?

The alternately flashing power and ink lights may be signaling your waste ink pad sensor estimates pads are full. In this case, we recommend installing an external waste ink bottle, which you can find here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.4784/.f?sc=18&category=-118, and resetting the sensor using the Adjustment Program (which is only Windows compatible) or WIC reset utility from www.2manuals.com
When you reset the sensor, did you receive any error at that time?
Did you use the WIC reset or Adjustment Program?
Did you replace the ink soaked pads with new pads, or leave the bottom of the printer empty?
Have you thoroughly the inside of the printer, print head patch and cartridge chamber to make sure everything is in place, no foreign objects are in the way, or no excess liquid is visible?
Does the print head move at all when the printer starts up, or does the error appear before the head moves at all?
If you used the print head cleaning kit in the cartridge chamber, did any PiezoFlush get onto the cartridge chip sensors, or in the cartridge chamber anywhere?

Please let me know and I will try to help.
Best regards~ Dana

Hello,

I used the flushkit in the cartridge bay and pushed fluid thru ink lines. I also used to dampen paper towel and rested head over damp towel. I did not disconnect dampeners, just cleaned them. I used the WIC reset utility.
I received the error message before I used the WIC utility. I did not receive any error when I reset counter. I plan to get an external waste bottle but would like to get printer running before I purchase. I have not replaced the inkpads in printer. I removed them, cleaned the pads but did not put back in yet. Right now the bottom of printer is empty and the ink waste tube is sticking out of printer bay. Put clean pads back inside I guess?
I’ll look and clean again the inside of chambers, etc.
Yes, the printer head moves back and fourth when I start it up, just like usual. The error massage pops up at end of start-up cycle. I’ll look at chip sensors, cartridge chamber today. I look forward hearing back from you - thank you!

Thanks for the additional information cbphoto.

Yes, you will need some soft of absorbent pads in the inside of your printer, and I recommend also installing the external waste ink bottle.
Did the WIC utility indicate it was successful? I don’t have much trust in that program, as I’ve only used it once on a 1430- it seemed to work, but the flashing light error returned the next day, and had to be reset again… I have had great results resetting the waste ink sensor using the Adjustment Program, so stick to using that. I wonder if that’s what’s going on with your printer?

I hope this helps, best regards~ Dana

Ok, wasn’t sure if putting back the inkpads would make a difference but I’ll put back in. They’re clean now. Is there a waste ink sensor? It seemed the WIC utility worked. It says the counter is reset. Maybe I’ll try the adjustment program too. I’ll order a waste tank (i did today for my old 2200 actually which is getting me by for now) but don’t want to spend more $ on this printer until I can get it going or unless you think that’ll make a difference. I bought and installed all new inks after the error hoping it would make the difference but no such luck. That was an expensive attempted fix. I’ll insert the pads tonight, look everything over and let you know if anything is different. Thanks again!

I don’t think the presence of pads will resolve your error, but they need to be there or else your printer will start dripping ink out the bottom and cause a huge mess. From what you describe, it sounds like the printer is displaying a waste ink pad full, which is why I suggested trying to reset the sensor using the Adjustment Program in case the WIC utility isn’t fully/correctly working.

I wish you all the best~ Dana

Well, I tried the adjustment program on a PC, reset the inkwaste counter but it did not make a difference. When I hit the status button in the adjustment program, it said fatal error. Not exactly sure what that means but doesn’t sound good. I’m running out of solutions. What would create a fatal error message? Any other ideas to get this going? I might just put the printer back together, and drop off at a Epson tech center. Apparently they’ll send it to Epson for a complete overhaul for around $400 I was told. On the other hand I could buy a new r3000 which comes with a two year warranty for about $150 bucks more than a repair. Or maybe even a larger format printer. Any suggestions? Expensive lessons learned. If I had the external waste tank from the start, probably could have avoided all this. For now, I ordered an external waste tank for my older 2200 which is getting me by. Any other last hope suggestions before I toss in the towel?

It’s hard to know what is causing your fatal error- it could be related to removing the waste ink pads from the printer, possibly a part was moved or not put back correctly, or it may be due to not using the print head cleaning kit as instructed… I suspect your dismantling the machine and removing waste ink pads.

The printer had the fatal error message before I took anything apart. It was during the cleaning cycle when the printer stopped. I have not put everything back yet. Well, that’s too bad. Unless I can fix, I’m going to put it back together and drop it off for a overhaul repair I guess. I’ll order an inkwaste container if its repairable. I installed an external tank on my old 2200 just recently and I could not believe how much ink is already in the tank. What was Epson thinking when designing? More $ I guess.

Sorry, I think the best solution is bringing the printer to a repair center to get whatever the problem is fixed… Hopefully they discover it’s just something simple.

Best regards~ Dana