Epson R3000 chipset battery life question

Hi,

I’ve just purchased a new set of nine chipsets for my R3000 cartridges and they are dated Dec 2012. Having already had the battery die in one of my cartridges much earlier than on the others, and reading that the battery is in constant use from the point in time it is originally put into the chipset, I’m concerned that the batteries have already had eight months of discharge. What is a reasonable shelf life for a chipset’s battery given that it discharges continuously even when not attached to a cartridge, and that your documentation leads me to expect to get a year of use, on average, once a chipset is attached to a cartridge?

Thanks,
John

Hi John~

I apologize for not responding sooner, somehow your post slipped past me!

Yes, we have been informed by the chip manufacturer that the batteries are always “on” with the cartridge chips that have batteries on the back (R3000, R2000, 4020 and Pro 4900), therefore the batteries have a limited life of about a year.
The chips themselves will likely last several years, and batteries can be fairly easily replaced as needed. We have asked the chip manufacturer about adding a thin plastic pull tab under the battery, so they are not being drained of life while waiting to be sold, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like this is going to happen…

Please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,

I’m sorry to say it, but it doesn’t seem right that you sell chipsets with potentially 2/3’s of their battery life gone (eight months gone for the set I bought). I’m not having trouble changing batteries, but many people would. Would it be possible to change the battery holder to one designed for replacing batteries? Your customers could put the batteries in when they get new cartridges or chipsets and get the full life of the batteries. I realize the chipsets would have to cost a bit more, but I think it would be worth it.

John

Hi John~

I apologize for not responding sooner, we just returned to the office after being closed during holiday vacation.

We have considered different possibilities for how to best handle the battery life issue. The cartridge manufacturer actually didn’t know or inform us of the limited battery life, and fact they are always “on” when connected to the chip, but we discovered this after experiencing errors after about a year, and after working with the manufacturer, have determined the chip batteries have a limited life of about a year.
Originally, we thought about adding plastic pull tabs between the batteries, so they wouldn’t have connection with the chip and be “on” until the user removes the plastic strip, but the cartridge manufacturer didn’t want to do this, and we feel it would need to be done in the beginning manufacturing process (for many reasons, we can’t do that step here). We also considered having the batteries and chips packed separate, and instructing the customer to install the battery before using the chip, but there are some concerns about this, and we need to find a solution that will work best for all of our customers. I can inquire about modifying the plastic chip base to be easier to replace the battery, but expect it will be expensive to have a new mold made, and we haven’t had customers report problems replacing batteries, so although the current situation isn’t ideal, we’re trying to find a good solution, but expect remaking the mold is not possible.

Did the new chips resolve the errors you were experiencing?

Please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: