Epson R2000 -- 'Yellow and Magenta' Cartridges... Are consistently 'NOT Recognized!'

Good Afternoon Dana and Walker,

My printer (Epson Stylus Photo R2000) was tested last week and again last night with Epson OEM Cartridges – Without any problems.

The ‘Filling Procedure’ as per the Refillable Cartridge Instructions for Epson 1400/1430, R1900, R2000 & R2880 (Insert #106) was then followed. The numbers on the Refill Cartridges and the Epson OEM Cartridges were compared to see if they match (And they do).

Next, the whole set of IJM Cartridges were ‘repeatedly’ removed and the Power and USB Cables were disconnected. The Printer was left off overnight (‘Hard’ Reset). Then, the Printer’s Power Cord was plugged back in; the Printer was turned back on and the whole set of Refillable IJM Cartridges were re-inserted.

However [I]‘Without Fail’…

[/I]Both the Yellow (V6.2 1594R 27) and Magenta (V6.2 1593R 27) Cartridges are consistently ‘NOT Recognized’. This morning once again in desperation… I pulled another Yellow and Magenta Cartridge from my 2nd Set of IJM CartridgesBut ‘All to No Avail!’ Once again… The Yellow and Magenta Cartridges were not recognized. :frowning:

The Chips on both sets of Yellow and Magenta Cartridges were of course inspected… And they are Clean, Flat, Secure and Un-damaged. It would therefore appear to me… That perhaps the four (4) Cartridges (2 Yellow and 2 Magenta) and/or their ‘respective’ Chips are defective – And in need of replacing?

Please advise. Thank-you!

[I]Kind Regards,

[/I]
[FONT=georgia]-Tim.

[/FONT]

Are these IJM carts for the R2000? AFAIK, all the IJM carts for this printer had battery-style chips. Assuming that’s the case, I’d replace the little button batteries. There are articles on the support site about how to do this.

Hello Brian… Thank-you for your prompt Message Reply and suggestion. Greatly appreciated!
Yes, these are of course IJM Cartridges.

Brian, I just checked and you were correct. These Cartridges do use Button-Cell type 377 Batteries.

http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?150-How-to-replace-chip-on-refillable-R3000-cartridge
http://www.inkjetmall.com/wordpress/product-use/r3000-cartridge-batteries/

Since, I just ordered these Cartridges only a little over two (2) Months ago (September 23, 2016)…
I never anticipated the Batteries already being ‘Dead’. *You would expect them to be good on New Cartridges!

Once again… Thank-you for your assistance Brian!
I will now get on the Telephone in the morning and see what Wells @ IJM has to say. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,[I] -Tim.

[/I]

As I’ve read these forums there seem to be a number of reasons why IJM stopped stocking the battery-style chips for the R3000. One reason was stock management. Typically they source these carts in large batches, and the batteries only last a year roughly. It wasn’t a cheap exercise to replace them all. The one and only batch of the R2000 carts was a particularly difficult case as initially they sold so few sets. A few years back there was a deal being offered for those who were prepared to buy a number of R2000 sets as-is, i.e. with the batteries probably flat. However since then the R2000 has increased in popularity and I believe the stock of carts has dwindled, and I suspect those deals have finished.

Brian, thank-you for providing the thread update and for that additional ‘Background Information’…
Re: Refillable Cartridges and Battery-style Chipsets.

You will be happy to know (*That ‘Very First Thing’ this Morning)…
I received a prompt and courteous e-Mail Message Reply – From Wells @ IJM.

When they say… “We take Customer Support very seriously at InkjetMall” and that they want ‘Happy Customers’ – [I]
They REALLY Do Mean It!

[/I]My previous concerns and R2000 Refillable Cartridge problem was resolved immediately…
'In Full and to my 'Complete Satisfaction.

Thank-you Wells, Jon and Team… For your very prompt and continuedIndustry Leading Customer Support.
It was truly, greatly appreciated and Exceeded my Expectations!:slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

-Tim.

Sorry again for the delay.

Dana and I are under the gun making hundreds of Pro curves this week . . .

Testing and sending R2000 carts tomorrow (they come in to our facility tonight).

best,
-Walker

No problem at all Walker… Understood in full!
There is no need to apologize (*I figured that Dana and yourself were just ‘especially’ busy – Yesterday).

Thank-you for the status update!
Best also, [I]

-Tim.[/I]

Walker - does this mean that IJM have ordered more R2000 carts from your supplier because of increased demand, or are these still from the same initial batch? If a new batch, do they also have battery chips?

I’ll check w/ Wells in the morning. I am no-where near inventory management.

best,
Walker

Thanks. This partly influences how hard I recommend the R2000. I think they’re a good printer for Piezo, but a source of reliable carts is needed. A while back IJM was trying to shift them due to lack of interest and flat batteries, as I mentioned above. But then the word was that there weren’t all that many sets left. In more recent times there has been an upsurge of interest in this printer, and perhaps you ordered more.

Having an R2000 and having bought two sets of cartridges from IJM last summer, I can confirm that I struggled with exactly the same problem you describe when I started Piezography. IJM sent me a third set, but again, same problem. Than I replaced all batteries and the problem was completely solved.

As Brian said, if these carts are left in stock unsold, their batteries will be dead by the time they get sold. Testing whether the battery is the cause of the issue is easy if you have a voltmeter: read those two round test point on the chip and check that you get 1.55 V. In my case two of the sets had all batteries dead, and one just a couple of them.

Replacing the batteries is very easy and takes only a few minutes. Battery-less carts don’t have this problem, however they reset every time you remove them, so their ink level reading is totally unreliable. I strongly prefer carts with batteries, now that I know how to perform their maintenance.

That’s not my understanding and experience. Battery-less carts have auto-reset chips, and these only reset when they read as empty and are removed and replaced. And filled of course, but that does nothing for the reset routine. The problem with this system is that the need to refill often occurs at an inconvenient time. Moreover, each chip will reset at a different time, so not only are you perpetually refilling carts, but you get a staggered series of refills and an associated head-clean after each one, which will up your ink wastage considerably. This is less of a problem with printers like the R3000, P600 and the Pro printers, as their design means that there isn’t a head-clean each time a chip resets, but you still get staggered refills. I’d much prefer manual reset chips, and the batteries are a minor inconvenience to be able to have that. But I can well understand that it causes stock management problems for IJM.

[QUOTE=paorin;12417]Having an R2000 and having bought two sets of cartridges from IJM last summer, I can confirm that I struggled with exactly the same problem you describe when I started Piezography. IJM sent me a third set, but again, same problem. Than I replaced all batteries and the problem was completely solved.

As Brian said, if these carts are left in stock unsold, their batteries will be dead by the time they get sold. Testing whether the battery is the cause of the issue is easy if you have a voltmeter: read those two round test point on the chip and check that you get 1.55 V. In my case two of the sets had all batteries dead, and one just a couple of them.

Replacing the batteries is very easy and takes only a few minutes. Battery-less carts don’t have this problem, however they reset every time you remove them, so their ink level reading is totally unreliable. I strongly prefer carts with batteries, now that I know how to perform their maintenance.[/QUOTE]

@paorin…

Thank-you for taking the time to write. Greatly appreciated!

Being a new Piezography user like myself… You can definitely relate to all of my Struggles/Frustrations
to try to get things ‘initially’ to work (*Since you experienced this exact same problem yourself).

Yes, I do have a Digital Voltmeter.
Therefore, I will apply your suggestion to check the Batteries on my remaining R2000 Cartridges. Thank-you!

Kind Regards, -Tim.

Now, while I haven’t started to use my auto-reset chips from IJM, my understanding is that they reset when you remove and replace them as you say, AND the cart has given a refill notice to your computer. So, removing and replacing the cart when full won’t reset it. However, here is the danger. If you refill the cart when it’s partially full, it won’t reset. Thus, the cart will be full, but will read half full. Later when the cart tells your computer it needs to be refilled, you will then notice that the cart will be half full of ink when you remove the cart. If you simply replace the cart to reset the chip without refilling it, you will be in danger of running the cart dry.

While it may be a pain to refill the carts when you get the refill notification, it’s probably a good idea to do so anyway when the cart is half full of ink. Earlier, Walker had a good suggestion to attach the needle directly onto the nipple thingy of the ink bottle and refill that way instead of using syringes. This is easy if you have smaller bottles, but I wouldn’t try this with the larger bottles of ink. This does make refilling much easier and quicker.

Thanks for the information about the batteries. I, too, have a few carts reading “unrecognized”. I may have known about that before but had forgotten.

If you find you are getting random missing nozzles, check the cellophane at the exit ports on the carts. I was having terrible trouble with this until I carefully trimmed the excess cellophane and now have consistently good nozzle checks.

Larry

Oh yes, about the battery vs autoreset chip carts, they are really convenient for regular use. However, for maintenance if you have a stubborn clog, if your printer may not do a power clean if there’s not enough ink. Simply refilling this cart will not work either, because it will not autoreset the chip. You can be really stuck in this situation. I will always keep a set of battery chips for this purpose. I believe, if you are stuck in this situation, it is possible to start up your printer and unplug the printer while the head is parked on the capping station. Then, take a syringe and [I]suck the ink from the head. I have never tried it yet, but Walker had told me once that this should work.

Larry

In another thread, Walker mentioned that the next batch of R2000 carts will be ARC. ARC carts make some sense for the R3000, but they’d be a pain for the R2000.

In the R3000, you need to regularly remove the carts to agitate them, and in doing so it was possible to accidentally short the two little reset pins on the chip, causing the ink level to be reset. If you didn’t notice this and top up the cart, then there’s a strong risk that you’d run out of ink, which causes a world of pain in an ink lines and damper printer. Moreover, the carts are larger so there is more time between the auto-resets, and most importantly, the auto-reset doesn’t trigger a head clean in this style of printer.

None of this applies in the R2000. You don’t need to remove and agitate the carts, as the head moving back and forward does this, if you print at least once a week. Auto-resetting a chip does trigger a head clean, so you’re endlessly auto-resetting and refilling and getting an endless series of staggered head cleans.

I understand the problems that the little batteries cause, but the R2000 is the one printer where they make sense. IJM just needs to better educate customers, perhaps even including a set of batteries with the carts.

[This is all written on the assumption that there wouldn’t be a chip resetter for R2000 ARC chips, like there is for the R1430, R1900, R2880.)

Brian,

As I understand it, this is a US thing about shipping batteries. Cart manufacturers have moved to ARC chips so they don’t have to ship batteries. We are all fed the line that ARC chips are better because you don’t have to remember to reset the carts.

Larry