Epson P9000 cleaning error

Hi all - looking for advice. I work at a school and we have a P9000 that hasn’t gotten much use lately, but we have been doing cleanings and nozzle checks every few weeks. A few days ago we switched from photo black to matte, and now it won’t switch back. It gets to 99% cleaning then says “cleaning error.” Even on startup, it occasionally says “Automatic cleaning error.”

We’ve already wasted a lot of ink along the way as whenever we turn off the machine then back on again it does a cleaning. I squirted some pizeoflush on the cleaning stations and did a flooded paper towel clean under the head.

The nozzle check prints fine so I’m not sure what the deal is.

Just updated the firmware and I get the same error when trying to switch from matte to photo black.

I haven’t run a power clean. Do you think it might help even though the nozzle check is fine??

Could this be a problem with whatever sensor reads the heads?
Is there a way to get it back to photo black through a service menu? (I’ll try to find a copy of the service manual)

Thanks for any help!

hmm, this may be under voltage on the nozzle check pad. This can cause cleaning errors that are not real. However, you may want to take top/right covers off and actually use a swabit (cleaning kit) on the head itself, not just the wipe back and forth method but actually wiping with the swabit. You can have a deflected nozzle that needs more TLC.

best,
Walker

Thanks, Walker. I’ll order that kit and give what you suggested a try! Fingers crossed it’s not something electrical, but it’s good to know that might be an issue.

Hi Walker,

I have a similar issue (Sure color p9000), Also a very stubborn clog on the light cyan. If I understand correctly are you talking about cleaning the print head directly with a swab and not by dragging the print head over a piezo flush soaked paper towel? ( like in the cleaning video for the 9900 printers? Also what can be done if you need to travel for a month short of draining all the ink and replacing the entire system with piezo flush? Is there a program of some sort that can automatically due head cleanings and nozzle checks while someone is away?

Thanks,

Brian

correct

you can leave it for a month no issue

-Walker

Thanks for replying. In order to clean the print heads with a swab I assume that can only be done by removing the printhead from the carriage? Or is there some other access? If it requires removal are there instructions somewhere for that? I’ve already had to replace my print head on my 9900 using cone ink and am hoping to avoid that on my P9000.

You also mentioned removing top right covers, are you referring to the cover which has the control buttons? Is there a way to buy or get the service manual for the P9000?

As for the printer standing idle for a month, that’s what caused my current clog. In all this time no one has come up with a program where you can schedule cleanings and nozzle checks either by timer or remotely?

thanks,

Brian

Dear Brian, the service manual for right cover removal instructions is available at: https://groups.io/g/EpsonWideFormat in the files section when you are a member.

The head surface is accessible from behind the printer when the cover is off.

As for the printer standing idle for a month, that’s what caused my current clog. In all this time no one has come up with a program where you can schedule cleanings and nozzle checks either by timer or remotely?

Many programs do this. Q-Image has this feature as well as some other ones referenced over the years. The SCP printers have this option built into the printer.

Best regards
-Walker